Forums > Queen - General Discussion > When did Freddie get Aids?

forum rss feed
Author

FreMe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2329 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 19:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this has been a topic many times before... i´d like to share my theory, and here yours though...

I think he got aids, just before the magic tour. Its known as their best tour ever, and the more personal agony Freddie was in the better he performed... that must have had an effect on the bad as well.
knowing that you have aids, must be quite painfull by the way.
some smart heads also says, that they think he had it in 5 years or so, and that fits quite well with the magic tour.

What do you think?

O_o
blerp user not visiting Queenzone.com
blerp
Deity: 2438 posts

Posted: 22 Apr 06, 20:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, it's '86, I believe...Towards the end of that year. In a magazine I have, it says he became infected in '87, around Easter as well...But on here people have said otherwise.

I'm so pissed I could spit.
Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 00:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought it was around '83.

-Things Have Changed For Me-
bohemian_queer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 362 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought the general opinion was that he got infected in the mid to late 70's, and got tested in 85 or 86. Oh crap, I'm confused now. lol. Guess it doesn't really matter though does it?

That time will come, one day you'll see, when we can all be friends...
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 00:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Big difference between Aids and Hiv.

Jim Hutton has HIV, but it has not advanced to Aids...

This is why his health is no different in 2006, then it was in 1991 (last I am told anyway)

Anyway, Freddie's HIV infection started showing full blown AIDS symptoms around Easter of 1987.

Peter Freestone claims it was at this time Freddie got tested, and the first test came back negative, then tested again for accuracy, and it was positive...as in HIV positive.

Mary Austin says that Freddie knew in 1984 that he was HIV positive.

Peter Freestone says it was 1987.

Brian and Roger says that Freddie made references during the whole magic tour whenever they would have a disagreement that "let's not argue, there will be a time in the future when there won't be a Queen.... or, I won't be around forever to do this"...and things to that nature.

My personal opinion, and this is based 100% on body language and overall appearance...

I feel that Freddie DID NOT know he was HIV positive the day of Live Aid in 1985.

But I feel he DID KNOW during the magic tour that he was HIV positive....

Even if he didn't "know" 100%...I think he knew if you catch what I am saying.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 607 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 01:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard in some interview with one of the people close to Freddie, that he was very obsessed and scared of contracting HIV and that he would get tested quite often. I don't think he waited that long, mid eighties to take a test, I am sure he was already being checked out much earlier.

I wouldn't be surprised if he knew that there was something wrong with him in 1983. Queen took a year off from touring that year. There were issues within the band, but who knows what was really going on. Perhaps Freddie needed some time to think things through. Then on The Works album, all pictures of him, look very serious as if there was something on his mind.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 02:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"But I feel he DID KNOW during the magic tour that he was HIV positive.... Even if he didn't "know" 100%..."

Just a question: in Jim's book it says that Freddie cheated on him before the Time performance ... which means that if he already guessed (or knew) he had Hiv or Aids, why would he jeopardize other people's life? (assuming that Freddie practized unsave sex) ...

I think he probably "thought" something was not right, but brushed it off in 1986 ... but perhaps because of his own fears he let himself be tested in 1987 ... Anyway before the magic tour, because of insurance reasons, all band members had to undergo a medical test (as procedure). I am not sure if such an insurance requires an HIV test (I gues not) ...

In Jim's book it says that some tissue was removed from his shoulder and they found out Freddie had Hiv(Aids) ... In my opinion docters dont just test that as a routine thing ...

Since having an Aids test needs permission from the person himself. So in my assumption, Freddie did contact his GP (Gordon Atkinson) and requested to be tested (which was at the time Jim was in Ireland before or just after Easter 1987)

Stefan

PS It just does not add up that Freddie would infect people (assuming he had unprotected sex)in 1986 and by that time Jim had not been tested (that was much later). In 1987 they also started to practice save sex (after it was known he had HIV/Aids)

Fiennessa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 10 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 04:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How to hell could Freddie take his tests in the beginning of 80ties if by that time there was nothing like AIDS/HIV known!!
The first case, the first person with full AIDS appeared in 1980 in LA and then in NYC. AIDS was named somewhere in 1983, but still there no-one knew what causes this illness. HIV was discovered as virus in 1986. So this is absolutely impossible to do the tests towards HIV antibodies before this time!

