Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > boston/worcester reviews

forum rss feed
Author

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 01:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Please let us all know about the gig by posting your reviews here.

john pistlli
Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 01:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello! I'll copy and paste the mini-review I just put up at QOL: As for the show! Awesome. The highlight for me was definitely Dragon Attack. It really blew me away. It was super tight, just like it was on the WWRY dvd from Montreal. Better yet, though, they do the whole song. (including "Showdown, go find another customer", etc. ) This was one kick ass crowd. Very loud, very knowledgable. My whole section never sat once, even during the guitar solo. And how about that guy in the front row with the huge Freddie banner? Fantastic! I also saw a "There can be only one" banner, which really made me smile. I also noticed the guy that lead Brian back to his spot with a small flashlight as Bad Company began. Those of us who knew about last night's DC incident probably chuckled. Did anyone see towards the end of Alright Now, when Paul pretended to throw his mike stand to Spike, and Spike kinda went "Phew" and did the sign of the cross? That was funny. I really think they enjoyed themselves, the place was packed and was so loud. Great night.

Man Made Paradise
Shane Jazz

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 01:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian showed no ill effects from his fall in DC. He was very mobile and played up a storm! He really seemed to kick ass on Hammer to Fall! He also bounded up the stairs for his Last Horizon part with no problems.
As for the new song, Take Love, I like it a lot. It does sound like it came right out of the Bad Company songbook. When I saw Paul with the guitar, I thought they were going right into CLTCL. But that came next. I would really like to hear a bootleg version of Take Love, to try to figure out the lyrics a bit better. But all in all, a good song indeed. And the song Bad Company was fabulous. Seeing Paul at the piano naturally made me think of Freddie, and how great it would be to see him sitting there. I really want to see if Brian writes about tonight in his soapbox, because he had to be impressed with the crowd's size and enthusiasm.

Man Made Paradise
Shane Jazz

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here is a review in the Boston Herald of tonight's show: http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=129985&format=&page=1

Man Made Paradise
MiMi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ShaneJazz4 wrote:

Here is a review in the Boston Herald of tonight's show: http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musicNews/view.bg?articleid=129985&format=&page=1

Great review!

Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

was setlist the same?

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"I also noticed the guy that lead Brian back to his spot with a small flashlight as Bad Company began"

That's really funny :)

I do not want any google ads here.

james123 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 08:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Excellent! You attendees in the cities coming up are in for a treat. It pleased me to see Brian happy to return to New England and we even got a few smiles out of Roger as well. Exceeded my expectations which were not small. The pacing in terms of mixing the power numbers versus the softer ones was on the money.

Sound: The mix and sound engineering were the best I have EVER heard in the DCU. I saw 2 veterans at the mixing board. Also the video screens were turned off at some key moments the emphasize the band.

Lighting: Again perfection and innovation with subtle touches of simplification at some key moments. Everything was on queue. Many don't realize all the work that goes into this, and at showtime you have to deliver your best. 21 hours of pain - 3 hours of glory.

During Brian's "Brighton Rock-ish" solo he was applying these unique, brilliant, and haunting drone tones which took it to a new place. Proof to all us older musicians that we can continue growing on our instruments.

Paul Rodgers vocals were pristine throughout. He has an awful lot of subtle things going on - signs of a true master.

Roger Taylor pushed himself very hard on the drums - par for the course for him. There is a huge difference in playing a 2 1/2 hour set at age 60 versus 30 - if you play the drums you'll understand that, he delivered the goods in a big way. He also got out from behind the drums and delivered 2 very nice solo vocals again pointing out that he is great singer in his own right.

The rhythm guitarist (Jaime?) provided that perfect level of support to Brian and provided some nice grind to the Bad Company numbers. The bass player again another true profesional who knew the stuff front-to-back.

Hats off to Brian for doing this gig. From my vantage point and thru big binoculars, this professional was in clear pain but he was sucking it in and giving an extraordinary performance, fighting for it at times to make it that way.

