Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Montserrat and the Freddie Mercury tribute concert

forum rss feed
Author

inmsthebest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 532 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 13:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hi there.
I know that Montserrat really liked and admired Freddie as a musician so much...she also loved him as a friend, and the other day I was watching one film about her and there was a place for Freddie there between all those magnificent operatic arias performances of her.
Does any of you know why she was not there at the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992?
Maybe she had commitments and could not make it?
I imagine that Brian and Roger invited her to sing in this event, but does anyone know for sure what happened?

Thanks.

God, Amazing powerful musicians""
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

More than a tribute to Freddie, that concert was a self-promotion orgy and a tribute Brian did to himself.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 18:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But do you know why Montserrat wasn't there, being as she was one of Freddie's friends and one of Freddie's most admired singers and misicians ever?
You think they didn't even invite her?

Shadowlands user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 19:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

More than a tribute to Freddie, that concert was a self-promotion orgy and a tribute Brian did to himself.

Now that's a tad harsh....

Joma user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 388 posts

Posted: 16 Apr 06, 20:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Why do you think that?

Live life to the full!
scallyuk user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 297 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 03:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Were you there Sebastian? Do you presume to speak fo the thousands of us who were there to pay tribute to Freddie ? I was and I was there when it was announced at the Brits.

I know why some if not all of the peformers were there too. I asked them . If you weren't there STFU

N

"amateurs practice till they get it right, professionals practice till they can't get it wrong"
jasen101 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 746 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They did ask her but she couldn't do it...apparently she was already involved with another project at the time.

Freddie: "Yes, we'll have a great big cock fly over the crowd!"

Roadies: "Yeah! Great Idea!"

Freddie: "And it will fly into a great big mouth with a moustache!"

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 07:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's day? So you think, Freddie cared for Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Def Leppard, Seal, Lisa Stansfield and lots of others there? For me at least there were heaps of moments when I wondered what Freddie would have thought. Aretha Franklin wasn't there, Montserrat Caballé wasn't there, Prince wasn't there, Peter Straker wasn't there...singers and friends that meant a bit to Freddie. That tribute was a bit strange sometimes really.

Jan

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 07:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So we have a different concept of it. I wanted to see musicians that Freddie liked or loved as musicians or friends (well, yes, Elton John was there and Liza Minelli was there...). You wanted to see people that were influenced by Queen. Different points of view, I guess, nothing to argue about. But I so skip Bob Geldof every time. :-)

Jan

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 08:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jasen101 wrote:

They did ask her but she couldn't do it...apparently she was already involved with another project at the time.

Thank you:-)
And yes, I agree with most of you that Sebastian's opinion might be a little harsh...I don't think neither Brian nor Roger nor John(the least of all, bless him)wanted this Freddie tribute concert as an excuse for their egos to show, I don't think their mood was too much into that.
Freddie's passing surely was hard enough and they were still going through the pain.
I heard Roger say they used it as a kind of help to transform their mourning into something joyful that Freddie would have loved.

And I really think Brian was really moved when he sang TMLWKY, as Barry said. I thought the man was going to cry.
It was a great performance.
But I have to say I concur with the ones who said they missed Montserrat Caballé. At least they could have done some videotaped performance or speech. Really strange that didn't happen considering the willingness of Montserrat to talk about Freddie and in such a devoted way she does.
Anyway, I have seen a pic from the MIH promo, and she was there with Brian, I found that maybe they got on well in the end.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Your grasp of music theory grants you no common sense in any other field it seems.

They were doomed to fail in your view from the get-go I think. What would have happened if they'd picked all Freddie songs? People would have bitched that nobody could get it right like Freddie (heck, they already did complain about that).
If they'd picked songs that Freddie didn't write, they'd come up against people like you saying it's a Brian May Tribute Concert.

I saw plenty of Freddie footage, plenty of Freddie songs, and the thing was named after him. I don't see a problem here. Was it that they didn't play any ABBA or something?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i heard that montserrat caballe is quite ill, - when she was in germany she quitted a concert where i wanted to go and came the next year. i know that her health isn't so well (cerebral tumour?) maybe that's why she didn't went there. or maybe, as suggested, she was involved in another project, - ok she liked freddie and he admired her, but they weren't best friend now at all, so maybe she had a tour which was more important to her than the tribute concert.

carboengine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1283 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmsthebest wrote:

Hi there.
I know that Montserrat really liked and admired Freddie as a musician so much...she also loved him as a friend, and the other day I was watching one film about her and there was a place for Freddie there between all those magnificent operatic arias performances of her.
Does any of you know why she was not there at the Freddie Mercury tribute in 1992?
Maybe she had commitments and could not make it?
I imagine that Brian and Roger invited her to sing in this event, but does anyone know for sure what happened?

Thanks.

The second paragraph tells why.

carboengine:

Posted: 5/28/2005 12:07:01 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
At first, I thought it was the strangest thing I had ever heard. I took it out later. Hmm, interesting. And later still. Now, it is one of my favorites. When Ms. Caballe is effortlessly singing those high notes, I get chills every time. This CD is an extraordinarily ambitious piece of work by Freddie. I am stunned by his musical genius.

Going further I took out a library book named Montserrat Caballe casta diva by Robert Pullen and Stephen Taylor (copyright 1994.) What a life story! Chapter 12 is "1985 - 1988: Mercury Rising," which is bits and pieces about their collaboration for the CD. Primarily the chapter is about her career during those three years, but the book has a thorough index including a reference to why she did not partake in the Tribute concert.

