forum rss feed
Author

Fone Bone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you think this is possible ?
It does raise a few questions :

1) Is there enough material ? I Guess We're falling Out, Dog With A Bone, A New Life Is Born, Self Made Man, Secret Fantasy, Robbery, New York perhaps, what else ?

2) Would it really be Queen if John did not participate, which would probably be the case ?

3) Would Brian and Roger be willing to go back there, to do it again ? I mean, MIH was very special, could it be done twice ? This must be a really painful process, especially after a year of touring, a year of life and happy vibes (then there's the Bo Rhap Ghost Of Freddie thing every night, mind you)

Your thoughts ?

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Honestly, I'd rather them hold off any Freddie stuff for the box set (that is supposed to still be on the cards). I'm quite interested to see what Roger and Brian can come up with that is fresh and new... My only reservations toward new material come from the fact that they will most likely want it to have Paul Rodgers on vocals.

Now, before anyone gets on my case, I'm not saying I have a problem with Paul, or that I wouldn't like them to record with him, or any of that. What I AM saying is that I'd MUCH rather Roger and Brian sing new songs they have written than Paul, or ANYONE else for that matter. I happen to like both of their voices, and I would be upset not to hear them sing their new material.

Anyway, no. I wouldn't like a new 'Made In Heaven' style album.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 07:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good topic and one i think possible will happen sometime in the future but with commitements to the tour and possible other unrelated projects i can't see it happening anytime soon.

Whenever the anthology makes a appearance i'm sure there will be a few tracks either new or demoed given the "queen" treatment a la beatles with 'free as a bird and real love , it also depends on how many tracks they have that are seriously worth working on for any kind of release.

The likes of i guess we're falling out secret fantasy, self made man, and others will probably appear as they are,with any other tracks worked on to add some NEW QUEEN product and i personally think if asked JD would jump at the chance to work in the studio with brian and roger.

And finally no MIH STYLE album there can't be it wouldn't be queen to make a duplicate album it would be in a totally different style.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 10:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Most of the demos I've heard with Freddie's vocals have at best one complete verse, a chorus and a lot of Freddie's vocal improvisation/scatting. I don't know how you make a commercially viable album out of stuff like that, and certainly not one that would be in the tradition of Queen's sound.

Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 12:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i would love to get new queen album with freddie on vocals, i mean no matter how many songs and how good they are, just i would really want to hear somthing ''new''

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 12:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Things like You're the Only One or A New Life is Born are beautiful, but you can't use a song who's lyrics are primarily 'loo le laa's and improv. You just can't.

I'd love it if they could just fine *one* useable Freddie song and make that the single or something, and then make what, 9 other songs with Brian and Roger singing 'em. Put Paul there if you like him. Bam - album.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 13:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Most of the demos I've heard with Freddie's vocals have at best one complete verse, a chorus and a lot of Freddie's vocal improvisation/scatting. I don't know how you make a commercially viable album out of stuff like that, and certainly not one that would be in the tradition of Queen's sound.

you make an album that "tidies up the loose ends into groups of medleys/ interspersed with complete songs (which there probably is some complete ones about too - Dog With A Bone/Hangman/Silver Salmon/Polar Bear etc
there have been some great albums down the years that have either A - been made up of lots of "leftovers" into medleys or B - segued together into kind of concept albums

A TYPE - Abbey Road
B TYPE - Side Black of Queen II / Dark Side of The Moon / American Idiot

go deo na h√Čireann
Fone Bone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 208 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Fair enough, hence my 1st question : "is there enogh material". There may be more advanced demos than the ones we know. Moreover, they could sing one verse each, a la let me live. And there could even be songs where Freddie doesn't appear at all, only Brian, Roger and hopefully John. I understand it would be depressing to work on old demos only. It could be a mix between "Surviving Queen" NEW songs, such as No One But You, and tracks featuring Freddie vocals with additional vocals by Roger and Brian.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

An interesting point you raise, Brenski.

But I must wonder - wasn't it Let It Be that was the real 'finished-afterwards' album? True that the medleys seem like unfinished works pieced together, but I always thought it was still a group effort and not so much an after-the-fact work.

But hey! Wasn't even born yet. I'm just paraphrasing George Martin and the boys.

I really would like to hear an album from these guys with at least one song from Freddie (anything would be nice, really - even something short leftover I dunno...). But I'm absolutely not under any illusions as to how 'Queen-y' it'd be, I wouldn't expecting a 21st century Bohemian Rhapsody.
Maybe I just like to hear something new for a change? God knows I don't want to be one of those sad old fools who sits in a dark room surrounded by candles, listening to Innuendo on loop and praying to a shrine of Freddie...

Ok. That was exaggerating.

But yeah, bring on a new album I say.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"It could be a mix between "Surviving Queen" NEW songs, such as No One But You, and tracks featuring Freddie vocals with additional vocals by Roger and Brian."

This is my favourite scenario.

No one ever looked at Sail Away Sweet Sister, Tenement Funster or Sleeping on the Sidewalk and bemoaned that it wasn't Queen! Ok - these examples were made when Queen was still a fully functioning entity, but the fact remains that they focus on Brian or Roger instead of Freddie.
I see them as what is left of Queen, so I welcome new music from them - and I'd happily listen to it blindfolded so I can avoid the messy arguments over it being "Queen" or not, because quite frankly I don't care. I'm in it for the sound.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there is enough songes to do a MIH kind of thing!
A couple of years ago Jim Beach said that 3 completed songs were founded in the archives and according to them, they have quality enough to be Queen.

