Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Mercury and Me Jim Hutton

forum rss feed
Author

Sicmot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 373 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 07:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Whats the difference between first and second edition? Im buying the first edition.. should I avoid it and get the second edition?

God created man from dust, man replied with sin and lust..
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Was that s**t re-issued?! Oh my God...

Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 24 Apr 06, 12:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hear the editor did a "crappy" job.

inmsthebest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 532 posts

Posted: 25 Apr 06, 17:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Was that s**t re-issued?! Oh my God...

Serry, why did you say it's a shit?
I haven't read that yet.
Is it so bad?
Thanks, I don't want to waste my money if it's a bad book, not worth the price.

God, Amazing powerful musicians""

Posted: 26 Apr 06, 11:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you want to know more about about very private life of Freddie or just interesting in knowing more about gay's relationships - then that's a good book.

Posted: 26 Apr 06, 13:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

If you want to know more about about very private life of Freddie or just interesting in knowing more about gay's relationships - then that's a good book.

I dont give a shit if it matters to you only in those aspects.. to me it's hindsight to one reality false or not, there's always the human touch and perception by Jim's in this case to illuminate how he felt things.. apart what U might think of him as human being or his motives for doing it.. To me the book represents one scoop to Freddies life, and if U discust the gay ways to reproduce it, its your choise, for me it's the final chapter for what I have pictured of Freddie, the personal way. fill in the emotional/momential gaps other publications/stuff hasnt been able to fullfill.

Posted: 26 Apr 06, 13:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If Freddie wanted to show his life in such way - he could do it by himself... But he didn't, it's interesting to know why? Oh yes, you probably don't give shit about it...

Posted: 26 Apr 06, 15:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

If Freddie wanted to show his life in such way - he could do it by himself... But he didn't, it's interesting to know why? Oh yes, you probably don't give shit about it...

Yes, I dont in that sence, cos like Freddie said more than once "nothing really matters". I dont think he himself gave a damm whether his mundane life is open and wide, cos he's dead and all that was left behind him is now irrelevant. When youre dead you dont think of your earthly legacy. U live for quite something else.

For most of you this world is absolute, and the events are definitives for good or bad.

DrCari user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 48 posts

Posted: 26 Apr 06, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found Hutton's book to be a self serving piece of crap writing. Hutton isn't exactly what I would call literate.

Instead I recommend:

Peter Freestone's book about his years as Queen's and later Freddie's personal assistant is a great read.

Freestone tells great stories with class and preserves Freddie's dignity while still showing the reader the struggle Freddie endured toward the end of his illness.

.....UNLIKE Hutton who artlessly describes every disgusting detail of Freddie's sickroom/deathbed moments of incontinence. Hutton effectively robs Freddie of any dignity and respect by writing all those embarrassing physical things that WE OURSELVES would never want broadcast if we were ill and dying.

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Then, what book should you recommend about Freddie?.
No, I'm not interested in gay relationships, just the life of the man and creative processes within the band.

Posted: 29 Apr 06, 06:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DrCari wrote:

I found Hutton's book to be a self serving piece of crap writing. Hutton isn't exactly what I would call literate.

Instead I recommend:

Peter Freestone's book about his years as Queen's and later Freddie's personal assistant is a great read.

Freestone tells great stories with class and preserves Freddie's dignity while still showing the reader the struggle Freddie endured toward the end of his illness.

.....UNLIKE Hutton who artlessly describes every disgusting detail of Freddie's sickroom/deathbed moments of incontinence. Hutton effectively robs Freddie of any dignity and respect by writing all those embarrassing physical things that WE OURSELVES would never want broadcast if we were ill and dying.

But I didn't like Phoebe's book at all...:(
I found it dull and sometimes boring, and some of the things he said...hmmm, I don't know, to me it looked like a half truth. Though I quite enjoyed the story with Montserrat.

Bambi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 00:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I read freestones book and agree it was written in a respective manner,freddie was human. also a good read is Queen the early years by mark Hodkinson, It starts at the beginning for each band member, a short bio how they got together
ect, no trash or ugly stories just four guys who pursued a dream.

