Forums > Sharing The Music - Announce > Re-ANNOUNCE - DALLAS Oct 28 1978 FLAC

forum rss feed
Author

Ginger01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2611 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As requested, this originally appeared on Dime a few months ago, and Bokkepoot added a complete We are the Champions and God save the Queen (thanks for this!). I put them together into one torrent.

FLAC 490 MB

Here are the full notes that appeared on Dime :

Queen
Dallas, TX 10/28/78
Dallas County Convention Center Arena
“Premier Jazz”
Disc 1 from first generation copy
01. We Will Rock You (fast)
02. Let Me Entertain You
03. If You Can’t Beat Them
04. Somebody To Love
05. Medley: Death On Two Legs/
06. Killer Queen/
07. Bicycle Race/
08. I'm In Love With My Car
09. Get Down Make Love
10. You're My Best Friend
11. Now I'm Here
12. Spread Your Wings
13. Dreamer's Ball
14. Love Of My Life
15. '39
16. It's Late
17. Brighton Rock
Disc 2 from Master Tape
1. Fat Bottomed Girls
2. Sheer Heart Attack/
3. Keep Yourself Alive
4. Bohemian Rhapsody
Encore 1
5. Tie Your Mother Down
Encore 2
6. We Will Rock You
7. We Are The Champions
8. God Save The Queen

KeithDylan’s Notes: This is my first torrent. I hope everything works. I am doing this as a bit of a favor to the taper and I hope when he says, “It was recorded using a $20 GE cassette recorder with the external microphone that came with it,” everybody lowers their sound expectations accordingly. Having said that, I don’t think this is a waste of time, as you get to hear the band work a bit of the kinks out on stage, including a couple of slight false starts. I think this is the type of tape this site is made for, while far from perfect, it’s a work of a fan for fans. Please read the taper’s notes for lineage as both discs have traveled slightly different paths. However EAC and Flacfrontend set at 8 were used to convert both discs. I hope the people enjoys this.

Taper’s Notes:
This is the first recording by V4TX. It was recorded using a $20 GE cassette recorder with the external microphone that came with it. I was sitting in the lower part of the balcony, however the show was very loud, and there is relatively little audience interference. I am making this tape available to the community due to the fact that all research I have done indicates that this show does not circulate in a complete form. This tape contains the complete performance. It is not a great recording by any stretch of the imagination, but it is far from awful. Even though I was in the balcony, the concert was loud, and there is very little audience interference, most interference is during the encores. I would say this is a cut above “for completists only.” All instruments and vocals are present. It’s clear, but not high fidelity. The historical significance of this tape is it is the first show of the Jazz tour, I believe played before the album was released. This tape was traded a bit around the time it was recorded, but never in this quality. So I wouldn’t call this uncirculated, just undercirculated.
Transfer Notes:
The tape was originally made on 2 Ampex 90 minute normal bias tapes. Unfortunately time was not kind to either tapes. However, soon after the concert, if I remember, that weekend, I transferred the show to another set of cassettes. That turned out to be a good thing. What is on CD 1 is from that first generation copy. What I did was take only the right channel from that tape and split it. The left channel had a lower signal and much more hiss. Believe me, with the rig that was used, the tape was a mono recording, so nothing is missing by dropping the left channel. I then played it directly to a Sony CDR-W33. I did equalize it a bit. There was no use of the Limiter, or any attempt to reduce hiss. I know some purists will cringe at this, but I did the transfer for my ears, and I believe it makes the recording better. The change is minimal. Another thing about the first disc. There is a break after “Now I’m Here,” for a tape flip, unfortunately there is also a brief break after “Spread Your Wings.” This is due to the fact t

You will need a bittorrent client to download the music. For additional information, view the Bittorrent FAQ.

Please leave your window open when you have finished downloading so that other Queen fans can download.

This file will be customized for you when you download

Attachment: (1978-10-28) Dallas - Queen Premiere Jazz.torrent 39 KB

View Stats on this torrent

This has been downloaded 909 time(s).

The Game Rules! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 270 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 15:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks Ginger!

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have this but thanks...wonder how rare it was before the torrent here?

The Game Rules! user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 270 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you seeding?

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 15:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bitesthedust<br><h6> The QZ gentleman... wrote:

Quite rare. We only had a incomplete recording. So, a gem had been shared some time ago :-).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Ginger01 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2611 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh yes! Took a while to start but is moving nicely now :-)
So you know, I'll turn it off for the night in a couple hours but will let it run all day tomorrow.

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 16:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=blue>Rick wrote:

Quite rare. We only had a incomplete recording. So, a gem had been shared some time ago :-).

I got this off Dimeadozen you see....with WATC/GSTQ as one track. I had a rarity !!!

Sithmarauder user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1082 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 16:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Way to go Ginger, thanks for the share in FLAC to boot!!! Nice holiday surprise.
Happy Holidays!

"If we look half as good to you as you do to me, we must look good" Brian May

"No, Innuendo is not an Italian suppository, it's a Queen album."
vivequeen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 16:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MERCI BEAUCOUP

ninehi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 9 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

an FYI: DIME changed their policy shortly after this was originally posted there. Official tracks (like GSTQ or intro music) are now allowed on audience recordings. Soundboards are limited to 30 seconds, all right for am intro I guess.

DEAN1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 17:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you. :o)

PBB user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1425 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 18:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you Ginger.

Look out, take care, there's a lot of music out there...
phoenixFire user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 72 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 19:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thank you very much! ;-)

...it's in the lap of the Gods!
donovana32@aol.com user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 37 posts

Posted: 13 Apr 06, 21:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for sharing this. I will seed as long as I can after getting this. I am still sseeding Perris 79 video.

I'm not sure that posting a torrent of a show makes the show less rare. As far as I am concerned, if you can't buy it in your local record shops, then it's rare.

Donovan Ainsworth
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 14 Apr 06, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It was originally shared on Dimeadozen by the bootlegger himself. He hung onto the tape for years because he thought the complete version was circulating. After he realized it wasn't, he shared it. This is such an awesome recording. You get to hear Queen at their nervous best, as it's the first show of the Jazz tour!

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 14 Apr 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

It was originally shared on Dimeadozen by the bootlegger himself. He hung onto the tape for years because he thought the complete version was circulating. After he realized it wasn't, he shared it. This is such an awesome recording. You get to hear Queen at their nervous best, as it's the first show of the Jazz tour!

But - this has not been shared properly! No source information has been attached. This is why Queen collectors are often the laughing stock of the wider rock collecting world. It's a fact.

From the beginning to Brighton Rock, it's "first generation tape > CDR", and from FBG to the end it's "master > CDR". This information should ALWAYS be present when distributing this recording, and any other recording where the source can be traced. If it cannot be traced, then you should openly say so. This stuff matters.

I downloaded the Dimeadozen torrent at the time, as I recall the bootlegger did make this information available then....

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18628 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I downloaded the Dimeadozen torrent at the time, as I recall the bootlegger did make this information available then....

Right, but we all need to realize that this information must continue to be passed on as the recording is spread.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 04:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir GH<br><h6>ah yeah</h6> wrote:

Right, but we all need to realize that this information must continue to be passed on as the recording is spread.

Fair play, but doesn't the uploader here mention it?

deacy 1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 07:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks!

frank39 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 478 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks a lot for this version of Dallas, its great.