"It was because of her non-stop commitment to the EXPO's inaugural week, performing every night, that she was unable to take part in the Freddie Mercury memorial gala at Wembley Stadium. ... And attempts to televise her live backstage during one of the intervals in the performance and beam her contribution via satellite direct to London were frustrated by the discovery that, since the Mercury memorial was itself being telelvised live worldwide from London, it was impossible to obtain a satellite link into the city. ... Both, indeed, cherished plans for a future collaboration together, based upon a stage work Freddie wanted to write."

Yes, it was a worthwhile experience.

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 11:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Rosedewitt:Freddie is indeed important to Montserrat, you can tell that from all the interviews she has given and in several movies about Freddie...and also in her own movie.
And yes you're right, she's sick.
Has been since 1975!. But her courage and love for life doesn't let her stop and stay in bed.
She keeps on, I'm very sorry that the concert you were going to attend was cancelled.
And I hope you get to see her sometime, she's just one in a million.;)

Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Speaking of Brian being emotional at the Tribute concert, am I mistaken or did he seem very choked up during Crazy Little Thing as Robert Plant sang the "ready Freddie" part? I swear it looked like he was about to lose it there for a minute.

"The things you have to do for money..."
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 12:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't ask for "all Freddie songs". Young Dudes was a great inclusion as well as Days Of Our Lives and The Show, they couldn't be more appropiate for the moment even if Mercury didn't compose any of them. And Who Wants To Live Forever.

Still, there were more songs by Brian than by Freddie, there were more acts who were friends with Brian than with Freddie (Tony Iommi, for instance). It is true that Metallica etc were influenced by Queen but it wasn't a tribute to Queen, it was (or claimed to be) a tribute to Freddie, where of course Queen were the most important part of his career, but still they should've (in my opinion) focused more on what he wrote for the band. Even in Queen tours there were more songs by Freddie than the others, now in an alleged Freddie tribute there were more songs by Brian. Three or four songs by him would be fair enough imo, but the first 20 minutes of the concert are all of his creations, for instance.

I'm not putting down the concert itself, I think it was a very good one and personally I prefer that Brian-Tribute (with GnR, Hetfield and the Leps) than a truly Fred-Tribute (with Prince, Jacko and Straker). But imo it wasn't a tribute to Freddie, it was a self-promotion device for Mr May.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No, no, no, no, no - of course performing of all-time Queen greatest hit ever "Las Palabras De Amor" with the guy on vocals whom Freddie have never heard about was more important than absent performing of "Love Of My Life" (Brian on guitar, Wembley on lead vocals)... Sure!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 12:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I wouldn't ask for "all Freddie songs". Young Dudes was a great inclusion as well as Days Of Our Lives and The Show, they couldn't be more appropiate for the moment even if Mercury didn't compose any of them. And Who Wants To Live Forever.

Still, there were more songs by Brian than by Freddie, there were more acts who were friends with Brian than with Freddie (Tony Iommi, for instance). It is true that Metallica etc were influenced by Queen but it wasn't a tribute to Queen, it was (or claimed to be) a tribute to Freddie, where of course Queen were the most important part of his career, but still they should've (in my opinion) focused more on what he wrote for the band. Even in Queen tours there were more songs by Freddie than the others, now in an alleged Freddie tribute there were more songs by Brian. Three or four songs by him would be fair enough imo, but the first 20 minutes of the concert are all of his creations, for instance.

I'm not putting down the concert itself, I think it was a very good one and personally I prefer that Brian-Tribute (with GnR, Hetfield and the Leps) than a truly Fred-Tribute (with Prince, Jacko and Straker). But imo it wasn't a tribute to Freddie, it was a self-promotion device for Mr May.

I can see where you come from, but it doesn't make quite a lot of sense.

To look at it from purely a songwriting point of view, yes - there was more May written stuff (I think, I haven't done a check on that).
I always thought the idea was really to just put on a very big show (which in itself is a tribute to Freddie, the master of big-show-putting) and give people one last vestige of that Queen thing (at the time, it was going to be the last one, wasn't it?).

I can respect what you're saying Sebastian, but just because there weren't as many Mercury compositions, doesn't mean that it was a self-promotion tool. It's second-guessing a guy we don't even know to say that he'd use someone he worked with for twenty years to sell records.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 17 Apr 06, 17:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

inmsthebest wrote:

And I hope you get to see her sometime, she's just one in a million.;)

I agree. I've been lucky enough to see/hear her in concert twice. :)

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash

Posted: 18 Apr 06, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Barry © wrote:

Surely Roger and John also had a say in the set list?

Yes, I'm thinking the same thing...

Serry... wrote:

No, no, no, no, no - of course performing of all-time Queen greatest hit ever "Las Palabras De Amor" with the guy on vocals whom Freddie have never heard about was more important than absent performing of "Love Of My Life" (Brian on guitar, Wembley on lead vocals)... Sure!

Serry, you had a good one there, LOL, and sure Freddie would have loved that Love of my life had been performed in his tribute.
I really don't want to think that Brian used this tribute as a self-promorion of his music.

Sebastian wrote:

Even in Queen tours there were more songs by Freddie than the others, now in an alleged Freddie tribute there were more songs by Brian..

Maybe that's the reason why he included so many of his own creations in this gig?
Not that I agree with that.

Surely Aretha Franklin, Montserrat Caballé and George Michael(who was there and did an excellent job) would have been some of the best Freddie's admired singers to be there at his tribute, and I don't think they are worse than May's friends. Also Mike Moran, where was he?.