Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Discussing AI Contestant Performances (Spoilers)

forum rss feed
Author

Gandahalf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 21:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sort of a Freddie freak, so beware. And remember, this is my opinion. So don't murder me!

Bucky (Fat Bottomed Girls)- He completely flattened out the song and I didn't like it. I didn't think there was much dynamic.

Ace (We Will Rock You)- I didn't think it was as bad as the judges said. It was better than what he's done before (Yeah, this show is my guilty pleasure). But it wasn't that great.

Kelli (Bohemian Rhapsody)- I hated this. She seemed too unexeperienced to sing it. Her tone was on, but there was something "too plain" about her voice for Bohemian Rhapsody.

Chris (Innuendo)- He BROUGHT it. I was worried he was going to try to go too hard, but that was damn good. I didn't like the judge's comments- Paula saying Queen probably never performed it becasue they couldn't, and Simon saying it was a bad sonfg. Although he just meant that it wasn't very "American Idol." Which is true. It wasn't like, family gather around the TV. So that's alright. But Paula's comment was stupid.

Katherine (Who Wants To Live Forever?)- It was really good for the most part, I just wish she wouldn't have "mushed" it together. I wish she was just a bit more clear. I don't know if that's a good explanation.

Elliot (Somebody To Love)- It was really good. Especially at the end. It wasn't Freddie completely, but that's okay beause he totally owned it. And I'm right on with what Randy said about the vibrato.

Taylor (Crazy Little Thing Called Love)- This was sang by some other guy earlier in the last round this season. That guy killed it becasue he tried to be all Elvis, but he wasn't so much. But anyway, Taylor, it was pretty good. I wish he had more levels in his voice for this song, but it was pretty good.

Paris (The Show Must Go On)- I'm glad it sounded like in her profile that she really appreciated Queen. But she didn't do too hot. I don't like how she and Kelli tried to wear these "punk ass" costumes or whatever. Just no.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 21:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=758893

rc user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 65 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 21:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paris, Elliot, and Chris did Queen songs some justice tonight.

I thought Ace, Kelli, and Bucky were horrible. but you have to give them credit for trying, Queen songs are difficult, what can I say.

Paris's outfit was a bit Barbarella-esque...lol

groover user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 83 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree about the Innuendo comments. Completely misinformed. The song itself is certianly not worthy of the label "not a very good song". And Paula Abdul had no idea what she was talking about.
Other than the judges comments about that song though, the program was highly complimentary/respectful of Queen's music.

lottie88 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 136 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 21:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I actually did not like the performance of Innuendo by Chris. It just did not work for me. I thought Somebody to love was a poor choice for anyone to undertake, because it involves such a wide range of vocals, and Freddie is pretty much the only one who can provide it. Bohemian Rhapsody was not as bad as I predicted. I originally thought that girl was committing suicide when she picked it. Fat Bottomed Girls had an interesting twist, and I think it worked with the country tone. I really did like Crazy Little Thing Called Love because Taylor was able to stay in the right range and hit the right parts of the song. Since that song mirrors Elvis, it worked for his country flavor. I did not like WWRY at all. There was no power in his voice, and it seemed flat and feminine. I chuckled when Brian refused to conform to his arrangement ideas. Overall, I thought it was good tonight, and I enjoyed it.

Gandahalf user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 89 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 21:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I got a kick out of that, too.

The Classic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Having just watched the show... I'd have to say that there was a few bright spots, but overall, this showed just how awesome of a band Queen could be. I dont think any of the performaces where head on... but the Crazy Little Thing, Show Must Go On, and Who Wants to Live 2ever, came off better than the rest. I doubt AI will do much pushing for their people to play Queen songs anymore in future years because singing/playing queen shows EXACTLY how green these people are. None came off as 100 percent awesome... That is what the quality of Queen does, it seperates the men from the boys. Queen were/are bigger than the judges, so anything they said...who cares. Simon never managed a bad as big for as long, Paula had one great album which hasnt stood the test of time, and all Randy has is some funk... he cant rock, nor anything else. Queen is the whole show....
Long Live the Queen.
John

The Classic user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 22:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

meant band... not bad about the whole simon comment.

bohemianrhap84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 23:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that Paula's comment about Innuendo was totally uncalled for. I can't stand her anyway and nobody really cares about what she says anyway.

As for the performances I have to disagree a bit:

Bucky did really well on Fat Bottomed Girls. That could easily tranfer to a record, remade as a rock/country song. Really well done

Katharine was alright. I love her and was looking forward to her performance but I was kinda disappointed at first, but I just watched it back again and it was alright.

Kellie did Bohemian Rhapsody. I have to admit when I heard she was gonna do this, I doubled up my heart medication and did heavy breathing exercises. However, I thought it was pretty good for her, but not nearly the best of the night. I actually liked her performance.

Elliot was okay. I was disappointed that he did Somebody To Love. I thought Katharine would've done much better with it. I think Elliot should have done a rock song. It was okay though.

I could hardly bear Ace's performance of We Will Rock You. He tried to change the beat and arrangement and it totally F'ed up the song and it was completely horrible.

