Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Brian and Rogers next singer?

forum rss feed
Author

bonnzzo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 13:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What do you guys think about Paul's Sheryl Crow comment. I don't think that he put much thought into that comment. Though on the same subject, I think that they should have gotten together with George Michael after the Concert for Life. But that was during his Listen without Predgedus(sp) period and he was in a world of his own. On a side note, we all know how picky the guys are about their music and releasing stuff that they feel isn't good quality ro good for the band, but they signed off on that George Michael and Queen disk (with Lisa Stansfield), thus in my mind they dug what they did with George but the feeling wasn't mutual. Discuss.....

zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the Sheryl Crow comment is misunderstood. Paul wasn't talking about who could follow him up as front-man (or -woman, as it may be) for Queen, but rather who could sing his material when he is "gone", hence the "I plan on sticking around for a while" remark.

Flick of the wrist
luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 609 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 00:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Christina Aguilera should be next. She has a very good range and depth of voice. I think she could keep up with Freddie. I mean, she is the only one who can pull enough octaves out of her to sing like Freddie. Her personality is similar to Freddie's also, so she could work the crowd as well.

rosedewitt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 525 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 09:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

luthorn wrote:

Christina Aguilera should be next. She has a very good range and depth of voice. I think she could keep up with Freddie. I mean, she is the only one who can pull enough octaves out of her to sing like Freddie. Her personality is similar to Freddie's also, so she could work the crowd as well.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL^^ omg, xtina the successor of freddie LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

the'd better ask me for singing their songs ;P

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 09:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jeff Scott Soto should be next, guy is amazing. He can sing almost every song - and very good. Let's vote for him!

I think I'm banana tree...
Brian_Mays_Wig user not visiting Queenzone.com
Brian_Mays_Wig
Deity: 2934 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 10:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

boca wrote:

Jeff Scott Soto should be next, guy is amazing. He can sing almost every song - and very good. Let's vote for him!

no.............hes shit.

Chom own mudder fukker.
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 10:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should sing the bloody tracks themselves. Both Brian and Roger have got a range almost as large as Freddie's, and they wouldn't have to do many difficult numbers since most of them have been now dropped from their setlist. Nowadays, as far as I know, May's tracks outnumber Freddie's, and I've always thought Brian can sing his own compositions even better than Freddie. And he used to be really good in the rock part of Bo Rhap, I'd say Roger'd be even better.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

They should sing the bloody tracks themselves.

That's what I've been saying... :)

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wouldn't mind being their vocalist...

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Donna13 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1683 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 15:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

His comment is not about someone replacing his role as a singer for Queen concerts. It's about his music. Someone to sing his music when he is too old. This is not about Queen's music at all.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm. Let's see. They could go fishing in a market of incompetent singers who are not as familiar with the catalogue OR-
They could just do it themselves. Brian May learnt how to sing high when he did his solo stuff, he's practically got Freddie's range now. Roger always had a higher voice.
If they don't sing on any upcoming project I'll be sorely disappointed. Brian's voice is unfortunately a little weak in that spot between middle and very high, but he's still a good singer who does what he can. Roger, incredible voice when he uses it. I still don't know why they never went on tour just with those two as vocalists.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 01:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

you sound really intelligent!...brian has freddie range now, that's a good one!...brian and roger should put queen to sleep once and for all.

Fenderek user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4924 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 08:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

They should sing the bloody tracks themselves. Both Brian and Roger have got a range almost as large as Freddie's, and they wouldn't have to do many difficult numbers since most of them have been now dropped from their setlist. Nowadays, as far as I know, May's tracks outnumber Freddie's, and I've always thought Brian can sing his own compositions even better than Freddie. And he used to be really good in the rock part of Bo Rhap, I'd say Roger'd be even better.

It would be fine 10 years ago... Maybe 6... But they are not getting younger and... Roger's voice is still all right (IILWMC was a highlight of the tour), but Brian... And they aren't getting younger either...
I've hear Brian doing IWIA few times on the last tour. They NEED a singer.
And they have one. Sheryl Crow comment was obviously misunderstood...

