Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > An announcement...

forum rss feed
Author

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello Queen fans!

I realize it's been quite some time since I've been on this board. I've been purposely avoiding posting here, as life has been quite busy recently, but I do have exciting news.

Several years ago, I purchased a book called "The Complete David Bowie" by Nicholas Pegg. I was only a casual fan then, but I really liked what he did with it: the book was divided into several sections, with the first section detailing all of the songs - unreleased and officially released - Bowie did in alphabetical order; the second section was a chronological breakdown of all of his studio albums; the third section detailed his live performances; and so forth.

I was floored with what I read, and it turned me into an even bigger Bowie fan. I started to look around for a Queen version, but was disheartened to learn that their recorded works hadn't been given a very thorough look-in; certainly, I had wanted to find out the histories of many of Queen's lesser-known songs, and was disappointed that nobody had done so. Ideas started to formulate, and I adopted the attitude that if something's gotta be done, you might as well do it yourself.

I started to write and research, and came up with about 50 pages until, in September 2004, I had a massive hard drive crash and lost everything (including pictures and all of the music I had burned from CDs). I decided to abandon the project out of frustration, but about a month later I was so inspired again to write that I worked even harder to recreate what I had lost. Wanting to make sure that I was not doing this all for naught, I emailed Brian in November 2004 and told him what I was up to; he responded, saying it was a good idea and that I should go ahead with it. He gave me Greg Brooks's email address as a contact, which proved to be useless. Initially, Greg had asked me to contribute to a similar project that he was working on, but nothing ever came of that - not that I would have done so anyway.

Nevertheless, I continued to write and research - initially, the book was only going to focus on Queen's works, but sometime in the summer of 2005 I decided to expand it to include solo works as well. This was an added burden, as most of the solo recordings - especially those of The Cross - were unavailable. Thankfully, through some very helpful people here - Rip Van Winkle, Dan Corson, and Thijs, if I remember correctly - they sent me The Cross's material, though they didn't have any idea that it was for a project. For that, I am very grateful.

The live section will prove to be a hairy situation, as we already have Greg's "Queen Live" as a basis, and several other people already working on more complete projects and analyses. I've forseen the probability of in-depth projects, especially by Sir GH, being published in the near future; I've decided to keep the live section somewhat skeletal, so as not to upset the research of those who are more interested in the live recordings and are willing to devote their time and energy to such means. However, it wouldn't be completely Queen without the live portion, so a reference will be made for Mr. Scully's site as well as Bob's site, and that those will be the definitive works on Queen's live career.

Anyway, I continued to work on the project for most of 2005, not really sure what I would do with it if I ever finished it. In January 2006, I sent an email to the publisher of the David Bowie book - Reynolds & Hearn, based in England - with an informal email about what I was doing. They responded back, asking me to send some PDF files of what I had; I duly complied, and they responded once again saying they were very impressed and were going to send it around the company for others' reactions. After a few weeks, in February 2006, I got another email from them saying they were very impressed and want to go ahead with it. I didn't hear from them again until this morning.

I was offered a simple contract with them, and I

Walter B. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 741 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice and interesting reading Lester! I am looking forward to your writings.

Good luck and thank you for sharing this bit of information.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good luck with that, count me in as one who will buy a copy!

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good luck Lester! Show 'em all that QZers are the best!

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 12:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, that's great! Congrats! :-)

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 12:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wonderful news, Lester; I'll just curse you behind your back.

I'm sure there are many of us willing to help if you ever run into a problem.

DJ's the man we love the most
AC user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1838 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good luck!

That time will come, one day you'll see that i'll be dead and you will laugh!
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 13:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's great news, Lester. You make us proud:)
I'll definitely buy a copy.

I do not want any google ads here.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thats really cool.

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That's really great! I'll certainly be buying a copy!

Leonardo Venegas user not visiting Queenzone.com
Leonardo Venegas
Bohemian: 625 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well done Lester! Keep a copy for me! Good Luck!

Please will you direct me in the right way?
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester, that's fantastic news! If it's anything like your contributions to this board it'll be a great read and I'm sure a great success.

You know, good times are now.
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 14:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good Luck, Lester. I wish you all the best.

I'm also busy with a Queen project myself.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very interesting, indeed! You go-getter you. Well done and do pass on the details of where to get a copy.

Peace,
Adam.

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 15:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice one...

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 15:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Awesome news Lester.

Like Zeni, I'll be muttering slanderous accusations about you to myself, as I always wanted to compile this kind of book about Queen, ever since reading the complete Beatles songs analysis 'Revolution In The Head' by Ian MacDonald, but my get-up-and-go is practically non-existent, so I'm happy that finally someone out there is doing justice in the published world to Queen's recorded output.

In what way are you looking at the individual songs in the book? Are you taking a more historical, technical or lyrical standpoint? Or is it just a general overview?

For the technical aspects of the songs, you really should check out (if you're unaware, which I presume you're not) http://queen.musichall.cz/index_en.php?s=sa.

Denes (PD) over there will, I'm sure, be more than willing to help you out on this. What you're doing has been a dream of his for a long time.

And I'm far from an 'expert' on Queen, but I'm happy to help with any of the more technical musical questions you might have, as that's my forte.

Best of luck!

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice work! Should you need any artwork, contact me :-P

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 15:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for your praise and well-wishes, everyone.

Bohardy, I have read "Revolution In The Head" too - many, many times over, actually - and, that too has been my dream, to write a book like that. The amount of research (and listening!) that went into that book is amazing, and it was a favorite book of mine for many years. I'll need to read that again, actually (when I have the time).

The way that I'm looking at the songs is something of a general overview along with historical analysis. I usually base an entry off of quotes from the band along the way, although I think you'll all be disappointed that there aren't any for 'Fun It' or 'Fight From The Inside', to name two. However, I don't try to sugarcoat things, and I do realize that every song means something different to everyone, but I don't have much praise for, say, 'Body Language'. I've also tried to mention, where applicable, when a song was performed live and if it was released as a single in a certain country. Personal opinion often comes into play, but I try not to become too biased - if you want to read something that praises everything Queen does, read "As It Began".

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm looking forward to this Lester. All the best!

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 16:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good for you, Lester. I'd look forward to something like this, best of luck!

Hopefully, five years from now, some new queenzoner isn't asking for an illegal download of your work.