Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Queen II - Extremely Overrated!

forum rss feed
Author

bohemianrhap84 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 217 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Apr 06, 22:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm sure I'll get a lot of heat for this but does anyone think this album is extremely overrated? I think it is. I'm not saying it's bad because it's not. I just do think it measures up to some of Queen's other works, with the exceptions of The March Of The Black Queen, White Queen, and Seven Seas Of Rhye. Queen 1 is better imo as are A Night At The Opera, A Day At The Races, Sheer Heart Attack, The Game, The Miracle, and Innuendo. It still ranks higher than Jazz, Made In Heaven, News Of The World and A Kind Of Magic. I also prefer The Works and Hot Space to this one as well.

not counting procession as I think it's a good opener.

Father To Son - I think is a very weak track to kick off an album (first lyric of the album). If you want good album starters, try Brighton Rock, Innuendo, Radio Ga Ga, One Vision, Keep Yourself Alive, or Death On Two Legs

White Queen - as I said before this is one of the shining stars of Queen II. Excellent song!

Some Day One Day - Brian's weakest song by far on a Queen album. Want better? Try Sail Away Sweet Sister, Long Away, '39, and All Dead All Dead

The Loser In The End - I kind of like this song actually but don't think it really flows with the other tracks too well.

Ogre Battle - This is a very good rock song. I should have mentioned this one as one of the good points of Queen II.

The Fairy Feller's Master-Stroke - This song I kind of like. An interesting song. Freddie had many of these - Seaside Rendezvous, Bring Back That Leroy Brown, Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon, My Fairy King, The Millionaire Waltz, etc...

Nevermore - The only problem I have with this (not really a problem though) is that it should be longer. Very good song, and a great interlude to the next track.

The March Of The Black Queen - 5 stars. If it wasn't for Bohemian Rhapsody, this song may have been their defining moment of the 70's. Awesome.

Funny How Love Is - Intersting how you can have the best song off the album followed by the worst song. Terrible, way too repetitive. Gets annoying after awhile.

Seven Seas Of Rhye - Nice song. Good release for a single although it didn't do much for them, it wasn't until the next single Killer Queen that they got much airplay. Good song though.

Now before you threaten to kill me let me say again that I like this album. I just think it is too overrated and doesn't measure up to some of their other albums. It has its good moments but overall I don't see it as one of their best. I'm sorry guys. Don't hate me. I love Queen!

How can I go on from day to day? Who can make me strong in every way?
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 00:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

why do you always write the same things, you already mentioned a few times this isn't one of your fav albums!.. I disagree with you, Queen2 has some of the most creative sounds created by queen and father to son is a great opener. The only song I don't like is "loser in the end" the rest is brilliant. everyone tries to compare queen2 and the game or the works, but I say that's impossible. They were two different eras and sounds, both great for their time.

luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 609 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 00:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fantastic album! If they had the Prophet's Song on it, it would be even better.

August R. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 561 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 08:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's just the opposite. This album is very underrated. Only die-hard Queen fans recognise its greatness while the avarage rock-listener don't know anything about this album (save 7seas). And that is really a shame.

One more thing: You evaluated the songs separatelty. In this case, the album as a whole is more than sum of its parts.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 10:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You just opened up a can of worms here. Many people - including myself - consider this to be one of the best Queen albums of all time. Even though you said you only like three of the songs, your "review" indicates that you actually DISLIKE only three of the songs - 'Father To Son', 'Some Day, One Day', and 'Funny How Love Is'.

The album isn't meant to be listened to as a collection of songs, but more of a thematic piece. You can't just say to yourself, "Well, I feel like listening to 'White Queen' right now," but it's something that needs to be listened to from start to finish. It should also be remembered that the band were in an experimental phase after their first album, so anything went, even if it got a little overindulgent at times. But that's what makes the album so fucking good, and it disappoints me that they never continued in a similar vein.

Daveboy35 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 619 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Totally agree lester it's a masterpiece of an album, experimental, OTT, and full of pomp just the thing if you want a cohesive album to gel together.

The only downside on this album is LOSER as it does not fit the mood of the album IMO it feels disjointed to me, im not saying it's a crap song because it isn't it's just a definite filler track to end a cracking side 1.