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think Paul should stay right where he is. Do your little solo shows, and then come back to Queen.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 12:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

you sound really intelligent!...brian has freddie range now, that's a good one!

Ok, I've long suspected this but I finally have the proof. You are a *retard*.
Do you know anything about music at all? Ok, I don't know a lot of the theory, but I've got perfect pitch. I can pick the pitch of someone's *fart* if it goes long enough.
I can surely say to you, here, right now, that with the exception of Hitman or Was it All Worth It, Brian covered the range of just about any Queen song when he did stuff like Resurrection.
I am not debating that he's a better singer, I am not debating whether it sounded any good. I am *purely* talking about the notes he hit. D's and stuff. Very high ones.

You have to be on *crack* to discount what I said, dude. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of how fast his vocal cords were smacking together and you cannot argue with this because it's *RECORDED EVIDENCE*.

Did you ever see that South Park episode where they nominated John Edward for the Biggest Douche of the Universe Award?
I THINK I FOUND A NEW WINNER.

PS. Roger too, could equal Freddie's range, in his hey-day at least.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 15:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Brian May learnt how to sing high when he did his solo stuff

If he expanded it two semitones for each end, that'd be a lot. What he did was getting a stronger voice, but his range was large from the beginning (check his falsetto singing in '39 for instance).

> he's practically got Freddie's range now.

No. Even in the 90s when he used to sing every night, he couldn't get as high or as low as Freddie, although the difference wasn't giant. I haven't listened to Brian singing since Amsterdam (except at the ANATO documentary), and he still can do high notes but not nearly as high as Fred's or Rog's. Never could, and never will.

> Roger always had a higher voice.

He's brilliant in mid range as well as fairly good in low ones. Check his solo stuff for intance. He's not only flying falsettos.

> you sound really intelligent!...brian has freddie range now, that's a good one!

Considering Fred's dead, then, yes.

> brian and roger should put queen to sleep once and for all.

Yes. Although if they ever toured as what they really are (Brian May + Roger Taylor + ...), I'd be the first one attending their gigs. And if Roger plays guitar and shares vocal, even better!

> It would be fine 10 years ago... Maybe 6... But they are not getting younger and...

Neither is Paul. I haven't heard him singing since Rock Aid Armenia (and I'm proud to say I haven't listened to any of the 2005 or 2006 tours), but as far as I know, he's not even close to what he was in the 70s.

> I can surely say to you, here, right now, that with the exception of Hitman or Was it All Worth It, Brian covered the range of just about any Queen song when he did stuff like Resurrection.

No way. Think about the early ones: My Fairy King, In The Lap Of The Gods (intro), Bo Rhap, Black Queen, '39 (bridge) ... all of them with Bbs, As, Gs and stuff far beyond Brian's reach. Resurrection is a special case, where he covered three octaves, but of course he couldn't reproduce that on stage (I'm not saying he cheated, just that he took advantage of takes and edits). He did sing some high Ds during BTTL and AW tours (Teo, Lovelife, Why Don't...), but that's not notably higher than what he did in the band; for instance, check their '79 Japanese gig in which Fred had the flu, Brian took over the chorus of Champions and he did hit the C.

> You have to be on *crack* to discount what I said, dude. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of how fast his vocal cords were smacking together and you cannot argue with this because it's *RECORDED EVIDENCE*.

Yes, but Freddie sang higher than the D many times, and he could definitely sing lower than Brian even if there aren't too many recordings proving it.

> Roger too, could equal Freddie's range, in his hey-day at least.

No. Fred could sing lower and they could probably get equally high (or the difference would be one or two semitones tops). Roger's highest recorded note was a C5, Freddies's highest is almost half an octave higher than that (F5). Not counting falsetto, Fred still recorded a higher note than Rog (F vs E). Yet I'm sure both Freddie and Roger could sing higher and lower than whatever was recorded. So Fred's range is still larger than Roger although the difference is even less than compared to Brian.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Haystacks Calhoun user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1550 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 18:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Neither is Paul. I haven't heard him singing since Rock Aid Armenia (and I'm proud to say I haven't listened to any of the 2005 or 2006 tours), but as far as I know, he's not even close to what he was in the 70s.