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 02:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DrCari wrote:

Instead I recommend:

Yeah-

I read some chapters from his book, and let me tell you, it was so damn tear jerking, man, that man was in PAIN before he died...AIDS is no joke!!!!! It literally tore his system down!!!

His lover did get VERY detailed!!!!!

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 04:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've read Peter Freestone's book, and whilst it does get a bit repetitive at times ("We were not amused."), it portrays Freddie in a positive light and shows respect for his life and achievements.

However, I haven't read Jim Hutton's book but have heard that it does into intimate details about his sexuality.....which isn't something that interests me but both books draw from their personal experiences of time spent with Freddie, so I shouldn't expect anything else?

ANAGRAMER user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 675 posts

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 05:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Surprised there's a demand for reprint. Hutton's book is a catalogue of half-truths that don't stand-up to scrutiny - eg - he was well-aware of David Bowie but claimed not to recognise 'Freddie-thingy' in 1984 - I would suggest that that is damn near impossible - ANYBODY who listened to music at that time (he was a barber afterall - I'm sure the radio was never off!) MUST have been aware of who's who.

The book described in lavish detail what gifts were exchanged, lavish dinners and petty squabbles - not worth your money. Do we really need to know about the coffee tables and flower arrangements!!

An example: 'Freddie gave me this, I gave that to Freddie but couldn't afford what I really wanted to give him, but he thought that what I gave him was lovely.
I made him a coffee table.
He loves me more than Mary.
We went to Ibiza, I went 1st class. Mary went in cargo - she asked for some of my water - what a cheek!!
I wore the same shirt as Freddie. I'm his favourite!!'

Mary Austin is criticised severely for her attitude towards Freddie's wealth, it is noteworthy that she NEVER produces a tome such as this and in her very occasional interviews is honest, articulate and discreet.
Do yourselves a favour and miss this book - I'm embarassed to admit that I read it - complete waste of a day!
Anybody want my copy or shall I just use it for toilet paper?

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 08:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Surprised there's a demand for reprint. Hutton's book is a catalogue of half-truths that don't stand-up to scrutiny - eg - he was well-aware of David Bowie but claimed not to recognise 'Freddie-thingy' in 1984 - I would suggest that that is damn near impossible - ANYBODY who listened to music at that time (he was a barber afterall - I'm sure the radio was never off!) MUST have been aware of who's who.

The book described in lavish detail what gifts were exchanged, lavish dinners and petty squabbles - not worth your money. Do we really need to know about the coffee tables and flower arrangements!!

An example: 'Freddie gave me this, I gave that to Freddie but couldn't afford what I really wanted to give him, but he thought that what I gave him was lovely.
We went to Ibiza, I went 1st class. Mary went in cargo - she asked for some of my water - what a cheek!!

Mary Austin is criticised severely for her attitude towards Freddie's wealth, it is noteworthy that she NEVER produces a tome such as this and in her very occasional interviews is honest, articulate and discreet.
Do yourselves a favour and miss this book - I'm embarassed to admit that I read it - complete waste of a day!

Please could U send it to me if I pay the postage?

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sicmot wrote:

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Please could U send it to me if I pay the postage? If so, send me mail for address @ Alexander1976@hotmail.com

Posted: 30 Apr 06, 14:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks everyone for your comments, I think I won't get Hutton's book, I am not really interested in those certain disgusting details.

Sicmot wrote:

Sicmot wrote:

ANAGRAMER wrote:

Please could U send it to me if I pay the postage? If so, send me mail for address @ Alexander1976@hotmail.com

LOL, are you serious?

Posted: 01 May 06, 14:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes I most certainly am

KillerQueen1429 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 140 posts

Posted: 01 May 06, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i enjoyed the book and was brought to tears at the end , i thought it was a great way to show us the personal side of Freddie that not many ppl knew or seen.... and as for the details of his illness well i think Jim was makin aware the fact how brave he was to the end and exactly how devasting this disease really is.

I Love Queen!!!