Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Brian is losing perspective...

forum rss feed
Author

ermin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 18:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian stated on his website, "tonight [23 March] was every bit as wonderful as those heady nights in the Old Days - or even better..."

Come on, man, I understand you're excited you're touring after so many years. But to say this is even better than with Freddie... come on...

And, yes, referring to some of the previous threads, Paul is in it for money, among other things. Do they rock some *ss? Yes, they do. They are still better than most bands. But, remember, Paul said before he didn't really know many Queen songs and he had to learn them. And, no, he can't sing anywhere near as good, or high, as Freddie. He admitted that many times. So, do they have the right to tour? Of course. Are they good? You bet. Would I like to see the concert? Absolutely. But, don't give me that even-better-than-old-days thing. It just isn't....

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think he is referring to some shows and how they stack up. There are a lot of improvements from the past tours to collectively counter the singer switch.

A. Background vocals(Danny Miranda, Jamie Moses and Spike Edney replace a vocal-less John Deacon to create stronger harmonies)
B. Guitar work(Brian's sound/equipment has evolved and improved over the years, and Jamie Moses offers a never before had 2nd guitar to play Rhythm parts, adding an even fuller sound)
C. Songs and Material(3 Queen albums and 5 solo albums have come about since the last tour. Also, PR adds Bad company and Free's greatest hits, which to some help deepen the track listing.
D. Brian And Roger as frontmen(This tour has finally allowed Brian and Roger opportunities to sing lead on stage. After years of solo touring, they are quite ready for the challenge on every single night.)
E. Video and Nostalgia(With the Those where the days, Bo Rhap and Brighton Rock/Last Horizon video clips, Queen has managed to successfully incorporate some strong theatrical moments hitting on the nostalgia of Queen's past, offering a new emotional dynamic to this tour. Freddie's voice in Bo Rhap and the Beautiful Day opening mix are fantastic tools as well.

All that being said, I agree with you that the old tour will always be better as a whole. However, these new elements along with Paul Rodgers great presence as the new guy on the mic, have shown us in several shows(Prague, Birmingham, Sheffield, Los Angeles, Tokyo, and Duluth to name a few) that they can still reach that old level, and make shows of the same calibur.

Brian's right, some nights are as good as the old days, and probably in some ways better.

zone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 18:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I seen them in 1980 and 1982 ,I just seen them last week ,and no way is it even close .I think he's just really exited to be out playing all those great song's again.

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think most people can relate to having something for a long time, to the point that you take it for granted - then you lose that for a long time, and if you're lucky enough to get it back again, it sometimes seems all the sweeter for the period where you didn't have it. That's human nature.

And really, of all the completely cockamamie stuff Brian May has written on that website over the last couple of years, you think THIS is the one where he's losing perspective?? That guy's been out on a moonbeam for a looooooong time.

Whatinthewhatthe? user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2210 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 19:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well done, Ameriqueen!!

Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 19:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

I think he is referring to some shows and how they stack up. There are a lot of improvements from the past tours to collectively counter the singer switch.

A. Background vocals(Danny Miranda, Jamie Moses and Spike Edney replace a vocal-less John Deacon to create stronger harmonies)
B. Guitar work(Brian's sound/equipment has evolved and improved over the years, and Jamie Moses offers a never before had 2nd guitar to play Rhythm parts, adding an even fuller sound)
C. Songs and Material(3 Queen albums and 5 solo albums have come about since the last tour. Also, PR adds Bad company and Free's greatest hits, which to some help deepen the track listing.
D. Brian And Roger as frontmen(This tour has finally allowed Brian and Roger opportunities to sing lead on stage. After years of solo touring, they are quite ready for the challenge on every single night.)
E. Video and Nostalgia(With the Those where the days, Bo Rhap and Brighton Rock/Last Horizon video clips, Queen has managed to successfully incorporate some strong theatrical moments hitting on the nostalgia of Queen's past, offering a new emotional dynamic to this tour. Freddie's voice in Bo Rhap and the Beautiful Day opening mix are fantastic tools as well.

All that being said, I agree with you that the old tour will always be better as a whole. However, these new elements along with Paul Rodgers great presence as the new guy on the mic, have shown us in several shows(Prague, Birmingham, Sheffield, Los Angeles, Tokyo, and Duluth to name a few) that they can still reach that old level, and make shows of the same calibur.

Brian's right, some nights are as good as the old days, and probably in some ways better.

Bingo.

It amazes me that folks want to vilify everyone.

The way I see it, I am THIRILLED to have the opportunity to see these guys do what they love to do. To top that off, they can still do it at a very high level.

Sure, it isn't 1982, but please, be realistic. It never will be the same, but that does not mean that it can't be great, and, in some respects, BETTER than it was.

The vocal harmonies in many, many songs in Cleveland were incredible. That never happened with Freddie at the lead. Brian's guitar playing is spot on, and he proves night after night that he is still the best rock guitarist around.