Wrong-o.

Paul is singing BETTER than he ever did, live, in the 70's.....

You really should take a listen to TSMGO.

"Not a fan of the ladies, are you Trebek?"

Sean Connery
johnroxx user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 17 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 20:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Neither is Paul. I haven't heard him singing since Rock Aid Armenia (and I'm proud to say I haven't listened to any of the 2005 or 2006 tours), but as far as I know, he's not even close to what he was in the 70s."

In that case, you clearly don't know jack.

;^)

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 25 Apr 06, 00:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't care about range and what brian pulled off in the past, I just know that brian may sings ballads nice but is pretty horrible at hard rockers. In my opinion brian and roger need a singer, they would be amazingly boring singing a whole show by themselves.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 25 Apr 06, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

> Brian May learnt how to sing high when he did his solo stuff

If he expanded it two semitones for each end, that'd be a lot. What he did was getting a stronger voice, but his range was large from the beginning (check his falsetto singing in '39 for instance).

> he's practically got Freddie's range now.

No. Even in the 90s when he used to sing every night, he couldn't get as high or as low as Freddie, although the difference wasn't giant. I haven't listened to Brian singing since Amsterdam (except at the ANATO documentary), and he still can do high notes but not nearly as high as Fred's or Rog's. Never could, and never will.

> Roger always had a higher voice.

He's brilliant in mid range as well as fairly good in low ones. Check his solo stuff for intance. He's not only flying falsettos.

> you sound really intelligent!...brian has freddie range now, that's a good one!

Considering Fred's dead, then, yes.

> brian and roger should put queen to sleep once and for all.

Yes. Although if they ever toured as what they really are (Brian May + Roger Taylor + ...), I'd be the first one attending their gigs. And if Roger plays guitar and shares vocal, even better!

> It would be fine 10 years ago... Maybe 6... But they are not getting younger and...

> I can surely say to you, here, right now, that with the exception of Hitman or Was it All Worth It, Brian covered the range of just about any Queen song when he did stuff like Resurrection.

No way. Think about the early ones: My Fairy King, In The Lap Of The Gods (intro), Bo Rhap, Black Queen, '39 (bridge) ... all of them with Bbs, As, Gs and stuff far beyond Brian's reach. Resurrection is a special case, where he covered three octaves, but of course he couldn't reproduce that on stage (I'm not saying he cheated, just that he took advantage of takes and edits). He did sing some high Ds during BTTL and AW tours (Teo, Lovelife, Why Don't...), but that's not notably higher than what he did in the band; for instance, check their '79 Japanese gig in which Fred had the flu, Brian took over the chorus of Champions and he did hit the C.

> You have to be on *crack* to discount what I said, dude. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of how fast his vocal cords were smacking together and you cannot argue with this because it's *RECORDED EVIDENCE*.

Yes, but Freddie sang higher than the D many times, and he could definitely sing lower than Brian even if there aren't too many recordings proving it.

> Roger too, could equal Freddie's range, in his hey-day at least.

No. Fred could sing lower and they could probably get equally high (or the difference would be one or two semitones tops). Roger's highest recorded note was a C5, Freddies's highest is almost half an octave higher than that (F5). Not counting falsetto, Fred still recorded a higher note than Rog (F vs E). Yet I'm sure both Freddie and Roger could sing higher and lower than whatever was recorded. So Fred's range is still larger than Roger although the difference is even less than compared to Brian.

I wasn't talking about falsetto though, or - what's it called, head voice, or whatever. And, ashamedly, I really was concentrating on the 80's numbers when it was all chest voicey.

Ok look, when I said 'he's practically got Freddie's range now', it's pretty much what I meant. I'm talking about the ability to sing their staple songs that you expect to see at a Queen show, most of which don't really hover out of that range.

Indeed, so what if he only went up to what, D in Resurrection. There aren't many reasons for him to go higher than that, it's small chips - what I'm saying is that at the very least