Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Detroit Reviews?

forum rss feed
Author

OYEAS user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

pls tell me everything about the show. Wanted to go, had tickets, but I could not - at least saw them in Miami

Open Your Eyes And See
Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts

Posted: 24 Mar 06, 23:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OH HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They ROCKED!!!! as Brian said, Detroit FUCKIN ROCKS!!! he said it twice.. lol all is forgiven in my books, there were a couple minor mistakes here and there, but I tell ya, it was AMAZING!! I was back in 1980 a few times. Dragon Attack was TIGHT!!!

Ok, it wasn't really sold out, but there were a lot of people there, at first it looked bad, but by the time it started the place was filling up, Brian was smiling a LOT and was just having fun, he said that that was the warmest reception he has coming down for Love of My Life, which was GREAT, he stopped when the crowd was cheering this couple on the monitor that were singing and he gave his woman a kiss, Brian stopped, looked back to see what we were cheering about.. it was great, its funny I saw Queen in Detroit twice and BOTH times Love of my Life was stopped..

Paul was in GREAT form, sure he had a couple mistakes but was just incredible and really really did a great job..

Those were the GREATEST 2 hours I have had in a very long time, I got to meet William from here, and for those who Didnt know.. THAT IS HIM in his profile in the towel and banana.. I am sure there was more, but everything is just a mess in my head.. I do say that you could have snuck a recorder even a VIDEO camera in our section, there were NO guards or anything, no metal detectors, and a BUNCH of cameras..

I want to ask that if ANYONE recorded this show to please post it or to email me, I want it. as well as photos.

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
tcg user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 11 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 00:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian May quotes from the show.

"Detroit fucking rocks"
"You guys fucking rock"
"This is the best fucking crowd on tour"

It was cool during LOML when they showed that couple on the screen and everyone cheered and Brian stopped the song to take it in.

When we entered the arena at 7pm I stopped at the office and asked about attendance. At 7pm they said 12,000 and change. Every seat that was for sale seemed sold.

I have some pictures of the crowd I will post later. By the way a stack of tampons on the good cameras with a cheap disposable on top and a young kid looking through my wifes purse worked really well.

Matt

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 00:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also want to add that Under Pressure was amazing as well.. the WHOLE show was just.... well.. Amazing.. the crowd really did well in singing.. except around me.. and I FAILED.. I tried to get a '39 chant going, but NO ONE would do it near me.. so. I hang my head in shame.. I had a GREAT time and it was worth every penny. ok so I didnt buy the ticket but hey it would have been.. I just wish I had met some of the other zoners.. but I did meet William and his wife.. :)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When Brian was walking towards the stool I gave my best 39 yell, except for my wife, people looked at me like what does that mean.

Matt

Freddie_Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

omg I was yelling for 39 too, I even emailed Brian asking him ever so desperatley to play it, but none the less the show fucking rocked, and as has been stated before Brian May agrees with me. Loved it, best concert I have ever been to, never got to see Queen with Freddie, and if it's that bad ass without him, man, I could only imagine...

Wear a rubber next time Freddie =(

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I went around to a LOT of people telling them that after Crazy little thing to yell for 39, and I said it to the people around me, yet when the moement came.. NOPE.. I was the only one yelling it where I was.. and I was way up in the nosebleeds.. although I DID think he was going to do it for a brief moment

Freddie_Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

damn, I thought he was gonna play '39 too, I was in the 6th row just hollering it at every silent moment. I noticed someone waving a huge banner with '39 painted in green. Man I would've loved to hear that. Oh well still a damn good concert.

Wear a rubber next time Freddie =(
2001pm user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 01:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They kicked serious butt. Harmonies in tune. Roger singing like a bird and whomping the drums as usual. Brian having the time of his lif on stage. Detroit crowd probably 90 percent full when all showed up. Brian was quoted accurately above. Paul Rodgers was great--a tiny bit of tour-rasp on some notes, but all singers get that. The "unheralded three" on guitars, bass, keys and vocals were TIGHT. Freddie video made me wanna cry.

wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 02:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yea this show was a lot better then NJ and Cleveland.

Seen Erin on the screen twice. I think I seen her ask for a setlist sheet after the show.
You could hear me Scream "Under Pressure" right before they played it, about 60 people looked at me, then the bass started LOL
Smelled some one smoking a Joint about 2 seperate times, my feet got stuck, the floors in the nose bleeds need to be cleaned once every 30 years :)
Was great meeting you Mike, Funny how you came to my section and asked is any one here from QZ? and my wife pointing at me, lol Loved your shirt BTW, best Queen shirts IMO.
I seen 2 people Video taping, nice camcorders they looked quite expensive, maybe this will be online soon and I seen another person recording.

MY GOD spell it write.
wstüssyb user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 12371 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 02:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Also, was quite funny to be pulling in the arena and Erin and Pieter in the next car over paying the same freaking $15.00 to park there, lol

MY GOD spell it write.