Paul Rodgers is gaining the respect of EVERY SINGLE PERSON who sees this show live. This tour is giving Paul a big time career revival, as I know that I will gladly pay to see this man again, be it with Queen, or solo. The fucker can BRING IT.

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Brian stated on his website, "tonight [23 March] was every bit as wonderful as those heady nights in the Old Days - or even better...""

OK here is my interpretation: Brian means that to him, personally, it seems as wonderful (not that he thinks the fans think this is better than the shows with Freddie). It was wonderful to him to get such a great audience reaction and I think that now that the tour is really tight, he can let his mind soak in the whole experience while he is playing. He deserves it.

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 19:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The comment was"even better than with Freddie"it's not better ,and of course it's not 82,and for the vocals they've got 4 back up vocals as appose to two.

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry five back up vocalists ,Freddie only had two.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 20:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Keep this in mind...
To someone like Brian May not being on tour playing all the songs that made him a worlwide beloved celebrity, is like being celibate.

Basically the poor guy hasn't had nookie since 1986.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 20:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Well said

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
ermin user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Now, let me get this straight. This tour is actually better because there are more backing vocals and guitars resulting in a more faithful reproduction of original recordings. Well, if that were to be the measure, they could have invited a chorus and professional musicians to play. I'm sure they would be able to sound just like the original recordings.

The thing is, concert is not just about (re)producing the original records faithfully and having a rich sound. It is about performance, showmanship, and interaction with the audience. And no-one was better at that than certain Mr. Mercury.

In other words: is sound on "Return of the Champions" better than at "Live at Wembley"? Yes. Are songs more faithfully reproduced at the "Return"? I think so. Which concert is better? Wembley! Absolutely no comparison! "Hello again my beauties... Is it happening? Everybody ok? Don't fool around..."

I'm not saying the current tour is bad -- far from that. It's very good and I'm happy they're touring. But, please, please...it can't be compared with old times... It just can't

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 23:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ermin wrote:

Now, let me get this straight. This tour is actually better because there are more backing vocals and guitars resulting in a more faithful reproduction of original recordings. Well, if that were to be the measure, they could have invited a chorus and professional musicians to play. I'm sure they would be able to sound just like the original recordings.

The thing is, concert is not just about (re)producing the original records faithfully and having a rich sound. It is about performance, showmanship, and interaction with the audience. And no-one was better at that than certain Mr. Mercury.

In other words: is sound on "Return of the Champions" better than at "Live at Wembley"? Yes. Are songs more faithfully reproduced at the "Return"? I think so. Which concert is better? Wembley! Absolutely no comparison! "Hello again my beauties... Is it happening? Everybody ok? Don't fool around..."

I'm not saying the current tour is bad -- far from that. It's very good and I'm happy they're touring. But, please, please...it can't be compared with old times... It just can't

I think maybe you're assuming more than he's actually saying. You're taking what he said, which was actually very little, and extrapolating the most graceless and tactless interpretation from it - a "worst case scenario" if you will. I doubt very seriously he's saying that overall playing with Paul Rodgers in 2006 is better than playing with Freddie in 1976 - although I think its entirely possible he enjoys some aspects of it more now than he did then, or perhaps has a different perspective on the whole thing now that allows him to enjoy his experience today more than when he was younger and taking the whole thing as a given. It just seems like you're trying to take his words and, for whatever reason of your own, assume them in the worst possible light.

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haystacks Calhoun wrote:

AmeriQueen wrote:

Bingo.

It amazes me that folks want to vilify everyone.

The way I see it, I am THIRILLED to have the opportunity to see these guys do what they love to do. To top that off, they can still do it at a very high level.

Sure, it isn't 1982, but please, be realistic. It never will be the same, but that does not mean that it can't be great, and, in some respects, BETTER than it was.

The vocal harmonies in many, many songs in Cleveland were incredible. That never happened with Freddie at the lead. Brian's guitar playing is spot on, and he proves night after night that he is still the best rock guitarist around.

Paul Rodgers is gaining the respect of EVERY SINGLE PERSON who sees this show live. This tour is giving Paul a big time career revival, as I know that I will gladly pay to see this man again, be it with Queen, or solo. The fucker can BRING IT.

Wow great review on Paul...Cheers to you!

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
felixqueen76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 21 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How do we misinterpret "every bit as wonderful" into the statement "better than" ?

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 02:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is having fun again, remeber he is a entertainer, this is his passion, there's life after Freddie, so be it. Maybe he is having more fun as he can do more things then what he used to do on a tour, where most things were rushed, now that he is worth millions they can do the things the way they want to, which also adds more fun to it.
Maybe they might do another tour...I'd still pay, could give a shit less who sings for Brian & Roger, Still know 5% of fans will bitch about it anyways.

MY GOD spell it write.
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 03:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

/hijack

Did somebody say bingo? I just got home from midnight bingo. I bingo'd twice!!!!

/hijack

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 04:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's enjoying himself and is enthused. Good on him.
Get over it, he never dissed Freddie.