Forums > Queen - General Discussion > In your opinioin..

forum rss feed
Author

bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 06, 17:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm doing a book report on Queen, and one of the questions on this report is "What was their greatest achievement?"*I haven't a clue. What do you guys think?
Some of their accomplishments:
*First band to undertake a stadium tour of S.A.
*Unanimously voted best band at Live Aid by media, journalists, critics, fans and Bob Geldof. (Who is that? lol)
*Poineered music videos
*Most highly qualified rock band ever- all four members have degrees
*Freddie was the first (and only) rock musician to compose, record, and perform classical opera
*(Highest total attendance for four consecutive nights in the UK (over 400,000)
*Boh Rap has been voted best song of all time
*Queen recently passed up the Beatles in the Guiness Book of World Records- highest selling band ever or something like that


That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 06, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

can't believe no one else has an opinion on this... Thanks LUBP for your two cents.. :)


That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 09 Apr 06, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is going to sound stupid, but it makes perfect sense to me: their greatest achievement was "Queen" - this iconic, legendary symbol that transgresses all boundaries of musical entertainment. The thoughts, the feelings, the attitudes, and the ideals that come to mind when you consider "Queen" - that is their greatest achievement, in my opinion. No other band comes close. Even bands so great as the Beatles or Led Zeppelin can be pigeonholed or grounded. Queen is sublime.

Maybe, as a Queen fan, I am exaggerating, but this is what I feel.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 01:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm not sure if this is correct and much of an achievement, but Freddie Mercury was considered the first Indian rock star.

Rompez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 03:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddieistheloveofmylife_89 wrote:


*Poineered music videos
*Most highly qualified rock band ever- all four members have degrees
*Freddie was the first (and only) rock musician to compose, record, and perform classical opera

1) Bullshit. Music videos were all over the place even in the 60's.
2) I realy doubt that Queen was the only band with all four members having degrees.
3) Barcelona IS NOT a classical opera..

The rest is quite correct.

unknown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 06:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir Tim Rice on Barcelona: "It was operatic, it was over the top, it was melodramatic, but in many aspects it was true opera.”

Rompez user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 222 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 08:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yes, Dasha. Sir Tim Rice is known as a big expert in the art opera.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose Bo Rhap was their greatest achievement..?


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Sergei. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Impresario, still
Sergei.
Deity: 4682 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What in the world....That is so not fair that you can do a Book report on Queen! :-P
I'd say the entire ANATO album (btw, I just finished watching the making video; has anyone else seen it?)


Back whenever
diffner user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 09:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't think Queen Invented the musicvideo, but they cetainly took them to a new level with Bo Rhaps.

No way Queen have sold more albums then Beatles. I have heard that Queen has sold about 150million copies. ABBA for example has sold over 500millions.



Queen_of_bohemia user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 1 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i recon it should be taking over the beatles, that clarifies that there is no one better than them =)

~Blue_Acid~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 10:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that their over all aceivment is the worldwide sucess, after being around 30+ years their still popular, still looked at as the greatest band in many countrys (japan, switzerland, south america and of course the U.K for a few) They have more sucess in the charts then the beatles and far more live sucess then the beatles and led zep. Their songs are some of the most covered, the first and only band to have a 1 one single twice with the same song, they own their own company (Queen Productions LTD), Greatest hits has been certified 3X platinum. I could go on.


"Im going to pull an Elvis Costello, but the chorus of this song goes What the hell are we fighting for..."

-Brian May 3/20/06 Pittsburgh @ the Mellon Arena before Hammer To Fall
val 29467 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 10:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddieistheloveofmylife_89 wrote:

I'm doing a book report on Queen, and one of the questions on this report is "What was their greatest achievement?"*I haven't a clue. What do you guys think?
Some of their accomplishments:
*First band to undertake a stadium tour of S.A.
*Unanimously voted best band at Live Aid by media, journalists, critics, fans and Bob Geldof. (Who is that? lol)
*Poineered music videos
*Most highly qualified rock band ever- all four members have degrees
*Freddie was the first (and only) rock musician to compose, record, and perform classical opera
*(Highest total attendance for four consecutive nights in the UK (over 400,000)
*Boh Rap has been voted best song of all time
*Queen recently passed up the Beatles in the Guiness Book of World Records- highest selling band ever or something like that

is queen better selling then the beatles now? hehe, something nice to tell my dad ;)


but you don't give me comfort and a man's gotta get it somewhere -brian may

i'll give you comfort brian XD
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, that can't be true. We all know the Beatles still rule.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







val 29467 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 425 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

No, that can't be true. We all know the Beatles still rule.

yeah, my dad's been going on about it a few weeks ago: ooh the beatles are the best selling artists in the world
keeps him happy...


but you don't give me comfort and a man's gotta get it somewhere -brian may

i'll give you comfort brian XD
greaserkat user not visiting Queenzone.com
greaserkat
Bohemian: 678 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 11:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen have been on the UK charts more than The Beatles, they have not passed The BEatles in album sells. Queen have sold about 175 million while The Beatles have sold over 1 BILLION albums.


Darling, Im not going to be a rockstar, Im going to be a LEGEND!!
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you.


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rompez wrote:

freddieistheloveofmylife_89 wrote:


*Poineered music videos
*Most highly qualified rock band ever- all four members have degrees
*Freddie was the first (and only) rock musician to compose, record, and perform classical opera

1) Bullshit. Music videos were all over the place even in the 60's.
2) I realy doubt that Queen was the only band with all four members having degrees.
3) Barcelona IS NOT a classical opera..

The rest is quite correct.


Sheesh, who shoved the stick up your ass?


That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

About Queen being bigger than the Beatles, check this out:

http://www.brianmay.com/queen/queennews/queennewsdec05a.html

You might need to scroll down just a bit, but it's not too hard to find.


That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
Freddie_Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think you should go with the beatles thing, cause although Bohmeian Rhapsody is a great song and what not, this is something that resulted from that and all the rest of there greatness, so in a way them beating the beatles just proves how great they really are, hence there greatest achievment.


Wear a rubber next time Freddie =(