Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Freddie's voice colour

forum rss feed
Author

Sunshine user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 191 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 03:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Maybe it has been discussed before, I don't know...

I was listening to Innuendo yesterday in the car and this morning a concert bootleg from the US Jazz tour and it was so obvious how Freddie's voice colour changed. On Innuendo he is so breakable but powerfull, it comes from his soul. You can hear his illness when he sings. And does anybody also hears the difference in Freddie's voice colour in All Gods People? I am very sure that vocal was not recorded during the Innuendo sessions in 1990 but earlier during the Barcelona recordings. His voice is much more different than the other songs on Innuendo.

And then the Jazz tour, he has such a macho voice. Like on Live Killers, he says: "You buggers can sing higher than I can" This voice colour is so typical during the 78-79 tours. And then his voice changes to be more sophisticated after Safe Me and Play The Gam for example...I think its quite interesting...

What do you guys think about it...?

You ain't seen nothing 'till your down on the muffin...;)
inu-liger user not visiting Queenzone.com
inu-liger
Deity: 13057 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've noticed it too.
Really changed a lot over the years.

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 12:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really love the change in Freddie's voice. Freddie's voice in the 90's is just superb.

RainMustFall2 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 129 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, near the end, he had to stop smoking and drinking so much, so you can notice a subtle change in his voice from the Miracle to Innuendo, when his voice sounds a bit more like the earlier works.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, I think we've all noticed the change, but I personally prefer his nearly girly voice of the early 70's.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I absolutly LOVE Freddie's voice in the "Fairy Fellers Master Stroke"

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was electric7 wrote:

Oh, don't we all!? ;)

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

ibanez122 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 302 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 15:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Huge change in a span of 10 years. His best voices were Id say, Queen II - and during the News Of The World tour - also add in the Crazy Tour to that as well.

To me, it seems that his voice never fully recovered after the Live Killers tour. He got the majority of his range back from late 79 untill about 81 before the lower powerful voice kicked in and lost his higher range completely.

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 16:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

it was electric7 wrote:

Oh, don't we all!? ;)

Beautiful vocals! When you hear the part that goes "peeks under lady's gown" without the background singing, he sounds just like a girl! :-P

-Things Have Changed For Me-
turini user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 199 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 16:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i hate his voice during magic tour

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 16:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

colour changing voices???

Someone's off their meds....

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 16:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I find this funny:

I used to think there was a girl in Queen becuase I saw TSMGO video and saw Roger from IWTBF and thought it was an acual girl and then I heard the" Chippin around " part in Under Pressure and I was convinced that Queen had a lady friend or something who would come into the studio and hit the high notes for Freddie. Thats before I knew how amazing Freddie's voice was.

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know its awful to say but i dont like Freddie's voice at all on innuendo.Its so studio protected and echo-ie.For obvious reasons of course.I miss Freddie more and more every day but his voice during the late 80's into early 90's should never be compared to 1978-82 period where he had mastered not only his range but he learned the art of singing.

john pistlli
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 21:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ibanez122 wrote:

To me, it seems that his voice never fully recovered after the Live Killers tour. He got the majority of his range back from late 79 untill about 81 before the lower powerful voice kicked in and lost his higher range completely.

Disagree with this. Freddie's voice is amazing at Milton Keys in 1982. Also, the high part of Under Pressure was just as high as anything he'd done up to that point.

The first few concert dates of the Magic Tour, he sounds just like he did at Milton Keyes in '82.

Some the highest notes Freddie ever hit was on Innuendo...while in the advanced stages of AIDS.

Freddie's voice was a little different later on(I say little, because I can name 25 singers right now whose voices changed more in 10 years than Fred's), but I think more of it has to do with age than any other factor.

I know whenever we talk about this here, we get everything from smoking, drugs, AIDS, a well hung boyfriend...etc..etc... being the things that, as some of you put it "wrecked Freddie voice".

I wish I had a **wrecked voice** like Fred's on Who Want's to Live Forever, and The Show Must go On.

But anayway...I think getting older has more to do with vocal change then anything.

Does Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Sting, Rod Stewart...etc..etc.. sound like they did 20 years ago?

Not at all...

So why does everyone think Freddie sounds so much different from 1983-1991?

I think many of you would be very suprised at just what a kick ass rendition of say, "Champions" that Freddie could have pulled off in 1990/91.

His voice could have world toured in 1988, 1990, etc... his body could not have.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
ibanez122 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 302 posts

Posted: 21 Apr 06, 21:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Scott_Mercury wrote:

ibanez122 wrote:

Disagree with this. Freddie's voice is amazing at Milton Keys in 1982. Also, the high part of Under Pressure was just as high as anything he'd done up to that point.

The first few concert dates of the Magic Tour, he sounds just like he did at Milton Keyes in '82.

Some the highest notes Freddie ever hit was on Innuendo...while in the advanced stages of AIDS.

Freddie's voice was different, but I think more of it has to do with age than any other factor.

I know whenever we talk about this here, we get everything from smoking, drugs, AIDS, a well hung boyfriend...etc..etc... being the things that, as some of you put it "wrecked Freddie voice".

I wish I had a **wrecked voice** like Fred's on Who Want's to Live Forever, and The Show Must go On.

But anayway...I think getting older has more to do with vocal change then anything.

Does Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Elton John, Sting, Rod Stewart...etc..etc.. sound like they did 20 years ago?

Not at all...

So why does everyone thing Freddie sounds so much different from 1983-1991?

I think many of you would be very suprised at just what a kick ass rendition of say, "Champions" that Freddie could have pulled off in 1990/91.

His voice could have world toured in 1988, 1990, etc... his body could not have.

Agreed. I know I left out few points..I know he had an killer voice at MK. By then he started getting that lower tone in his voice, but yet he still had the range as he did the previous 3 years. I know I should have included Innuendo un my post - His voice there is similar to id say his voice on Jazz (this is my opinion atleast)

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 05:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I disagree with all you wacko's (except for scott mercury) Freddies voice was ruined by smoking and aids!...give me a break people!...freddie voice was great during innnuendo, Don't try so hard and the show must go on. anyone who says his voice was shot during the eighties doesn't know shit, MK, we will rock you and live aid were the strongest his voice ever sounded.

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mike i think you are a fucking asshole,Can you ever be nice?

john pistlli
rwon041 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 66 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 00:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hahahaha I like this forum, it actually debates Fred's voice rather than what colour socks he had or whether he could use chopsticks.

At MK his voice is pretty good but it's a different timbre to the 70's, it's deeper. Personally I feel he was at his best during the period 74 - 77. At the Houston 1/12/77 concert his voice is in excellent condition and sounds alot like the studio on songs such as Good Old Fashioned Loverboy. Yeah I don't really fancy his singing that much on the magic tour, it's very deep and definitely a baritone voice with not a hint of even being close to a tenor.

On Live Killers during Love of My Life I think the note he sings when he sings the 'you' in "I still love you....." is a brilliant note, crystal clear and in a different key to the album but somehow it fits perfectly.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 01:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know anything past 1977 is crap, how played out are you people!..."stateside" you obviously don't think freddie had a great voice during the barcelona album or the great pretender/In my defence?....shows how little you know, but most of you are stuck in 1975.

Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like his 80's voice a lot (not more than his crystal clear early voice, but certainly not less), because what it - perhaps - lacked in chest voice octave-range (his falsetto was still amazing) it makes up for in power. Just listen to “ITLOTG... revisited” on LAW. The part where he goes from " ... but I gotta chance it - So FUNNY..." he just nails it ! Hits you like a hammer. Amazing.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)