I may have to mute the t.v. during Pickler's performance....:-S

Damn ... I really wanted to hear her pronounce 'Silver Salmon' :D

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6374 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 10 Apr 06, 23:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I will be working late. I have no interest in AI - even if Queen + PR performs.

Queen + PR in Chicago? Yes indeed.

Queen + PR in AI? Definitely no thanks.

Who needs to see another diluted rendition of WWRY+ARN+WATC?

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
rickelrr user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 24 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 01:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm watching. If you read Brians's latest soapbox it sounds like there might be a Queen surprise or two.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 04:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1.30 minutes of Innuendo and Who Wants To Live Forever.... *yawns*

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 04:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

How can one *possibly* just do 1.30 of Innuendo? If you ask me, it was painful enough when they chopped out the 'opera' bit at the Tribute Concert. Nevermind abbreviating most of what is really a kickarse song.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 04:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ugh... "R&B"'d WWRY??? Go to hell! That song worked (and still works) because of it's simplicity. Brian May used a beat that's probably been handed down since we were in the freakin' caves - it works because it's absolutely instinctual and timeless. Keep your R&B *crap* off this music, I say.

The Idol people are numpties if they think a Queen song should 'be okay' in such an abbreviated format. I actually feel sorry for the contestants. They're being screwed in the arse big-time.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 06:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

•Chris Daughtry, Innuendo: "It's a relatively unknown song. It just had a mixture of a dark feel and a positive message. And I just found out they've never performed this live."

In 1:30, perhaps he could just do the flamenco bit!

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FriedChicken<br><font size=1>The Almighty</font> wrote:

I thought that you were really into snippets of songs? :-)

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 09:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seriously, what is the point of singing a minute and a half of BoRhap? It's a waste. They'd be better just not doing it at all. There was a show called 'Queen Rocks' around a year ago on ITV, which sucked. G4 sang BoRhap. I say sang, I mean ruined. There was two minutes of it tops, and that sucked.

This can't end well.
billycat user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 103 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 09:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I admit this isn't going to be one of Queens highlight moments of their career but believe it or not it is helping keep the music alive and quite possibly bringing it to a newer audience who will eventually seek out the original stuff. I would recommend just simply avoiding it if you have a problem with the songs being cut. American Idol always does that so they can fit all the performers into one hour. Queen will be no exception to this. Also if you're automatically gonna hate anything that just isn't Freddie Mercury then you should perhaps avoid this like the plague. I guarantee you he's not going to be there in person and no one is going to sound just like him.

I don't see how this is going to ruin the Queen name or disgrace their history in any way since the original music is still always going to be what it is. Queen songs have already been featured on AI quite a few times so it's cool that this time they will get more of a special treatment from Brian and Rog themselves. Queen fans should be happy that their favorite band is getting so much more exposure than they have had in years and on one of the biggest tv shows in the US.

American Idol is far from one of my favorite shows and I haven't watched hardly anything at all from this season but I will be tuning in tonight and tomorrow. As a Queen fan for 25 years I'm happy to see them (or at least Brian and Roger...and the music) in the spotlight again.

...now please continue with the petty bickering and concerns that Queen are doing some great injustice to themselves and the world by simply getting the music out there once again.

mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

(Chris Daughtry, Innuendo: "It's a relatively unknown song. It just had a mixture of a dark feel and a positive message. And I just found out they've never performed this live.")

This guy's obviously never seen the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.

My only problem is, with something like this, you're taking young guys and girls with little or no knowledge of the legacy of bands such as Queen, and giving them some of the best Queen songs out there just to tear to bits (Innuendo, a six-minute song, cut down to 1:30, how the fuck are they gonna be able to make that sound good? That's like making it Led Zeppelin night and someone trying to sing Stairway To Heaven or Kashmir)

Believe me, I don't want to admit it, but I will:
this will be the worst thing Queen has ever done.

It will be worse than the Pepsi commercial.
It will be worse than WATC with Robbie Williams.
It will be worse than G4's Bohemian Rhapsody.
Simply put, it will be worse than anything that Brian and Roger have ever done (or allowed to be done) in their lives.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT, in any way, shape, or form, saying that Queen has sold out, or 'gone soft' or anything like that. This will not tarnish the legacy of Queen, it will just put a dent in their image. On the contrary, though, as it will only be a very small dent. So don't fret, loyal Queen fans. Nothing will be lost, except maybe our minds. :p

I'm tempted to watch it tonight. I know I shouldn't, but something tells me I should.
Please, somebody talk me down lol

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 10:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

me_and_my_innuendo wrote:

I'm tempted to watch it tonight. Please, somebody talk me down lol

don't watch it...you'll hate it.

hope that helps :-D

PieterMC

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 10:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Believe me, this will be worse than anything Queen has already done. It will be worse than the Pepsi commercial. It will be worse than WATC with Robbie Williams. It will be worse than anything that Brian and Roger have ever done (or allowed to be done) in their lives.

Innuendo is unknown in the US and Queen have never performed the song live. I don't count the tribute concert.

Please explain why this is worse than anything they have done? It's not like the band are going to be on the show performing the songs with these people. They just gave them some advice.

There are plenty of things that I can think of that are far worse that they have been involved in.

mystic_rhythms user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 448 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

billycat wrote:

I'm tempted to watch it tonight. Please, somebody talk me down lol

don't watch it...you'll hate it.

hope that helps :-D

Thanks.
That's just what I needed. lmao

We can only grow the way the wind blows

On a bare and weathered shore

We can only bow to the here and now

In our elemental war

- Rush, "The Way The Wind Blows"
~Blue_Acid~ user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 117 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

fuck that watch it, it will be decent, and even if it pisses you off that they suck, it will make you realize even more how great Queen are. They need the publicity THERE DOING A WORLD TOUR. They need it. I only wish they could out do Constitine.

"Im going to pull an Elvis Costello, but the chorus of this song goes What the hell are we fighting for..."

-Brian May 3/20/06 Pittsburgh @ the Mellon Arena before Hammer To Fall
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 10:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, the songs will be butchered and molested. But, dammit, it's cool that Queen gets some exposure in the US.

Flick of the wrist
DavidRFuller user not visiting Queenzone.com
DavidRFuller
Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1 min 30 sec is pathetic. How many commercials do they have?

PieterMC

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 11:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The show lasts for approx 44 mins without commercials.

I am sure that the performances will be longer than 1 1/2 mins. However anybody expecting the full song will be disappointed.

Why people are so upset about this is beyond me.

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 11:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sheer Pressure wrote:

1 min 30 sec is pathetic. How many commercials do they have?

This is the format they have used for every season of the show and every season of the show has been in the top of the ratings. Why should they change now? They are featuring the singers more than the songs. I'd say that roughly around 1:30 or so is enough time to make a valid judgement call on a performance. Sure I'd like to hear the entire songs too but that's not the point of the show.