Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Aric performs '39

forum rss feed
Author

tenchijin2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 96 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 02 Apr 06, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had some free time this weekend, so I finished my cover of '39. It's mostly true to the original, but I didn't do anything really fancy with the final chorus (the phasing effect on the record, for instance) and I put the vocals around the stereo spectrum just how I wanted, not the way the record has them.

Enjoy!

http://home.comcast.net/~tenchijin/39.wma

Stay tuned, Love of My Life is coming soon!

Aric

Aric Keith
VoxAC30BM user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 8 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 06, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fine work !!

There can be only one
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 02 Apr 06, 19:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounded pretty decent till that bass came in. It's funny, cause it sounds somehow comical along with the beat. Sorry! Don't know why it makes me feel like that, but it does.

Nice guitar bits here and there. The vocals for the most part are a mixed bag for me. Just sometimes pitchy and not always with a confident delivery.

Overall, pretty cool. But I'd probably change the bass and kick sound.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 02 Apr 06, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The bass is just a fender bass played almost note for note the same as the original bass line.

Same with the kick, although it's a little 'snappy' for my taste.

For reference, Adam, do you have something you've recorded which I could listen to?

Aric Keith
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 05:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds pretty good..
Electric guitars played a bit too choppy for my taste.
Great voice which sounds very good in the feel of the song. Maybe a slightly out of tune at some points. But overall it's great. Also the backing vocals.

The bass as Adam also said, sounds very muddy and clouds the low-end of the song.

Very nice stuff :) Hope you upload another song!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 06:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tenchijin2 wrote:

For reference, Adam, do you have something you've recorded which I could listen to?

Ah... you're annoyed with me. We'll see what I get done in the next few weeks. Hopefully something recent, rather than that Winter's Tale demo.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 08:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah... you're annoyed with me. We'll see what I get done in the next few weeks. Hopefully something recent, rather than that Winter's Tale demo.

Peace,
Adam.

I was annoyed with you 6 months ago when I began reading these forums. Now, I just roll my eyes.

It's tough to have any perspective on what you say using "Winter's Tale" as the benchmark. It's clear you fancy yourself an expert, what isn't clear is... why?

So, perhaps by hearing something you've recorded recently, I can understand what sounds you prefer.

Aric Keith
The Freddie Bigotes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 12:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds very cool....

Congratulations nice Version of '39

I like it... :D

Cheers ¡¡¡

I like Queen a Lot¡¡¡
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very nice. I like it!

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

tenchijin2 wrote:

Peace,
Adam.

I was annoyed with you 6 months ago when I began reading these forums. Now, I just roll my eyes.

It's tough to have any perspective on what you say using "Winter's Tale" as the benchmark. It's clear you fancy yourself an expert, what isn't clear is... why?

So, perhaps by hearing something you've recorded recently, I can understand what sounds you prefer.

Maybe I feel the way I do is because it's something to do with my job. Don't worry, I criticise my own stuff in the same way. The natural existence of a perfectionist!

Roll your eyes all you like. It's not like I didn't enjoy your cover. Sheesh.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 17:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fair enough, Adam.

I actually appreciate measured criticism. One thing you may consider is dropping the useless criticisms like "sounds comical" or the like and offering something useful, like "Could use a bit looser feel", or any other *helpful* suggestion.

What comes across is a guy who has one contribution (which vocally is pretty abysmal) nitpicking everyone's contributions as though he were an expert. Perhaps you are very good at this, Adam, but how would anyone know? Your comments are often derisive, and you offer nothing specific in return.

For instance, FriedChicken said the bass sounded 'muddy'. Now, in point of fact the bass is pretty clean IMO, but the low end isn't pulled together probably because of the reverb and the guitars adding some mud. BUT... at least I know what he thinks *specifically* is wrong.

Another thought: people post songs to forums like these not to be *judged* by people but rather to be enjoyed. I post these songs to other forums when I want advice on mixing or engineering. Perhaps if there were a 'fan recording forum' here, where audio engineering and mixing were discussed that would be very cool!

