Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Reaching Out... as an opener..

forum rss feed
Author

Megamike The GREAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2264 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 09:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyone else find this to be an odd way to open a ROCK concert? I mean I love the way it goes from Thumping with Eminem (Although not a fan of his) to being mellow with Reaching Out, and then ROCK with Tie Your Mother Down..

and I have the Reaching Out CD single and am amazed at how close it is to the original... of course when I hear the original I expect to hear TYMD come in after the first verse.. Overall I think the set list was a decent mix of their hits both Queen and Pauls... but PAUL... ROCK AND ROLL FANTASY!!! thats what we want to hear.. well.. among other songs.. :)

My Brothers and Sisters all hated me 'cause I was an only child...

-Weird Al (Generic Blues)

I gave up on books when 'To Kill A Mockingbird' gave me no useful advice on how to kill a mockingbird.
AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it not only is a GREAT opener I think that it is GENIUS! I love it! It sets the mood for all the fast and slow songs as it is short so they don't really open with a ballad after all in my opinion. It serves as just an intro and really good one at that for all the moods to come! Is there an original version? Where does it come from? Who did it?

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I also think it is genius. It is a great introduction to Paul's voice and it is sweet sounding - like they are saying, "Hi - after all these years."

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 10:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Some idiots who went to Brixton said: "The concert started with Paul standing alone on stage doing a vocal improvisation"

Damn idiots.

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Soooo...where does this song come from? Who did it first? Is it new? It seems some people think it is not a new song...and I agree Donna! With the "Hi-after all these years!" statement! That is SO true!

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 10:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's great with the curtain drop and all..very RAAAWWWK!!! *sigh* I wanna see more shows...:-)

Erin

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 11:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:

Soooo...where does this song come from? Who did it first? Is it new? It seems some people think it is not a new song...and I agree Donna! With the "Hi-after all these years!" statement! That is SO true!

http://www.ultimatequeen.co.uk/Songs/collabbrian3.htm#reach

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The concert DVD gives writing credits for Reaching Out to (Hill /Black).

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Doh... I fucked up...

Erin

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 11:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

Doh... I fucked up...

Dummy.

RoHo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 11:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's a very good opener, because after the big sound of Eminem comes a little bit of "silence" before the even bigger sound of Queen, thus everyone has a moment of excitement, knowing that "it's coming right now" and then it bangs with the boys and the curtainfall. I like it. And also the lyrics are very true about the band, like they've been away for a while in there own world, but the fans need them just like they need us...
It is gorgeous!!!

"Roger Taylor playing 'We Are The Champions' with Queen... I remember all this sweat flying off his hair-he was so visual, the ultimate in cool and collected. He was rock'n'roll." T. Hawkins
Q-Nick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 356 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

Some idiots who went to Brixton said: "The concert started with Paul standing alone on stage doing a vocal improvisation"

Damn idiots.

:-)

www.freewebs.com/queentour2005

http://www.freewebs.com/queentour2005/car.htm

Queen + Paul Rodgers :: 2005 Tour Artwork and Bootleg Listing Sites

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 12:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do have to say that I think that the song after "Reaching Out" should have been "The Show Must Go On". It makes sense in terms of the being the returning champions you know. Let's you know what's up since last time they were active.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AlexRocks wrote:

I do have to say that I think that the song after "Reaching Out" should have been "The Show Must Go On". It makes sense in terms of the being the returning champions you know. Let's you know what's up since last time they were active.

Disagree...I would rather TSMGO close the show, or be towards then end....then open the show, or be at the beginning.

My question is why the f**k is Eminem and Queen in the same sentence.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think 'Reaching Out' is perfect. I wish they would play the whole song but maybe on another tour.

coops user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 403 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A lot of the 'Queen' sound revolves around small musical passages followed by loud, layered, heavy passages ( Bo Rhap for example) and to me, the opening of the show is part of the tredemark. I loved it.

rockyracoon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like several others, I think opening with Reaching Out is brilliant. It's Queen's invitation to the audience to become an integral part of the evening, to participate emotionally with the band, and share the warmth. It's also a reminder that the success of the evening will depend not only upon the band performing well and reaching out to the audience, but the audience also reaching out to the band.

"Are you reaching out for me? Like I'm reaching out for you?"

turini user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

they have a 1994 or 1998 performance of reaching out on top of the pops with Brian may and Paul

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It is such a good show and getting better with each appearance it seems (based on the comments on this board).

Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 31 Mar 06, 15:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always thought it was a very brave choice to open with that, particularly for Paul and especially at the start of the tour last year - to go out alone, to a potentially resistent audience, to be vulnerable and welcoming, and to sing "are you reaching out for me, like I'm reaching out for you", was pretty impressive, because he was very much literally reaching out to a new audience that might have shot him down in flames. I'd love to know whose idea it was to dig that track up.