Forums > Queen + Adam Lambert > Unbiased opinion

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 06, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Obviously not mine, but a girl I have been dating named Amber has no Queen background to speak of. I showed her some Q + PR, namely the ROTC DVD the other night, and followed it up with the We Will Rock You, Montreal '81 dvd. She has no connection or influence in the matter. Her verdict was that she liked it all immensely, but that she thought Queen sounded better with Paul Rodgers singing lead.

Okay, I disagree wholeheartedley with her opinion, but I found it interesting that her neutral, untainted view of the two singers, led her to liking Paul more than Freddie.

It just adds another positive point in favor of the idea that PR is a great choice as a follow up singer.



The Stealer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 06, 13:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Heavy vocal-masculine-sex appeal--at least for us gals- LOL ;-)

Deacons 1st Choice user not visiting Queenzone.com
Deacons 1st Choice
Bohemian: 603 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 06, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Are you talking about Freddie or Paul here..?!!

LOL!! :)

The Stealer user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 06, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Deacons 1st Choice wrote:

Are you talking about Freddie or Paul here..?!!

LOL!! :)


that would be paul

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 06, 18:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Obviously not mine, but a girl I have been dating named Amber has no Queen background to speak of. I showed her some Q + PR, namely the ROTC DVD the other night, and followed it up with the We Will Rock You, Montreal '81 dvd. She has no connection or influence in the matter. Her verdict was that she liked it all immensely, but that she thought Queen sounded better with Paul Rodgers singing lead.

Okay, I disagree wholeheartedley with her opinion, but I found it interesting that her neutral, untainted view of the two singers, led her to liking Paul more than Freddie.

It just adds another positive point in favor of the idea that PR is a great choice as a follow up singer.



Montreal 81 DVD?

C´mon, you should do better that that!
Don´t you have wembley 86?

Visualy, Montreal sucks big time compared with "Return of the Champions".

Take care

roxxanne61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Apr 06, 22:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Compliance Queen wrote:

Heavy vocal-masculine-sex appeal--at least for us gals- LOL ;-)


Gotta agree with you on that one
I loved Freddie dearly, but never thought of him in the way one thinks of Paul

Paul Rodgers is a very very very SEXY man
with an incredible voice
HURRY UP MAY 20th

Sharon G. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 462 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 13:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Obviously not mine, but a girl I have been dating named Amber has no Queen background to speak of. I showed her some Q + PR, namely the ROTC DVD the other night, and followed it up with the We Will Rock You, Montreal '81 dvd. She has no connection or influence in the matter. Her verdict was that she liked it all immensely, but that she thought Queen sounded better with Paul Rodgers singing lead.

Okay, I disagree wholeheartedley with her opinion, but I found it interesting that her neutral, untainted view of the two singers, led her to liking Paul more than Freddie.







Paul better than Freddie? Never,, and thats a long time.

It just adds another positive point in favor of the idea that PR is a great choice as a follow up singer.



AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 13:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wembley '86?????

Easily the worst Queen official release of all time! I cannot believe they would ever release that concert over the endless better shows out there. Freddie's voice was worn, the band sounded bored and the edge seems missing in this show. I can still hear Spike Edney's keyboards playing the casterated version of 'Now I'm Here' on that show. The only TRULY memorable parts of the show were the guitar solo and the early Queen medley shortly after the show's start.

Anyone who thinks Wembley '86 is better than Montreal '81 needs to get their hearing checked.

Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

AmeriQueen wrote:

Wembley '86?????

Easily the worst Queen official release of all time! I cannot believe they would ever release that concert over the endless better shows out there. Freddie's voice was worn, the band sounded bored and the edge seems missing in this show. I can still hear Spike Edney's keyboards playing the casterated version of 'Now I'm Here' on that show. The only TRULY memorable parts of the show were the guitar solo and the early Queen medley shortly after the show's start.

Anyone who thinks Wembley '86 is better than Montreal '81 needs to get their hearing checked.


Agreed.


The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
Haystacks Calhoun II user not visiting Queenzone.com
Haystacks Calhoun II
Bohemian: 930 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 14:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyway, going off of sound and sound alone, the ROTC is far superior to all other live Queen releases....

Why? You have an extra guitarist, and 3 more singers.....


The Golden Gate Bridge should have a long bungee cord for people who aren’t quite ready to commit suicide but want to get in a little practice.
zone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 14:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

R.O.T.C.is much more polished where I find the stuff with Freddie is much more raw.W.W.R.Y.DVD is not one of their better ones .Also R.O.T.C.has more musicians giving it a fuller sound ,anyway to each their own.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Apr 06, 18:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This "girlfriend" needs to be shown Milton Keyes...

I think Live at the Bowl in '82 blows Montreal '81 and Wembley '86 out of the water.

Just wait my friends...

If Houston '77 or Hammy '79 is ever put a commercial release dvd, and polished up like the others... its going to blow everyones head off.

And as much as I like Paul, and I'm glad they are doing something again... it won't matter if they bring 22 musicians on stage, the sound won't be better than these classic late 70's Queen shows.

Needless to say... if Freddie were still here, then more than likely John would still be in the band....and they would tour every few years as Queen ...as in the **real** Queen.

And using today's technology, they would sound phenominal!


Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 May 06, 07:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not sure I agree totally with the 81 vs 86 Wembley argument, and Milton Keynes is very interesting compared to Wembley.

1982 Milton Keynes you had a worn out band that were fed up with touring and frankly wanted a long break, that was a moment that they came the closest to splitting up IMO, and didn't get their act together until after Live Aid.

Somehow in Milton Keynes they did find the energy to pull of a great show I was there and it was fantastic (although I'd say the sound on the day was not great)

Wembley comes along and you've got the band on a high, and Freddie already thinking about not touring again EVER! prior to his health issues, so he went out and gave it his all with the back of his mind thinking that this could be the last time in front of a big Wembley crowd (at least for a long time) Rumour has it that he nearly backed out of the tour days before and had to be persuaded that he should continue, but at the time the word on the street was this was it, (remember his comments about splitting up)

All over the place the press were saying this was Queens swansong.

I have a lot of fondness for 86, the sound was the best I'd ever heard at a concert, and stayed that way for many years. And I think whether or not they would have done the big tours again was very much open for debate, neither Freddie nor john wanted to continue to be away so much. So all in all my vote goes to Wembley as the best, but I am not sure what I'd think just watching the DVD's without having been there.


"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 May 06, 18:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

roxxanne61 wrote:

Compliance Queen wrote:

Heavy vocal-masculine-sex appeal--at least for us gals- LOL ;-)


Gotta agree with you on that one
I loved Freddie dearly, but never thought of him in the way one thinks of Paul

Paul Rodgers is a very very very SEXY man
with an incredible voice
HURRY UP MAY 20th


Paul is extremely sexy omg....

Cheers


"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
roxxanne61 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 143 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 05 May 06, 22:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga wrote:

roxxanne61 wrote:

Compliance Queen wrote:

Heavy vocal-masculine-sex appeal--at least for us gals- LOL ;-)


Gotta agree with you on that one
I loved Freddie dearly, but never thought of him in the way one thinks of Paul

Paul Rodgers is a very very very SEXY man
with an incredible voice
HURRY UP MAY 20th


Paul is extremely sexy omg....

Cheers

yup he is
my countdown for his solo show is now 15 days and is the day before my birthday
cannot wait
:)