Aric Keith
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 03 Apr 06, 19:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting post. Fair enough. It's just that recently I haven't had the time to sit back and really delve into these things. Usually in the past I have offered specific ideas to try with things like EQ, delay, levels, etc.

It's probably because I'm really rushed off my feet and I just post what most people do, i.e. what they feel about the track. I just add things that most wouldn't usually say anything about.

Anyway, if you go to the fan mixes forum, you'll find that we're wanting people to post covers in there. Just because it's a good place for people like yourself. That's the place for specifics these days.

Peace,
Adam.

DrCari user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 02:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it sounds very very good.

A piece of constructive criticism:
(I am a former vocalist with formal training)...I think you have a really beautiful vocal quality. The weakest part of your vocal happens when you are running out of power in the higher register. My suggestion to remedy this would be to pace your breathing ....sometimes you need to take a new breath even if it doesn't feel intuitively like the logical place. Look at your vocal score and try to insert breaths just beore those stress points. You will probably find it much easier to sing through the high notes with steadiness and good pitch.

All in all, I think it sounds great!

Koolkikiland user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 71 posts

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 07:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Freddie Bigotes wrote:

Congratulations nice Version of '39
I like it... :D

I agree, Aric. Seriously, loved it. One of the best. . . and that middle choral section I imagine was NOT easy to pick apart and reproduce.

. . . and I don't mean to meddle in an argument here, but I didn't get your comments, Adam, about the bass part. ??? Aric's is faithful to the original and sounds great to me.

Anyway. . . loved it. Hope they post it to the SOC soon.

Dave

"Some day, one day. . . "

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Koolkikiland wrote:

. . . and I don't mean to meddle in an argument here, but I didn't get your comments, Adam, about the bass part. ??? Aric's is faithful to the original and sounds great to me.

I like the cover too! Cripes, I just didn't like the bass part for that bizarre reason. I can't explain beyond that.

*Goes to listen again*

Peace,
Adam.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fuck! ... This is the last time I listen on my av amp. Dude, many apologies, cause I just listened on my mixing setup and it sounds excellent!

A big doh from moi to you. Especially loved the middle choral bit that Kooki pointed at. Very nice - smooth.

Also, disregard what I said about the vocal being pitchy. It's not like how it sounded to me before. I'm starting to think that it was the circumstances I was in when I first listened to this cover. It was after a long surround sound mixing session. And I listened back on that av system. I've certainly learned my lesson.

The only true gripe I have is in the sound of the acoustic guitar. Somehow wooly sounding in the lower mid-range. And maybe something to do with the low-end.

So, there you go. I'm glad I took the time to listen back on those other speakers. Sounds much nicer.

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I appreciate the second listen.

Funny about the 'wooly' guitars. I actually kinda liked it that way, because the original is very muddy. I thought it lent it a more 'natural' quality.

I'm not sure I'm happy with the highs on the acoustic guitars... they're a bit 'crispy' to my ears, but for my amateur covers I think they're alright.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how I'd fix it if I wanted to!

Aric

Aric Keith

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 13:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I did just tweak a couple things that I noticed. "...score brave souls INSIDE" was out of tune enough to bug me, so I fixed that.

I also brought the kick back a touch and gave it a bit more reverb. That muddies things up a bit more, but I'm still enamoured of how ANATO has such a thick muddy feel while still being crisp and POWERFUL. So I'm experimenting.

BTW, if anyone wants to hear any of the parts stripped out of any of my covers, for fun, I'd be happy to post some of them.

I'm wrapping up work on Love of My Life right now. I'm waiting for someone to send me the harp parts (I don't have a good harp sound). I wish I had a better piano sample, but I'll have to make do with what I have until I get a *real* piano.

Aric Keith
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have some great piano sounds on my machine. Is your recording done through midi? If so, you could pass on the performance and I could put it through one of them. Then you could audition them and see what you like.

oui/non?

Peace,
Adam.

Posted: 04 Apr 06, 13:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oooooh... Yes, it is midi, and I would *love* to try that!

Can you email me privately? tenchijin at comcast.net.

aric

Aric Keith