Forums > Personal > any suggestions? *Queen books*

forum rss feed
Author

bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 02:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is a question, and kind of a test. It seems no matter what I ask, or respond in threads, nobody ever acknowledges my existance. Does anyone on this site know I'm here?
Anyways-
What are some good biographies of Queen and/or Freddie?
I know Peter Freestone wrote one, as did Jim Hutton, and a handful of authors whose names escape me. What have you guys read that you really enjoyed?

Thanks

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm afraid I haven't read any biographies, but Jim Hutton's has frequently been brought up in conversation, so it seems to be a popular one.

Either way, I'm primarily posting to acknowledge your existence and to express my appreciation for such a valid, earnest question. Sorry I couldn't actually be of any help.

Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddieistheloveofmylife_89 wrote:

This is a question, and kind of a test. It seems no matter what I ask, or respond in threads, nobody ever acknowledges my existance. Does anyone on this site know I'm here?

Huh? What? Did anyone here that? I thought I heard a voice... nah. Must've been mistaken...

Kidding. ;-)

freddieistheloveofmylife_89 wrote:

Anyways-
What are some good biographies of Queen and/or Freddie?
I know Peter Freestone wrote one, as did Jim Hutton, and a handful of authors whose names escape me. What have you guys read that you really enjoyed?

Thanks

I have Mercury and Me by Jim Hutton. I read it cover to cover in one sitting and practically sobbed through the ending chapter. Not because the writing was so grand - because, trust me, it wasn't - but because of the obvious.

For Christmas this year, I received Peter's book but I've yet to read it. Can't say why, I guess after reading Jim's I need time to regroup. I want to remember Freddie as he was in Live Aid. IMO, Jim's book made Freddie come off as weak and needy.

I wish there was a book by the guys - Brian, Roger and John. Is there? Or a compilation of letters or notes Freddie actually wrote himself. I'd like to see them in context, you know? Like if Mary were to write a book - which I can't imagine ever happening - I'd love it if she included some notes from him to her. Even if just birthday cards so we could see whether the cards he chose were humorous or sentimental. I think that kind of thing shows more about Freddie than anything those who knew him could tell.

As for Queen books, I've never read any. How do you pick one? How do you know which is most accurate?

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 12:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Musicman wrote:

I'm afraid I haven't read any biographies, but Jim Hutton's has frequently been brought up in conversation, so it seems to be a popular one.

Either way, I'm primarily posting to acknowledge your existence and to express my appreciation for such a valid, earnest question. Sorry I couldn't actually be of any help.

Thank you Musicman. :)

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...