Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Game...

forum rss feed
Author

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 07:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay wether The Game is or isnt your favourite album, what's your favourite songs from it?

This album isnt one of my favourites but it's still GREAT just like the others.
The reason being is, they lost abit of there rock n roll feel on this album and there next album to come which was Hot Space (I still like that album too).

So i was just wondering what's your best songs on this album.

Heres mine:
Dragon Attack - The bass is great on here!

Rock It (Prime Jive) - Alot of stuff going on here, Roger and Freddie together makes it much better.

Dont Try Suicide - This song has a clear message to everyone, again the bass is good.

Sail Away Sweet Sister - This song is one of my faves of Brians, it's the best song on this album for me, i guess.

Coming Soon - I always thought this song was great for adverts, it's very catchy.

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 08:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually love this album. I don't think I can pick one song as a favorite. They flow so well into one another that the album is like one never-ending song for me.

If I HAD to choose one.... hmmm... Dragon Attack. Or... Save Me. Or... Crazy Little Thing. Or...

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 09:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love Save Me and Sail Away Sweet Sister: amazing harmonies, wonderful bass, great guitar work, simple-but-nice piano & synths, nice drumming.

Those two are my favourites, I love Need Your Loving as well (the song, not so much the recording).

Never been particularly fond of Dragon Attack.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Roy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 10:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think The Game is a great album, but not my favorite. If i should name some songs I really like from this album it would be Dragon Attack, Another One Bites The Dust, Rock It, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Coming Soon and Save Me.

ok, as you see I picked many songs, and that is because the album is damn good, so are the songs.

heyheyheyhey, it was the DNA...
The Lost Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 192 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 11:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

- Save me
- Sail away sweet sister
- Don't try suicide
- Another one bites the dust
- Dragon attack
- Crazy littel thing called love

Never been very fond of 'Play the game', actually...

"Okay, you have to stop the Q-tip when there's resistance!"

-Chandler to Joey s2e1

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FunnyFella wrote:

Never been very fond of 'Play the game', actually...

Same here. The video is funny though.

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 12:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I would say Dragon Attack...The Game and The Works are the only albums where I dont know more than 5 songs

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

its_a_hard_life. wrote:

Heres mine:

Rock It (Prime Jive) - Alot of stuff going on here, Roger and Freddie together makes it much better.

Dont Try Suicide - This song has a clear message to everyone, again the bass is good.

Sail Away Sweet Sister - This song is one of my faves of Brians, it's the best song on this album for me, i guess.

Coming Soon - I always thought this song was great for adverts, it's very catchy.

I actually think these are the weakest songs on the album, save Sail Away Sweet Sister, which is surely one of the best. Though I have warmed up to Rock It (Prime Jive) and Coming Soon in the past couple of years. Not that I DISLIKE any of these songs, of course.

My picks:

1. Another One Bites the Dust
2. Need Your Loving Tonight
3. Sail Away Sweet Sister
4. Play the Game

Of course Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Save Me are great songs, but I think I'm a bit worn out on them, so I left them off the list.

Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Farlander wrote:

its_a_hard_life. wrote:

Heres mine:

I actually think these are the weakest songs on the album, save Sail Away Sweet Sister, which is surely one of the best. Though I have warmed up to Rock It (Prime Jive) and Coming Soon in the past couple of years. Not that I DISLIKE any of these songs, of course.

My picks:

1. Another One Bites the Dust
2. Need Your Loving Tonight
3. Sail Away Sweet Sister
4. Play the Game

Of course Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Save Me are great songs, but I think I'm a bit worn out on them, so I left them off the list.

I agree :-)

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Every track on this album is great in it's own right. This was my induction album, so I know it probably better than any others. Instead, I'd like to list what I don't like about THE GAME. Much shorter list:

1. PTG - The sound effects in the middle. Sounds like Asteroids or Galaxian. The ones at the top are okay though.

2. DA - The fact that Hollywood added the rap in the remix. The original is gold.

3. ABTD - Again the sound effects are a little too much. And I would have grabbed the cymbal on that last hit. End it even more abruptly.