Taylor was originally going to do We Are The Champions. Thank God he didn't. He would have massacred that song as he did Crazy Little Thing Called Love. I can't stand him and can't believe other people like him. Simon was right! It was ridiculous!!

Paris - First of all, I can't stand her. She tried to turn the beautiful ballad The Show Must Go On into a rock song. Oh my freakin' God that hideous, even for her. Really, really bad.

Chris sang Innuendo. I have to admit, this was an awesome performance, although it was somewhat ruined by Paula's stupid comment. Chris is the best of the "idols" by far and will win easily. He's awesome.

Great to see Brian and Roger interacting with the Idols. Although I think Brian was drunk because he said Paris was great! I laughed when Ace was trying to get them to change the beat to We Will Rock You. Brian must have wanted to say "you're a f'ing idiot. don't you know the beat to this song? you don't change it. it's right the way it is." What a joke Ace is anyway. I also couldn't believe that Elliot said he had never heard Somebody To Love before he rehearsed it. You can hear that song on almost any classic rock station. Wake up! I love this show but it was hard being objective, since I love Queen. Overall I thought it was really bad except for Chris and Bucky, Katharine Kellie were okay too.

How can I go on from day to day? Who can make me strong in every way?
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 23:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Elliot was a *DJ* too, and he hadn't heard of Somebody To Love?!? George Michael even had a hit remake of it.

Kid Rock did a country version of Fat Bottomed Girls awhile back...I'm not sure if it's on CD though....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
hotspacerules user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 23:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Its amazing how someone like Paris can't even hit the notes that Freddie did in "The Show Must Go On".......

blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 23:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Chris was totally the one tonight...He was really good!

I'm so pissed I could spit.
rubyrubes76 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 11 Apr 06, 23:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I Agree! Paris did not come close to those Freddie notes in the show must go on... My spine always tingles when I hear Freddie sing the last "oooon with the show."

Chris did great. Paula was like "hey was that a high C." Check out the studio version. Freddie hits the high D. Great job by Chris though. You can tell that Roger loved playing it.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 00:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe its just me....I love Innuendo, but not into Chris's hillbilly squelch version.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
PlanetMercury15 user not visiting Queenzone.com
PlanetMercury15
Bohemian: 202 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In my opinion -

Bucky - Oh my gosh I was laughing so hard he sucked Bucky country boy singing Fat Bottomed Girls oh my gosh come on ur kidding

Ace - He was okay

Katharine - She did good for the most part, I liked her performance. But, I didn't like how she sort of made it girly.

Elliot(t) - Oh dear okay vibratto though

Kellie - Made Bohemian Rhapsody too girly, and she looked like a cockatoo and Barbie

Chris - I am so sick of him he's a Scott Stapp wannabe and he sort of looks like him. Innuendo is a good song, and Paula's comment upset me (the one about how they never sang it live because....)He did have a few good points in the song though.

Taylor - Did okay, and I mean just okay it mostly sucked

Paris - She was one of the best tonight, the best in my opinion are Paris and Katharine. She did do a few things I didn't like, but overall it was better than the others.

No one will ever be Freddie or sing like Freddie, so they just need to quit! Those songs were made for his voice, and they wonder why no one else can do it.....except for us loving Queen fans :o)

"This is not cheap meat you're looking at!"

"One shrimp, one frog, one clam, one chicken!"

- Freddie Mercury
I♥The80's user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1916 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 00:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was what I expected.....nothing special. I thought all of them were pretty bad. In my opinion, Taylor Hicks was the best tonight but still, nothing special. I understand that it's Queen and difficult to perform and all but still, I was quite disappointed. The only part I liked was the beginning where they showed clips of Queen. :) Again, this is my personal opinion!

I is Tamara. ;)

>_> I'll stop changing my name now....

MSN address: lil_ruski_violinist@hotmail.com
All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goinback wrote:

Elliot was a *DJ* too, and he hadn't heard of Somebody To Love?!? George Michael even had a hit remake of it.

Kid Rock did a country version of Fat Bottomed Girls awhile back...I'm not sure if it's on CD though....

I know how can you have not heard "somebody to love" i mean honestly?

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
emil91 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 38 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 00:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

There was no feeling in The Show must go on(Paris), I really love the song and the way is sang(Freddie). This thing Called Love started ok and ended like Taylor change like he was sinning " I am a maniac, maniac...". Fat Bottomed Girls, ok, dilevered cool. We Will Rock You, let's just say We Will Rap You. Innuendo, nobody will know how this song can be sanged, live, becouse its creater is dead. Bohemian Rhapsody, I prefer last year's Constantine proformence. Somebody To Love, no love for the song, no feeling for it as well. Who Wants To Live Forever was probably sang the best, in meaning, closes to the original. They need to put feelings so the songs can become better as Freddie have done it.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I had never heard of any of these people before tonight, and I hope I never do again. I've never cringed for an entire hour before. I thought I had a case of rigor mortis.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
biggest_fan_K user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 342 posts

Posted: 12 Apr 06, 01:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Everyone did a horrible job except Taylor Hicks. God but Kellie? I hope her hillbilly ass gets sent going home tomorrow