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 03:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Posted some pictures over at QOL.
Some of the crowd and some of Brian having fun.

http://forums.queenonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=31319

Matt

teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 05:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't know why they curtained off those sections. The sightlines from the curtained section would have been better for the stage screen and lights than where I sat in sec 216.
I'll say this much: Detroit rocked!
I was blown away by the crowd response to Paul Rodgers' songs. I heard so many people singing on Bad Company.
The show was good. I preferred the Toronto show but I was impressed with the audience in Detroit.
A lot of people came in late. For anyone attending a Q+PR concert they start within a few minutes of the time on your ticket. If it says 8:00 then be in your seats(on your feet) at 8:00. The same thing happened in Toronto with people coming in late.
Once the crowd had arrived they were great.
I don't know how Brian thinks playing Under Pressure is living dangerously. They've played it a few times and it's getting better. I wish they would take some real chances and do something really unexpected but the show they put on is really good and for most of the audience they don't know what to expect.
I yelled '39 when Brian came out for his acoustic bit. No luck. Thought it was funny when the crowd was cheering the couple on the vid screen during LOML. Brian looked back but missed it. I hope somebody fills him in.

Well I had to drive home through mostly crappy weather for over 5 hours so I'm off to bed.
Glad to say I went to see Q+PR in Detroit and had a great time.

baldie2u user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 08:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey morning all, I'm a Brit living in the US and had the privaledge to see the boys last night.

You know I got to say it makes such a pleasant change to read reviews where you end up not thinking 'Hey were we at the same concert!'

I am not going to wax and wane about the concert it has been all said before, and by writers who can bring the impressions to life far better than I.

A brief montage of the thoughts going through my mind, it's a pretty bad place to go to so try and avoid it!

You know I think the PR is exactly what they wanted. I cannot claim to knowing them personally but I have been on the fringe of people who drifted in and out of the circles they live in. I honestly think they have promoted it the way it is because they do not claim it to be Queen as such they are not lazy enough to live off old reputations (OK most are old songs but they are timeless and in a lot of instances it makes me glad to have been a member of the generation that heard them as new ones, I guess I'm bigoted but where are the successors of these groups?) they want to make new ones for a new band, not even a tribute band. You know what I think it's working too, I mean read the reviews here from day one there has been a slow change to the swell of ground opinion, to what we are reading now.

The good news? If we are lucky enough they may come again to 'see us' the bad news .... it'll be fecken harder to get tickets!

My penny worth of the show,

the happiness and fun exuded by the band.

The quiet professionalism of the roadies,

the way the cameras recording the show did not impinge on your viewing

the rhythm section - especially that bassist (who I have had the misfortune of not hearing before) playing their hearts out

Roger Taylor knackering himself on the drums probably asking himself could we not have done this 10 years ago dear lord?

Brian May playing his guts out on 'All Right Now' I don't know having not been at the other concerts but I got the impression that he put something just a little bit extra into the Detroit gig last night. I wish I could have recorded that solo and then used it for a ring tone. The only fecken trouble would be the fact that I would never get around to answering the cell...but it sure as hell would have killed all conversation around me

Paul Rodgers, the man who knew he could not win just break even. Never once has he hid behind Freddie. He has given it all he can as only Paul Rodgers can. Probably he above all others (not because he is better than the others) is the one we should all be saying thank you to, for without him Brian and Roger would not be entertaining us.

Finally, DETROIT the crowd, thank you you made me proud to be living in your country and sharing your hospitality. What better words than those already attributed to the band 'Detroit you fecken Rock!'

Oh the concert? Well I had fun and I suspect one or two others did to!

Have fun you might only get the one chance ...

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 09:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OK here you go. Enjoy but please don't use on other websites without asking. They have been resized to load quickly.

http://photobucket.com/albums/j90/tcg550/

Click on the Queen Detroit link when you get there.

Matt

stantz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 7 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 10:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

don't ever bad mouth paul rodgers playing with queen, because i just learned my lesson. that was the BEST FUCKING SHOW I HAVE EVER SEEN! see them live and your attitude will change real quick. just being in the same room as brian and roger was a dream come true. love of my life, these are the days of our lives and bohemian rhapsody were real tear jerkers. if your a fan, see them while you still can.

JustHisWife user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 49 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha!

I have pictures of Pieter taking pictures of Brian and Paul.
:-)

Loved the show. Loved the crowd. Even Bill got up and danced!

This is who I am

You can

Like it or not

You can

Love me or leave me

'Cause I'm never gonna stop.
Tunks809 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 16 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was so awsome, I'm so glad I went, the only bad thing was my seat was far back but it was an ok seat, at least i got to see them, you think they'll be back???

rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tcg, that is an AWESOME series of photos. Great quality, and they really captured the power of the evening.

Thanks for posting them.

goodco user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 371 posts

Posted: 25 Mar 06, 16:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having seen Queen in '80 and '82 at Joe Louis....well, now that I'm in Maryland, I am so frickin jealous of those who saw the concert at The Palace last night.

NJ was great, DC was great, but there is only one home of rock n roll, BABY!!!! And that's Detroit Rock City.

Glad you all had a great time, and that the band was on fire yet again.

joe, wife, gang+

"Ladies and gentlemen... I guess that takes in most of you..." Groucho Marx, 'A Night at the Opera'