4. NYLT - Too much effect on Freddie's voice? Then again, makes it sound more 50s be-bop.

5. CLTCL - The two breakdowns should have been more percussively different.

6. RI(PJ) - More Freddie. Roger was fine.

7. DTS - Could've had a real nice long funky guitar thingy during this. Maybe mimic some of Freddie's lines with it.

8. SASS - More effect on Brian's voice. Maybe a doubler during his lower register notes.

9. CS - Too short

10. SM - Maybe leave the electric off this solo. The acoustic solo was going so well.

Vallentine's user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1.Crazy little thing called love
This is one of my two most favourite songs.I have no words to describe how lovely it is.And also Freddie looks like some kind of LEATHER DEITY^^

2.Save Me
The guitar solo is great,and Freddie's voccalls power is incredible.

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 13:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Right the reason why i havent picked:
Crazy Little Thing Called Love
Another One Bites The Dust
Save Me
Play The Game

Is because, they are all on Greatest Hits 1 and i had that CD way before i got the actual albums and i got abit tired of listening to them. Dont get me wrong i still love them but i'm so used to hearing it always that I dont really like them alot as my faves.

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mircrowave wrote:

1. PTG - The sound effects in the middle. Sounds like Asteroids or Galaxian. The ones at the top are okay though.

Absolutely agree. I actually love this song, but admit to fast-forwarding past this part... or at the least, looking around to make sure no one realizes I'm playing it.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

TheGame user not visiting Queenzone.com
Yes dear, i DO want it all ;)
TheGame
Royalty: 1076 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What a wonderful album, very nice one!
My favourite is impossible to choose, but i really like AOBTD and Rock it. I think they should have played Rock it more live!!

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 15:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but The Game for me is Queen's worst album. There is no out and out hard rock, save for Dragon Attack perhaps, which is ruined by Mack's soulless production. It still has its good moments though

PTG- I do like this song- it's too slow maybe which is why I prefer the faster live version but at least it has the pleasant Queen hallmarks.
DA- Probably the best song- again better live (says a lot about Mack!)but the guitar work is great and the percussion solo works well.
AOBTD- Well it was good funk music, I suppose- much better on stage. JD at his best.

NYLT- Trips over its own power chords- it's a MOR light rock song that a band like Queen should have avoided. John Deacon at his worst I am afraid.
CLTCL- A good single- a novelty piece- needs a piano though to give it some bottom end. the handclapping annoys me.
Rock it- Appalling song. How did this ever get on a Queen record. It's new wave hogwash, a horrid,underwhelming riff, dated synthesisers. it's the sound of a band trying to rock but who have forgotten how to.

DTS- Just as bad as Rock It- Very badly structured- annoying finger clicks and a fat bass (it ruined GDML as well!)More new wave garbage with some 1950s gestures thrown in.

SASS- A good ballad, yes. Sung beautifully and synthesisers are used tastefully. Thank goodness for Brian May's song writing

CS- Again, it's very limp, threadbare rock. Completely underwhelming. It would have been great if Roger had made it heavier like SHA but instead it does nothing for me. Too sparse.

SM- Over-rate din my view but still very good. Could have done with some bigger vocal harmonies and for me it gets boring after a while. Still the chorus is great and the acoustic work is stunning.

hj
TheImpossibleMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 16:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Game is a great introductory ablum, but I don't think it really stands up compared to many of their 70's albums...There isn't much flow; it feels more like a singles album than a bonafide LP.

I may be jaded; when I was a kid, I owned the Greatest Hits I and II for years before getting a single other album, so many of the tracks (Another One, Play the Game, Save Me, Crazy Little Thing) were absolutely killed for me, and I skipped them often, leaving me with much less.

This is what you wanted, this is what you're going to get.
Phato user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 225 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Game... What a wonderful album!

The title track (Play the Game)
is a great love song...

Dragon Attack, Need Your Lovin' Tonight,
Rock It, they really rock!

Save Me and Sail Away are so sweet...

Coming Soon -what a intriguing rhytm!
just like Don't Try Suicide...

Bites The Dust and Crazy Little Thing -
what can I say? Two of the most famous Queen
singles... Is there anyone on Earth who
doesn't know 'em?

Wonderful album, guys!
Really wonderful...

When you're feeling down and your resistance is low...

Light another cigarette and let yourself go
father to my son user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 375 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 17:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

coming soon for me on dts 5.1 , then sail away sweet sister

word goes around
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 03:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, most of it's great, but these are my favourites:
AOBTD
CLTCL
PTG
Dragon Attack
Don't Try Suicide

I still hate Coming Soon and Save Me, though.

This can't end well.
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 13:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my 3rd favourite album....

favourites are - Dust, Play The Game, Dragon Attack, Crazy Little Thing, Save Me.