It will always remain my fave album.

Yes we'll keep on tryin

we'll tread that fine line

oh oh we'll keep on tryin

till the end of time

till the end of time.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 10:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For me it's definitely "Queen II" and then "Innuendo". Outstanding pieces of Art. But that's personal of course.

However, imo it is not overrated, apart from everyones personal taste. It's just more talked about, because it is SO different from everything they did before ("Queen" is far less Prog and far less structured) or after. This is metal-art-prog-rock-classic... :-)

And a lot of people happen to like it a lot. But first and foremost it is unique in their catalogue, no matter if you like or not. So nope, not overrated.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What? Queen II is nearly underrated!

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II is one of Queen's greatest albums. Case closed.

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

So you think that The Game is better than the masterful, ethereal, hard rocking extravaganza that is Queen II? How the heck can you compare Rock It Prime Jive with March Of The Black Queen, dated synthesisers and new wave hogwash against organic instrumentation and meticuluous attention to detail? The Game is an album of mostly mediocre pop songs, no rock, no creativity. The sound is cheap, tinny Mack rubbish against a great layered production for Queen II. Lyrically I'd rather have Nevermore than Don't Try Suicide any day. Innunedo may be better but The Game- you must be joking.

hj
it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 11:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think that Queen II is underrated accually.

Lester Burnham user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5870 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If it was overrated, we would've had countless reissues, two DVD-A releases, and a 30th anniversary package in its honor. And yet... here we are.

The Freddie Bigotes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 13:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Simply....No More Words....

The Best Queen Album ¡¡¡¡¡ For Sure ¡¡¡¡

:D

I like Queen a Lot¡¡¡
star user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 61 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 13:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

sorry mr. Producer!!!!
go and tell this to Brian!!!!!
I´m sure he kick your ass

The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18639 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 13:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Obviously the topic starter has no clue about "active listening" as a way of appreciating the flow of a progressive album. This is the closest to prog Queen ever got. It is a work of sheer genius. Yes, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I guess everyone can't appreciate music that goes beyond the confines that generally define pop-oriented music.

Queen II is extremely underrated. I know of very few people who have heard of anything aside from SSOR. In my opinion, Queen II is not only one of the greatest Queen albums ever, but one of the greatest rock albums ever.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 13:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lester Burnham wrote:

If it was overrated, we would've had countless reissues, two DVD-A releases, and a 30th anniversary package in its honor. And yet... here we are.

LMAO! Don't forget the Fairy Feller's Master Broadway Show!

Queen II is not about the songs - it is about performance and production.

OlehRN user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 4 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 15:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II is conceptual album. And the best!

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

drwinston wrote:

Lester Burnham wrote:

LMAO! Don't forget the Fairy Feller's Master Broadway Show!

Queen II is not about the songs - it is about performance and production.

Hey, The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke would be a great idea for a Broadway performance! Think about it...

-Things Have Changed For Me-
k-m user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 535 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 16:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen II is overrated, but by fans only. When you look at all those Best Rock Album polls, you won't find there QII. Instead there will be ANATO, SHA, sometimes Innuendo. I remember that "Q" magazine rated all Queen's albums once and they gave QII two stars (out of five). Personally, I think that QII is a very interesting record, but a bit over the top;) I appreciate all the ideas put on that lp, all Queen's creativity, but it's just too much for me. Besides, the first side is not so good, is it?

inmsthebest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 532 posts

Posted: 20 Apr 06, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love this album, it's one of their greatest albums, IMHO,much better than ANATO, at least for me.
Freddie's compositions are just incredibly original, complex, experimental, great harmony work and the progressive concept of the album itself just gets me. I have to say I prefer Freddie's black rather that Brian's white side of the album,although I love the white queen and its harmonies and angelical like choirs, the fairy feller's master stroke, TMOTBQ, Nevermore, Ogre battle....WOW. And procession is just the best imaginable opening...just captures the essence of an intro to a long greatly told musicly told story.
And I knoe I didn't write them in the original order and Funny how love is is not her nor Seven seas of Rhye. These two I find under the level of the rest.
Just for me.

God, Amazing powerful musicians""