Clearly he was pacing himself in a delicate balancing act. His back looked very much out of alignment, sort of like an "S" shape, walking looked painful for him. My back does the exact same thing when it goes out on me - those first 24 hours can be throbbing pain. I would not have been surprised if he was on potent painkillers/anti-inflammatories, but those only dull the pain a bit.

Late into the set and with the encouragement of the audience to help his back seemed to loosen up somewhat and the mobility and smiles became more prevalent.

Also Roger himself was wincing as well, hitting those drums hard is hard on the hands and body. Again, another professional sucking it in and giving a extraordinary performance.

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 08:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

IT WAS SO AMAZING.

roxxanne61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amazing amazing amazing AMAZING
WHERE WERE YOU GUYS IN THE 99? i couldnt figure it out!!!!
and i had my boyfriend wanting to get to the show
hates bars
heavy sigh
wanted to meet you all
I took over a hundred photos, no one cared about cameras, they didnt even check and we were right at the catwalk so there is no one in front of me
brian may, what can i say always was my hero
love pauls vocals, he can command a crowd like no one i have ever seen, well with the exception of one (freddie)
i cant wait for uniondale
its a long drive but i dont care if its 1000 miles it is worth the trip

JMIV user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

roxxanne61 wrote:

amazing amazing amazing AMAZING
WHERE WERE YOU GUYS IN THE 99? i couldnt figure it out!!!!
and i had my boyfriend wanting to get to the show
hates bars
heavy sigh
wanted to meet you all
I took over a hundred photos, no one cared about cameras, they didnt even check and we were right at the catwalk so there is no one in front of me
brian may, what can i say always was my hero
love pauls vocals, he can command a crowd like no one i have ever seen, well with the exception of one (freddie)
i cant wait for uniondale
its a long drive but i dont care if its 1000 miles it is worth the trip

The 99 was packed to the gills! No room to breathe! The show was surreal, it blew me away. I was impressed with the audience, we did ourselves proud! Can't wait to see what Brian says on his soapbox about last night, he (& Roger, Paul) seemed impressed as well. My voice is gone and I'm deaf this morning but I feel great! Cheers!

Gimme Gimme Gimme Fried Chicken!
Mr. Mercury 1975 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 101 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

BEST SHOW EVER. Sound quality was far better than NJ, which was pretty good in its own right...

I'm in the process of uploading my pics to photobucket (all 125 of them!). I'll post a link when I'm done. Not that anyone cares, but I was the guy at the end of the catwalk in section 1 with the Flash Gordon t-shirt.

Spread your wings and fly away...
Sportzfan76 user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sportzfan76
Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Set list changes :
- No '39.
- No Say it's Not True.
An extended version of All Right Now was played between WWRY & WATC.

I was right up against the Catwalk 9 rows back ! Slapped 5 with Paul during FBG and with Danny at the end of the show!

Nearly full arena - The House Was Rocked !

just got back. more later.

Rock & Roll just pays the bills...Only football gives us thrills.
it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I woke up this morning and thought it was a dream. I'm upset I didn't bring my camera =( Can anyone please email me pictures from the Worster show...my emial is sara1893@yahoo.com

I WAS ON THE BIG SCREEN!!!!!!!

fredhartman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 20 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They haven't played Say It's Not True on any of the US shows. That has already been discussed in many threads.

Kilpat1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 90 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they played it in miami fred

big queen fan in new york usa
lunatik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, it was a great show, good energy from the audience who seemed to really enjoy it, and the band reflected that in their performance. It seems like the band is really tight and performing well together. A fantastic way to spend an evening...

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quick question- Were you guys allowed to go up to the railing around the catwalk? Same question for those in DC.

You couldn't in Jacksonville and Atlanta. I'm hoping that isn't the case for most places.

lunatik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 26 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yup, you could go right up to the railing...

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 11 Mar 06, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

lunatik wrote:

Yup, you could go right up to the railing...

Good..I'm hoping that will be the case at the other shows I go to. We had to "keep the aisle clear" in Atlanta, and it SUCKED.