Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Telecaster on CLTCL

forum rss feed
Author

rogertaylor88 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have one question, why did brian stop playing the telecaster for cltcl since the freddie tribute concert? does anyone know it???

Crazy LittleThing user not visiting Queenzone.com
Crazy LittleThing
Royalty: 1593 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 21:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As I recall, Brian mentioned at the start of the tour that he liked the Yamaha Silent guitars and the brightness of their sound for Crazy Little Thing. (On this I'm going on memory here folks, so I'm on shaky ground.)

I've always thought the Telecasters fit the look/feel and sound that Freddie was going for in Crazy Little Thing, and it looked cool to see Freddie and Brian with the white/ash and black Telecasters, respectively. I was sure Freddie was going to smash his at Live Aid!

I saved Spike's life in 'Nam.
turini user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 15 Mar 06, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the telecaster is the black guitar he used during the solo. shows how much you know crazy little thing!

Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

turini wrote:

the telecaster is the black guitar he used during the solo. shows how much you know crazy little thing!

I'm not sure of your point here. I'm familiar with what a black Telecaster looks like. In fact, the guitarist with Rob Zombie is playing one right now on "The Tonight Show." Is it your experience that Brian played a black Telecaster at the recent shows? Or do you mean at the shows in the past? I've seen video of Brian playing a black Telecaster for the solo in CLTCL at Live Aid and Wembley, for example. If you are talking about the recent shows in the UK, US, and Aruba, I remember him using only two guitars, the Yamaha, and the RS. I looked at my photos from last night's show and I see him with the Silent Guitar and the next shot, time stamped a minute later, shows him with the RS. Two minutes after that, he's sitting at the end of the catwalk with a Guild acoustic for LOML. But I probably did blink a few times, and, of course, Roger's always a nice distraction, so I could have missed a guitar switch while gazing dreamily at him, and then there's always Spike to look at, but I digress. My recollection is that Brian has been using the RS for the CLTCL solo these days, so please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

MiMi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 51 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I believe Brian also used the black Telecaster on their 1982 Saturday Night Live performance of CLTCL.

Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 01:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MiMi wrote:

I believe Brian also used the black Telecaster on their 1982 Saturday Night Live performance of CLTCL.

I think you're right Mimi. I tried to look at my video of that show and wasn't able to open it, so I didn't mention it. I also remember that at some point when they were on SNL that night, Brian was wearing a black satin NBC jacket that I thought was soooooooo cool!

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Cindy does know what she is talking about, she's only been to about 100 shows off this tour!!!

Piss off and leave my girl alone.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Erin got to hold that telecaster at one of the Queen conventions in Wales.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 10:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll need to look for the picture.

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 10:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Talking of pictures with guitars I wonder where the picture of us with the flying V from the Prince of the Universe video is....

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 11:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

turini wrote:

What's your point?

Brian used Rogers original butterscotch blonde telecaster on the track in the studio I believe it was a 1951 model (don't know where I read that but I am sure I did)

Brian, then went on to use his black one for the solo Live and Freddie had the cream one (which has now been stolen I believe or so Brian seems to think.

On the current tour Brian is using the Yamaha, so why were you questioning what was said?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 11:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

turini wrote:

What's your point?

I was wondering the same thing.

turini user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 16:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the fender telecaster is totally different guitar than the yamaha. the yamaha is meant to sound like an acoustic. his question was why doesnt brian use the telecaster in the crazy solo now like he did during the 80's. but now he uses the red special instead.

Crazy LittleThing

Posted: 16 Mar 06, 21:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

turini wrote:

his question was why doesnt brian use the telecaster in the crazy solo now like he did during the 80's. but now he uses the red special instead.

Yes, and my response was:

As I recall, Brian mentioned at the start of the tour that he liked the Yamaha Silent guitars and the brightness of their sound for Crazy Little Thing.

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 06, 02:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Crazy LittleThing wrote:

turini wrote:

his question was why doesnt brian use the telecaster in the crazy solo now like he did during the 80's. but now he uses the red special instead.

Yes, and my response was:

As I recall, Brian mentioned at the start of the tour that he liked the Yamaha Silent guitars and the brightness of their sound for Crazy Little Thing.

But that answer is unrelated to the question. Turini asks why Brian doesn't use a Telecaster for the CLTCL *solo*, and you answer why he plays a Yamaha Silent for the acoustic part. Different things.

Flick of the wrist
rogertaylor88 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 160 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 06, 03:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly. Does anyone know it?

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 06, 08:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've read an interview where he said that Mack forced him to use Telecatser in the studio and he wasn't happy with the fact that he wasn't allowed to find the same sound on RS... And he added that he could do it easily... Maybe that's why he doesn't use it anymore? I mean- he is Brian May and he plays famous Red Special, that's what people are coming to see... Telecaster? Why doing it? Quite frankly I don't know why he was doing it in 80s...

Lisser

Posted: 17 Mar 06, 10:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How could Mack force him to do anything? I don't see Brian taking too kindly to that. LOL!

NJ!!!

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 17 Mar 06, 10:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Forced might be a little strong, but it is true that Mack suggested he should do it also using a Boggie amp instead of the AC30, and it has to be said Brian can only get close to the sound on the red special, to get that 50's sound that inspired the track it has to be a telecaster.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Lisser

Posted: 17 Mar 06, 10:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fair enough! Good info! Thanks!

NJ!!!