Forums > Queen - General Discussion > American Idol: Analysis

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 11:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To Queen fans,
After watching "American Idol", it was clear to me that the people on that show cannot even come remotely close to Freddie Mercury in terms of vocal talent and overall charisma. However, the guy who sang "Crazy Little Thing" was pretty charismatic. In terms of vocal abilities, I was really disappointed that some of the contestants opted out of doing technically difficult songs. I mean, "Fat Bottomed Girls" and "We Will Rock You" are really not all that hard to sing. I was hoping intead that someone would try "I Want to Break Free", "Under Pressure", "Another One Bites the Dust" or "We Are the Champions".
I also thought that the show illustrates very clearly why Freddie Mercury is in a league of his own. To me, the main reason has to do with the forceful, powerful quality of his delivery. Even though a lot of R&B-type singers can do fancy little trills, they don't have that intensity and power when they sing. Maybe Whitney Houston is an exception.
Another reason why Freddie Mercury is such a great singer involves his unique style. When you listen to the girl who sang "Who Wants to Live Forever?", although she has a nice voice for Broadway-type songs, there is just something unoriginal about her. In fact, there is something even phoney about it, as though every Broadway singer would sing that song in the same exact way, for instance by ending each belted-out note with a slow transition into an extended vibrato.
What also makes Freddie Mercury one of the greatest singers ever involves his original style. In some ways his style is influenced by black music. In other ways, since he was originally Indian, there are even some Eastern sounding elements that are added here and there. That is why he is so interesting as a singer and so much better than anyone on "American Idol".

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They were all shite compared to Freddie Mercury. No one can sing as good as him. It's a fact.

firefox-inqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, but they cant be identicle to freddie.

Freddie mercury R.I.P
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Loyal2Freddie wrote:

...When you listen to the girl who sang "Who Wants to Live Forever?", although she has a nice voice for Broadway-type songs, there is just something unoriginal about her. In fact, there is something even phoney about it, as though every Broadway singer would sing that song in the same exact way, for instance by ending each belted-out note with a slow transition into an extended vibrato...

I *hated* her rendition. She is so phoney. And she sang *flat.* I was like, "AHHHHHHH!" when she started to raise her arms.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 13:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ravenetta wrote:

lol its clear to me i still hate that show

BINGO!

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 14:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

beautifulsoup wrote:

Loyal2Freddie wrote:

...When you listen to the girl who sang "Who Wants to Live Forever?", although she has a nice voice for Broadway-type songs, there is just something unoriginal about her. In fact, there is something even phoney about it, as though every Broadway singer would sing that song in the same exact way, for instance by ending each belted-out note with a slow transition into an extended vibrato...

I *hated* her rendition. She is so phoney. And she sang *flat.* I was like, "AHHHHHHH!" when she started to raise her arms.

haha! I was like nooooo, she ruined Brian's Song!!! I dont like her much either, maybe if i got to know her, id change my mind, but she doesnt seem real...
I wouldnt mind seeing her on broadway though...

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 15 Apr 06, 18:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A show like that just proves how amazing Queen are and how hard their songs are to sing...even my mom said that to me.

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
Exchange . user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 53 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DreaminQueen wrote:

beautifulsoup wrote:

Loyal2Freddie wrote:

haha! I was like nooooo, she ruined Brian's Song!!! I dont like her much either, maybe if i got to know her, id change my mind, but she doesnt seem real...
I wouldnt mind seeing her on broadway though...

I hate when people's trying to show of with singing high pitches as long they can (as she did), they seems so fake. And it's not singning it's screaming with music in the background

"I will not be a rockstar....i'll be a legend"
Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 14:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just disagree in one point!
I didn`t saw the show, but it apears that the producers of the show and all the guys that work to that program, those are the ones that were not worthy of having Queen in there!!

The lack of respect they have shown to Queen legacy is just absurd.
Put yourselves in those kids shoes!! I mean, even if you do an OK job, there`s always that Mr.Simon saying it was shit! I can understand that these guys are running after a dream, but when you are treated like shit week after week, it`s not good for your creativity juices, if you know what i mean!

Why there are still kids that wan´t to be on that Show?- I don`t know.

Take care

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 15:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

firefox-inqueen wrote:

yeah, but they cant be identicle to freddie.

They should be.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Freddie_Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've hate American Idol, but I felt kind of bad for the contestants on Queen night because they were pretty much setting them up to fail.

Also, Queen night wasn't only a bad idea because of the contestants not being able to sing similar to Freddie, but also because the band Queen was able to harmonize so well, and just one contestant singing songs like fat bottomed girls and things that are meant to be harmonized, it just doesn't work =\

Wear a rubber next time Freddie =(
goinback user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 997 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 17:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was Freddie the same age or younger than those people by the time Queen was successful? That really shows you how far they have to go....

"I have no time for Time magazine. Or Rolling Stone." Jethro Tull
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

goinback wrote:

Was Freddie the same age or younger than those people by the time Queen was successful? That really shows you how far they have to go....

Freddie was probably older than the people on AI... I think.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Freddie_Jr. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 173 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 20:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All of Queen was older than most bands when they were getting started. And with Freddie being the oldest I can only assume that he was older than American Idol contestants.

Wear a rubber next time Freddie =(
FreeSpirit328 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 259 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 22:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm the same age as Freddie was in 1973...most, if not all of the contestents on A.I are younger then me...and younger than Freddie was back then.

Although it's possible that Chris is older...

www.youravon.com/jaberdeen

Direct delivery available to customers living outside of Rhode Island. Enter code REPFS to receive free shipping.
FreeSpirit328 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 259 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 22:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't mind me, I have no idea why I brought up the fact that I'm the same age as Freddie was when Queen first started making it big. Maybe I just like the idea, lol

www.youravon.com/jaberdeen

Direct delivery available to customers living outside of Rhode Island. Enter code REPFS to receive free shipping.