Forums > Queen - General Discussion > A Winters Tale

forum rss feed
Author

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm confused here because i always thought Freddie wrote A Winters Tale but recently i have been told it was Roger who did. I dont really mind who wrote it, infact it does suit Rogers style of writing, i mean take a look at These Are The Days Of Our Lifes....

In the album Made In Heaven it's credited to Queen but i know one of them wrote it. Who was it Freddie or Roger?

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 11:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie.

Where on earth did you see/hear that it was Roger?

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

Freddie.

Where on earth did you see/hear that it was Roger?

A friend told me.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 12:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I see your point for some extent: 6/8 (or related) beats had been applied by Roger ocassionally (I'm In Love With My Car, Drowse, A Human Body, Thank God It's Christmas), but otoh note Freddie did that as well: Champions, Somebody To Love, Jesus.

I > bVII modulation has been used by both, but Roger tended to do it more abruptly (e.g. A Nation Of Haircuts) while Freddie applied pivots (e.g. Made In Heaven, The March Of The Black Queen). In this case it's made through the i chord of the first key, a function much more common in Fred's pieces (Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, Staying Power, Barcelona), than Roger (no examples found so far).

The other modulation (I>III) is again more Freddie-esque (Seven Seas, Good Old Fashioned). Again I haven't found any case of that thing being applied by Roger, but one by Brian (Back To The Light goes from Ab to C for the solo).

The fact the song ends in the bVII chord reminds me of PD's analysis of 'Coming Soon', where he interprets it as being in A Major (except for the intro). In my opinion, the entire track is in G Major, thus making it finish in the tonic, no similarities with 'A Winter's Tale' whatsoever. But it's a matter of opinion, nobody's got the gospel truth.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'd wager that not a single one of those points occurred to her when she asked the question Seb...

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 12:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

I'd wager that not a single one of those points occurred to her when she asked the question Seb...

Hehehe it doesnt matter i still enjoyed what he wrote :)

felixqueen76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 14:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you ever go to the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame, you can see the lyrics there, in Freddie's handwriting. Shamefully, theres a crapload of stuff from contemporary boy bands etc that shouldnt even be displayed. Queens display has those hand written lyrics, a bass from John, the butterfly outfit that Bri wore (the one with the "salsa" theme, not the plain white one) a vest Freddie wore, Freddies harlequin catsuit (ie orange and green checkers) a few records, and not much else. The picture I took didnt turn out worth anything, which sucks, since you arent supposed to take em anyway (they confiscated a lot when I was there). Theres a MIH songbook which has reproductions of the notebook pages.

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 14:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah i always thought it was a Freddies song, just wanted to check on here. I love his handwriting especially when they use it on the video.

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 15:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that song is absolutly beautiful. I heard it was Freddie's last song written.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Any chance anybody's got any file of that sheet to send it to me, please?

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
felixqueen76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have the MIH songbook which reproduces lyrics for a couple of songs, scratched out lines, post-it notes from montreaux showing what notes/keys used etc. When I dig it out of my moms garage I can scan some pics if anyone hasnt by then.

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 20 Mar 06, 21:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i told her that
i saw that roger wrote it
i dont remember where but it was credible like someone told me then i saw it on a sight

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 06, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JamieSureWould<br><font size=1>QOQOW wrote:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i told her that
i dont remember where but it was credible like someone told me then i saw it on a sight

Maybe you confused it with "Thank God It's Christmas" which Roger originally wrote.

Flick of the wrist
Stryder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 58 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 06, 08:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A winter's tale is Freddie's song. Brian said in a interview that Freddie wrote it in a, an i quote: "beautiful sunday morning" ( or smth like that, i don't remember correctly)

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 21 Mar 06, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

JamieSureWould<br><font size=1>QOQOW wrote:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
i told her that

You're smart.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 15:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was the last song freddie wrote.....i heard he wrote in on the balcony in montreux

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And if you really want a credible source, read "Mercury and Me". I was reading about A Winter's Tale in that book long before MIH was released, so when I went to the store to get the album on the day it was out, I expected this song to be on the album, and it really was. What a hoot.

Jan