Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > REVIEWS: Long Island, NY / Nassau Colisseum

forum rss feed
Author

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, I guess I'm the first one to get home since I'm just 10 minutes from the colisseum.

Once again, awesome show. I'd post the same review for Worcester, but I don't feel like it. However, I have to point out that this setlist is becoming TOO PREDICTABLE. I seriously think that they should really rotate the songs, because the setlist is pretty much the same show after show. Not only that, but when you have a catalog of KICK ASS LIVE SONGS, why stick to the same old hits we've been hearing a countless number of times on the radio. Some of them really get the crowd pumped up, and others just don't do it as good. I'm dissapointed that they said that there were going to be surprises, but the only surprises were 'Take Love' (nice song, btw), and 'Dragon Attack'. Now, I don't mean to bash 'Dragon Attack', but these guys have a handful of songs that sound FAR A LOT BETTER live than 'Dragon Attack', but instead they had to pick the one that sounds like 'Another One Bites The Dust', which is already on the setlist.

P.S. New York SUCKS at enjoying rock concerts. When I went to Worcester, the majority of people on the higher levels stood up for most of the show, but here in NY they decided to rather sit on their asses for 2 hours. This is not the first time I've seen this happening, it also happened a couple of years ago when I went to see Aerosmith.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
The Stealer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Jingles!!! NY crowds can be different.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Is '39 back???

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin wrote:

Is '39 back???

Nope, and neither is "I Want It All".

"I Want It All" kicks "I Want To Break Free's" ass all the way to China.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn it..:-S

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm starting to think that the only ones who make middle aged New Yorkers stand on their feet are 'The Who' and 'The Stones'.

For everybody else they just sit on their asses.

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I'm starting to think that the only ones who make middle aged New Yorkers stand on their feet are 'The Who' and 'The Stones'.

oh how boring! ZZZZ

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Compliance Queen wrote:

Mr.Jingles wrote:

oh how boring! ZZZZ

Yeah peculiar crowds indeed...I am NOT a fan of the stones

bmayfan61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 18 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks very much for the review Mr. Jingles. I wrestled all day with going to this show tonight, but passed after considering the weather, the venue (Nassau Coliseum is one of the most depressing places to see anything, and Long Island isn't exactly NYC), and the possibility that the show would come fairly close to mirroring the NJ show (save for a song or two, it sounds about what happened).
I'm sorry to hear that the crowd may not have been that into it, but I really think if it were a different (that is, actual) NYC venue, it might have been a different story. Also a little disappointed to hear that they seem to be sticking to the same (or pretty close to the same) setlist, at least so far, Really thought they would have pulled out a stop or two, considering it was Danny Miranda's backyard.
I was still kicking thoughts around about Philly, but not so sure at this time. Sure hope things pick up a bit on the 14th.
Don't get me wrong, the show is still amazing (based on NJ), and anyone that hasn't seen it yet is in for a real treat. I wish I had the financial means to catch a few on this tour. But unfortunately, I can't shell out that kind of money to see basically the same show.
Thanks again for the update.

Mike

hotspacerules user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dragon Attack was worth the admission alone, but this was no where near as exciting as the NJ show - the set list needs to be changed up alot -i have no interest in seeing this show again, if its the same setlist - that being said, everyone was in top form and sounded great (This crowd blew, and was about 70% full)

Come back in the summer Queen, play Jones Beach, and do a new setlist - that'll be a real kick ass show

MiMi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 12 Mar 06, 23:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hotspacerules wrote:

Dragon Attack was worth the admission alone, but this was no where near as exciting as the NJ show - the set list needs to be changed up alot -i have no interest in seeing this show again, if its the same setlist - that being said, everyone was in top form and sounded great (This crowd blew, and was about 70% full)

Come back in the summer Queen, play Jones Beach, and do a new setlist - that'll be a real kick ass show

That's very distressing to hear. First, they drop '39, (without replacing it with another song) then I hear that the NY crowd sat on their butts, and the arena was only 70% full???

I was expecting the NY crowd to be totally insane- maybe the best of the tour. I'm very surprised to hear that they were so sedate.

Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There is a therory that "39'" was dropped once Brian injured himself in DC. The long periods of sitting on the stool and strumming like mad on the 12-string might be too painful for him with his sore ribs.

Just wanted to add that in....i don't think it has been dropped because it recieved poor audience participation. It was a pity it was'nt played in Worcester...it would have brought the house down as the Band had the audience in the palm of their hand from the start.

I very surprised to hear about what sounds like a poor reception in NY. I agree though, the venue has been said to not be that nice...a shame really.

Ah that's okay....they know they are loved in New England! :)

MiMi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 00:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deacons 1st Choice wrote:

There is a therory that "39'" was dropped once Brian injured himself in DC. The long periods of sitting on the stool and strumming like mad on the 12-string might be too painful for him with his sore ribs.

Just wanted to add that in....i don't think it has been dropped because it recieved poor audience participation. It was a pity it was'nt played in Worcester...it would have brought the house down as the Band had the audience in the palm of their hand from the start.

Ah that's okay....they know they are loved in New England! :)
Yeah, they had their first "hit" single there. I discovered Queen when I was living in Connecticut....

The reaction to '39 in Duluth was good. I think Brian hurt his ribs (according to the soapbox) so maybe he is in some pain still.

safkjgs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 00:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly prefer '39 to LOML...

Logans Waltz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 01:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had a terrific time, even more so than at
October's NJ show. The band's really
getting tighter. Man, Rodgers has a powerful
voice! Brian was on fire and Roger flat out
rocked. I wasn't sure if Rog's mic went out
or if he forgot a line in IILWMC (I think it
was "With the pistons a-pumping...")!

The Coliseum apparently had some sort of water
pipe leak which got us a free ticket upgrade
from section 311 to 209! Pretty sweet:)

Steven (my first post!)

roxxanne61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 03:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ditto to the crowd remaining seated
i felt like i was at the friggin opera
i was at the Worcester show and i swear to God I was the only one standing in the upper levels!!
I stood the whole time, screamed (for which I got nasty looks) sang, danced (again the looks)
the floor folk were great, sang great on love of my life
but it just lacked something, meaning the crowd
I guess maybe i was just spoiled by worcester, but it was a whole different atmosphere and weird too when brian didnt play on rogers drum solo
The band rocked though and whether the crowd liked it or not
I DROVE 3 AND A HALF HOURS FOR THAT SHOW < AND I LOVED IT

roxxanne61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

what i meant was i was at the worcester show and all the crowd stood the whole time, uppers and lowers
and for New York I was the only one standing up above

Chaka user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 03:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The audience in the higher levels may have been sedate but those of us on the floor were on our feet, moving, clapping, screaming, singing the entire time! I was on my feet at the first beat of "Lose Yourself" and I didn't stop moving until well after "God Save the Queen." The energy at that level was positively exhilirating, and I'm sure the band felt it as well. No, it wasn't quite as special as last year at NJ and no, the setlist couldn't quite match up without '39 and I Want It All, but this show was still nothing less than amazing. I thought their renditions of Tie Your Mother Down, Fat Bottomed Girls, Brian's Solo, Bad Company, and Can't Get Enough Of Your Love in particular were some of the finest moments I've heard from them, and the crowd-again, at least those of us on the floor-went absolutely crazy at all the right times. Great night, great performance, great band.

Shane Jazz user not visiting Queenzone.com
Shane Jazz
Bohemian: 687 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good point, Chaka, Bad Company is a killer song! I love it. I am glad you enjoyed yourself. It will all completely sink in soon. It took me a full day or two to suddenly realize what I had just seen. Thanks for the review.

Man Made Paradise
goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 13 Mar 06, 07:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't be too harsh on those in the upper reaches. It is a different atmosphere, and there's no need to stand most of the time (which is nice for us 'older' folks). My opinion is that many are checking them out for the first time, and sit there due to the ticket prices.
And most sit because they are not 'on top of the action'. There's still quite a few of the young 'uns standing and fist-pumping, and it is rather fun to watch. One still hears a lot of singing during the right moments, and there's lots of arms doing the gaga.

Another late arriving ( but very good sized) crowd. Was that the same on the European leg? Or is it the naive Americans, thinking that Paul Rodgers is the opening act?

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'