Anyway Freddie could get HIV in 70ties in America. I'm pretty sure even he couldn't tell when and from whom he got it.
Also he could suspect he is infected before taking tests in 1987. What is a great deal in it? His friends and ex-lovers died or suffered from it, so his suspitions where quite obvious.

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

cor... i didnt even know, he infected other peaople (though i was slightly suspicious)... hmm it seems odd though... AFTER having infected Jim, they started to use a condom... i dont know that much about Aids, but when the dammage is doe, does it make a difference if you use protection or not?

O_o
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 05:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I always had the impression he first got it around '85.

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 607 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 05:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreMe to answer your Q. It does make a difference to use a condom even if both people are infected, due to HIV strain variety and high mutation rate. Two people could be exchanging different virus classes and mutations making virus that much more aggressive. I can only speculate that Freedie could have had sex with multiple HIV positive individuals making his virus that much more aggressive.

sandro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 54 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 05:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He fisrt got ADIS in the 90-91. if you do not know the difference between HIV/ADIS , then ADIS is the Virus that comes from HIV and you begin to development Cancer and the immune system can´t hold together anymore and so on, and it´s happends over a years periode, so Freddie lives about 4-5 years with HIV, which is the average without medication ( Which didn´t exicst in the late 80 and early 90)

none
inmsthebest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 532 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 06:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fiennessa wrote:

How to hell could Freddie take his tests in the beginning of 80ties if by that time there was nothing like AIDS/HIV known!!
The first case, the first person with full AIDS appeared in 1980 in LA and then in NYC. AIDS was named somewhere in 1983, but still there no-one knew what causes this illness. HIV was discovered as virus in 1986. So this is absolutely impossible to do the tests towards HIV antibodies before this time!

Anyway Freddie could get HIV in 70ties in America. I'm pretty sure even he couldn't tell when and from whom he got it.
Also he could suspect he is infected before taking tests in 1987. What is a great deal in it? His friends and ex-lovers died or suffered from it, so his suspitions where quite obvious.

The first case I believe was around 1978?
Doctors went absolutely shocked and didn't really know what the hell was that.
I remember it from a tv documentary.

God, Amazing powerful musicians""
Mayboy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6181 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 07:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In a documentary Peter said he was told in April of 1987. I know that doesnt really explain some of the things he said on the Magic Tour but anyway....

"I'm going up Buchanan Street

With a box of fireworks

And two bottles of

Tizer"

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 07:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What? I thought Freddie got infected around '93...?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

boca user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 399 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 09:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

To answer on question who infected him, I heard they they thought it was some tattoed guy, probably in New York, and it could be around '83. If somebody know when Freddie went to New York, that also might help, thought he probably went a couple of times. Person with Aids can't live more then 10 years, it's the highest time by now. Person with HIV can live long, how far, we don't know now. There are some medicals they must take. Good examples are Magic Johnson and Jim Hutton

I think I'm banana tree...

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 11:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

luthorn wrote:

FreMe to answer your Q. It does make a difference to use a condom even if both people are infected, due to HIV strain variety and high mutation rate. Two people could be exchanging different virus classes and mutations making virus that much more aggressive. I can only speculate that Freedie could have had sex with multiple HIV positive individuals making his virus that much more aggressive.

O_o

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

What? I thought Freddie got infected around '93...?

Sweetepie, he died in 91...

O_o
Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 12:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreMe wrote:

luthorn wrote:

Whoa, I had no idea it made a difference... Thanks for sharing, that was really interesting!

-Things Have Changed For Me-
KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 23 Apr 06, 13:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

freddie tested just after LIVE AID and that test came back negative
and it`s true, freddie was obsessed with the illness, but i agree with other user here in the forum, who said freddie was not HIV positive during LIVE AID
i think the HIV test was positive in 1987, but freddie had a pre-feeling during the magic tour, he knew that something was wrong with his health
in adittion, you can note when freddie knew he was ill, just looking to his face and his smile
i mean, until the great pretender, you an see a happy freddie, he smile, he is very happy
after that, (since barcelona for example)freddie was a little bit sad
i dont know, but freddie wasnt the same person after the great pretender...you can look to his face and you can ralize that he was sad

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"