Lets not forget that there must be tons of unfinished demos, and those wich at least have the chorus worked out can be easilly re-donne by the surviving members ("I guess we`re falling out" is a good example).

To the MIH album they didn`t knew at the time every song they taped (it wasn`t cathalogued at the time), so probably they missed better tracks than those they`ve used. For example, they have recorded "Let me live" with only the first verse by Freddie.

I don´t know if they wan´t to do it, but i think it`s a possibility. After Greg reunites the tracks for the Box-set they might hear some good surprises!

Take care

Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with and can see brenski's and zebonka's points of view but i think there will be all the demos that HAVE surfaced and those that haven't along with the hits(demo take) or no.of takes , along with perhaps one or two GEMS in the queen crown that would either need some work doing or releasing as it is.

Remember the beatles did the anthology 10 years ago and with free as a bird and real love along with the demos and rarities sold very well, and brought the remaining threetles back together to record and sort out differences i think the same will happen with john deacon in the not too distant future.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 14:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think another very important thing to consider is that Brian and Roger could have at any time over the last 10 years taken the existing demos and scraps and finished them into something, and they have thus far chosen not to do so. Any project of the kind being discussed would almost certainly take a year, perhaps two, out of their lives to complete. Are they interested in doing that? So far, it doesn't look like that are, and it has to be them that do the work. I think they might finish a couple of tracks like that for the boxed set(s), should it/they ever actually materialize, but I personally don't believe they will ever piece together a whole album like that and release it.

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 14:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

An interesting point you raise, Brenski.
But I must wonder - wasn't it Let It Be that was the real 'finished-afterwards' album? True that the medleys seem like unfinished works pieced together, but I always thought it was still a group effort and not so much an after-the-fact work.

Abbey Rd was the last album the beatles actually recorded...Let It be was recorded before AR but not releaased...AR was "unfinished" JL was maybe into heroin (allegedly)and had a car crash (officially) and didn't turn up for masses of recording sessions...the "medleys" were made from unfinsihed bits that George (Martin) and Paul rescued and laboured over to try and make a complete album

Paul: "in the end we hit on an idea of medleying them all and giving the second side a sort of operatic structure...which was good because it used ten or twelve unfinished songs in a good way"

personally, - i love abbey road for this reason...and it is this feel that probably makes Queen II my favourite queen album

go deo na h√Čireann
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 14:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK, here's an idear.

Make a double album called "Phoenix."
Have one disc be the Q+PR stuff, like Take Love, Say It's Not True, etc.
Have the other be mostly-completed or finished off demos like Self Made Man, Robbery, Feelings, Feel Like, etc., plus a few non-album B-sides redone.

I dunno, but I think I Go Crazy would be friggin' amazing re-recorded with Paul singing one of the verses and duetting with Freddie on the chorus a la BoRhapLive.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
juan1921 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Could anyone please let me know where I can get those songs you mention whether official or not? I'd very grateful.

Civilization of a society is measured by the way they treat their animals.
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Suigi wrote:

OK, here's an idear.

Make a double album called "Phoenix."
Have one disc be the Q+PR stuff, like Take Love, Say It's Not True, etc.
Have the other be mostly-completed or finished off demos like Self Made Man, Robbery, Feelings, Feel Like, etc., plus a few non-album B-sides redone.

I dunno, but I think I Go Crazy would be friggin' amazing re-recorded with Paul singing one of the verses and duetting with Freddie on the chorus a la BoRhapLive.

I Go Crazy should be left be....if it is to be released then wait for the boxsets.

k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color="red">Peter Cetera</b> wrote:

I hope that it doesn`t happen. "Made In Heaven" already was a kind of a mixed bag, but definitely was a decent effort to put out the last couple of songs that Freddie wanted to release.

This new album however would be a complete bomb. Why release an album with a star who is dead for fourteen years now. Plus there isn`t any new material with Brian, Roger and Paul Rodgers (even if I would be a fan of the three, which I am not) that is worthy enough for such a release. You cannot make a decent album from one or two half-cooked new songs and some songs with Freddies voice, which would never have made it on an album if King Mercury would still be alive.
It would be an insult to Queen`s flawless album catalogue.

If Brian, Roger and Paul Rodgers really want to be a sort of "new" Queen, they should record a couple of new songs and make a brandnew album ... otherwise it´s obvious that they either have either run out of ideas or really don`t want to work that hard anymore.

Agree

akindofmagic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 769 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think that an album with re-done re-made songs with freddie, having just the chorus it isn't a problem, see what happened on "let me live"! i really think that an album of this kind will come out along with the box sets in 2009 to promote them. and the demo names that people usualy talk when this subject come along will probably be not included on this album... Queen back in 1994/95 didn't knew the tracks on archive... it seems that very good stuff never saw the light of day(or of the laser, if you prefer)

The Freddie Bigotes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 19:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whitout Freedie i don´t think so, never will be a new queen Album...

:(

I like Queen a Lot¡¡¡