Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Let's talk about Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy

forum rss feed
Author

Roy Queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 221 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 09:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you guys think? For me know, this is one hell of a good song.. My favorite for the time! It's damn catchy and has a great sound. Just wandered if it's only me that loves this piece of mastership within' music?

heyheyheyhey, it was the DNA...
« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 09:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like it as well! Great tune and lyrics!

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perfect cabaret song. Freddie was genius with this type of song on a rock album.

TheImpossibleMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 16:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The gayest song Queen ever did, and I mean that very literally...I think most (as in 95%) of the love songs by Queen were about men and women, but I am convinced that GOFLB is about man-on-man love/sex.

This is what you wanted, this is what you're going to get.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TheImpossibleMan wrote:

The gayest song Queen ever did, and I mean that very literally...I think most (as in 95%) of the love songs by Queen were about men and women, but I am convinced that GOFLB is about man-on-man love/sex.

it's a parody
it was Freddie's attempt at Noel Coward vaudeville style...so by default you are also saying that...seaside rendezvous, lazing, and millionaire - are all gay too?

go deo na hÉireann
TheImpossibleMan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 16:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

TheImpossibleMan wrote:

it's a parody
it was Freddie's attempt at Noel Coward vaudeville style...so by default you are also saying that...seaside rendezvous, lazing, and millionaire - are all gay too?
No, because I didn't get the impression that he was talking about gay sex. The style of music is one thing, the lyrics are another, and the lyrics of GOFLB are very gay.

This is what you wanted, this is what you're going to get.
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 17:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

TheImpossibleMan,
GOFLB is very much in the style of vaudeville/cabaret music.
Right down to the language.
If you listen to some cabaret music from the era of Noel Coward you would know that.
There is nothing that sets this as being about gay sex/love any more than any of Freddie's other vaudeville/cabaret songs.
Freddie was great at digging into different styles of music and picking up the nuances that set the genre apart.

i'm going slight mad... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 92 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 21:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

erm...i think i agree with theimpossible man...the lyrics suggest a gay relationship. the style of the song is, of course, is very much like seaside roundevous etc. they can all be described as camp, because of the vaudevile nature of the style, but none of them apart from GOFLB imply to me in their LYRICS a gay relationship.

i'm not wierd i'm gifted
7Innuendo7 user not visiting Queenzone.com
7Innuendo7
Bohemian: 816 posts

Posted: 10 Mar 06, 23:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

imho the solos in Good Old-Fashioned Lover boy are similar to I Want to Break Free

When a red hot man meets a white hot lady, Hoop Diddy Diddy, Hoop Diddy Doo!
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't care if the song is about two men or two women or man and women, the song is bloody brilliant!....as is the whole ADATR album.

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 02:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whether the lyrics relate to gay relationships or not is irrelevant and I don't think they do anyway, it's another Vaudeville tune.

Personally I cannot stand this song, to be honest.

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 03:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

I don't care if the song is about two men or two women or man and women, the song is bloody brilliant!....as is the whole ADATR album.

There could be three of them, you know...

This can't end well.
nemesis69 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 04:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

....IS a opusmaster of Freddie God Mercury... i estudent on a schoolloverboys...:)...

THX ALL!!! (Gabriel-Barcelona ).

Freddie I Miss You.....Gabriel
bohemian_killer_queen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think it is a awsome song and i just looove the lyrics and the person singin, ode to Freddie!!!
even if the lyrics suggest a gay relationship what does it matter? the song rocks anyway!

Ashleigh Mercury Depp
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 07:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It has a lovely jazzy feel to it. I for one think it is about a straight relationship- old fashioned lover boys of the twenties were rather effeminate compared to today but that shouldn't be an issue anyway. I love the vocal harmonies to- so tightly structured in a way that oozed precision. Like Kiler Queen, it had those little nuances, like the clock chiming at the restaurant that made Queen such a great band.

hj
dougie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 67 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So which lyrics imply that this song is about a gay relationship? IMO there are two perspectives in the lyrics: 1. the loverboy himself and 2. a group of outsiders during the chorus -- they are asking THE LOVERBOY, "What you doing tonight, hey boy?"

I don't see the lyrics as being about a gay relationship necessarily. (And if they are, who cares?) However, anything that's Noel Cowardesque should come off as gay to some degree. :)

There are a lot of posts in these forums speculating as to the "gayness" of Freddie's lyrics -- particularly that Bohemian Rhapsody is all about the homosexual man killing off his heterosexual side. It's all a load of rubbish to me . . . to me . . . to meeeeeeeee!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 01:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree, I don't see what the whole gay thing has to do with the music. 'thelmpossibleman' seems to be a little on the homophobe side judging by some of his posts, but ignorance of some people never seems to amaze me. "lover boy" is the style of queen that seperated them from the average rock band, if it wasn't for this style queen they would have been just another rock band with little originality. I love this style of 20's meets 70's rock. Only freddie could write such gems!

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 11:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this song! I think it's flawless...but hey that's just my opinion

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
billycat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 11:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally think it's a great song and a classic in the Queen catalog. I've always felt that it was aimed at being more "gay" related than not. It's very rare to have a love song that doesn't express the notion of being about the opposite sex which this song has none of. It does however loosely speak both to and from a boys perspective. I suppose there is nothing completely defining this song as being gay-related which does give it a sort of universal appeal but I've always assumed a gay theme to it. I don't understand why it would shock or annoy anyone to consider the possiblities since clearly Freddie did have those sort of feeling towards men and chances are likely that in Freddies mind he was singing this to another guy.

BTW, who is Mike Stone and why does he get additional vocal credits on this song in the studio? Did he ever sing on any other Queen or Freddie songs? Is it possible that maybe he's the good old-fashioned lover boy being refered to? just a guess...

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

billycat wrote:

BTW, who is Mike Stone and why does he get additional vocal credits on this song in the studio? Did he ever sing on any other Queen or Freddie songs?

Great question. I know Mike Stone was their long-time engineer but I don't imagine he is the lover boy being referred to. . . but I always wondered, with Queen being the great vocalists they were, why they bothered having Mike Stone sing on this one?

I think I can pick out his voice clearly on the lines "Hey, boy, where'd you get it from. Hey, boy, where did you go"?

I also love Brian's psuedo clarinet trio all done with overdubbed guitars throughout the song . . and the little guitar "hiccup" Brian does during the solo. What a nice touch. I always thought Brian's genius always shined brightest on Freddie's songs.

"Some day, one day. . . "