Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Brians comments on GH1

forum rss feed
Author

liam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 596 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was listening to track commentry on GH1 dvd and during Save me brian says 'i had a lot to do with this video as my songs seldom became singles'. Well if we add it up at that stage Brian has had;

Keep yourself alive
Now im here
Tie your mother down
We will rock you
Fat bottomed girls
Save me
Flash

that to me appears to be a good amount. Freddie had a few more, John had, had 2 and poor old rog had no singles at this time. So it seems a bit stupid to say that.

Go, Go, Go, little queenie!!
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 00:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To play Devil's Advocate, he probably meant 'big' singles. I don't think his ones (WWRY notwithstanding of course) sold as well, did they? I actually can't remember! :D

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad you brought this up!....I also noticed that comment, that's all I could do is laugh. Queens first single was brians (keep yourself alive) also songs like "long away" it's late, tie your mother down and the rest you mentioned. The one thing I noticed about Brian is he loves to complain.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad you brought this up!....I also noticed that comment, that's all I could do is laugh. Queens first single was brians (keep yourself alive) also songs like "long away" it's late, tie your mother down and the rest you mentioned. The one thing I noticed about Brian is he loves to complain.

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

I thought Rog was the one who liked to complain...oh well

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 02:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeh it was a foolish thing to say, condidering roger was sitting next to him when he said who hadnt had a single yet.

SomebodyWhoLoves user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 03:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has a pretty big ego. He's always had a big one, but Freddie always outshone him.

So I think that comment was a little bittersweet, and perhaps, a jab at Freddie in my opinion.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B>Jellybean Queen <h6>sweet body kisses wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

But Roger's complaining is in the way of, "I'm above this nonsense," or "This is really stupid."

Brian's complaining is more in the way of, "I'm not respected enough as an artist," or "Queen is not respected enough as a band."

You get the gist.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
RETROLOVE

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 04:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicman wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

But Roger's complaining is in the way of, "I'm above this nonsense," or "This is really stupid."

Brian's complaining is more in the way of, "I'm not respected enough as an artist," or "Queen is not respected enough as a band."

You get the gist.

Okay, I feel ya...Musicman, you da man!!!

I always thought of Brian as 'the humble one'
but I dont know, guess I'll have to watch the GHV1...as for Roger...I dont know...this is all bascially from hearsay...just talking to people that have meant them, interviews, etc...

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicman wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

You get the gist.

but I dont know, guess I'll have to watch the GHV1...as for Roger...I dont know...this is all bascially from hearsay...just talking to people that have meant them, interviews, etc...

Brian is very humble, but he also has quite an ego. One may think this to be contradictory, but really, it isn't - it's actually quite common. He is always very modest in behavior, deferential to others - all others - in his seemingly limitless respect. However, one can easily sense that he has a very strong ego that is kept in check by his outward humility. I think this is very admirable - you can't control the size of your ego, but you CAN control how much your ego influences your behavior. And he does so very well.

In other words, he will never say he deserves anything, but he will certainly think it - and it shows in slight subtleties in what he says.

RETROLOVE

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 07:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicman wrote:

Musicman wrote:

mike hunt wrote:

You get the gist.

Brian is very humble, but he also has quite an ego. One may think this to be contradictory, but really, it isn't - it's actually quite common. He is always very modest in behavior, deferential to others - all others - in his seemingly limitless respect. However, one can easily sense that he has a very strong ego that is kept in check by his outward humility. I think this is very admirable - you can't control the size of your ego, but you CAN control how much your ego influences your behavior. And he does so very well.

In other words, he will never say he deserves anything, but he will certainly think it - and it shows in slight subtleties in what he says.

Doesnt surprise me, he's a doctor!!!!

Well, I go to his (Brian's) official website almost everyday to read his soapbox, its so damn funny, but its very deep also...and let me tell you, I can tell just from interviews and reading his soapbox, goddamn, this guy can talk!!!

So your basically saying that he does have an ego, but he keeps it in check?

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 07:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicman wrote:

Brian is very humble, but he also has quite an ego...

Maybe it's pride rather than ego?

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Brian is very pessimistic.

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 07:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Musicman wrote:

Wouldn't they be more or less the same thing?

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicman wrote:

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Musicman wrote:

Wouldn't they be more or less the same thing?

Sort of. But I think of pride as being a positive thing - taking pride in your work, etc, and ego as being cocky and boastful.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 12:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When he says hit singles, he does mean big-selling, and KYA failed to chart, so you can't really count that.

This can't end well.
kohuept user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 552 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Um...wasn't it a joke?

You just can't beat the reasonably priced mosquito repellant OFF.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He didn't say hit singles, he said singles. And I don't think he was joking, he was just complaining, something he does so well.

And yes I do agree that he's quite profound very often. He's definitely a good writer and a brilliant artist in all of the areas he practices: guitar, songwriting, arranging, lyrics, forewords (read the booklet of his solo albums), stereo photograph, and of course, having a huge ego like most artists.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
RETROLOVE

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 00:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mayniac316 wrote:

I think Brian is very pessimistic.

See..I always thought that was Roger also, I mean, I dont personally know the man, just from hearsay

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

listen to the commentry though just too see how much roger whines about them, he doesnt like one clip.