forum rss feed
Author

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 03 May 06, 03:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why didn't he perform except sing in the crowd during 'We Are The Champions' at Freddie's Tribute Concert?

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 03 May 06, 07:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Scorpions were invited as a "reserve" in case another band would not perform, more specificly: in case Guns N' Roses would not perform.

Although it was downplayed and hushed up later, Slash himself said in an interview at the time that there were serious doubts that the safety of the band could be guaranteed. Many Queen fans were deeply offended and outraged about the fact that homophobe Axl Rose was invited to the Freddie tribute and apparently the promoter was afraid that the performance could cause a riot amongst the audience. According to Slash it was a last minute decision that the band performed, after all.

In a later interview with MTV to promote the "5 live" mini album Brian defended the controversial decision to invite Axl saying that the concert had more credibility when the "macho spectrum" of the Rock industry was involved.

I do not want any google ads here.

Jan78 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 264 posts

Posted: 03 May 06, 08:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Interesting. So it was again about Axl and "One in a million"? I doubt he's really homophobic, because he keeps telling people how much he admires Elton John and his music. And didn't he also say something like "They mean everything to me" about Queen?

Jan

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 03 May 06, 10:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He's not homophobic, he's just pro-hetero. Just like many of us.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 03 May 06, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jan78 wrote:

Interesting. So it was again about Axl and "One in a million"? I doubt he's really homophobic, because he keeps telling people how much he admires Elton John and his music. And didn't he also say something like "They mean everything to me" about Queen?

Jan

The Queen comment was on a script... which Axl read... haha.

Liking Queen's music doesn't mean you have to like gays.

zone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts

Posted: 03 May 06, 18:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does that mean that Klaus would have sang Bohemian Rhapsody and We Will Rock You?

Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 05 May 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well Klaus does like 'Love Of My Life' a lot... and I think left a message to Freddie at Freddie's funeral... I think he did.

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 01:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Didn't Elton play with Guns N' Roses before, or am I thinking of something else?

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Regor user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 364 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 07:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the tribute was their first performance together, but there was another one at some award ceremony I seem to remember.

By the way, I am glad the scorps did'nt perform. For me they are an embarassing relic of the past. G'n'R were the best band of the day IMO.

Guten Tag und Guten Abend !!! We had a great time in Cologne. Drinking beer in the sunshine beside the Mighty Rhein brought back many memories for me..... (Brian May, 2004)
Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Regarding the controversy of Guns and Roses performing-Roger Taylor strongly defended Axl and his quote, when asked about the people protesting G n R, was something along the lines of, "they are playing and to the people who don't like it, I have two words for them". We can safely assume the words started with F and Y, don't you think? BTW, I actually spoke to Klaus once and asked him about being at the tribute concert, he said they were there because they became friendly with the band while they were all in South America together and they he greatly admired Freddies singing ability. Klaus has always had a very good voice also, but man is he short!

"The things you have to do for money..."
Jake
Winter Land Man

Posted: 05 May 06, 11:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Haha, Klaus is only like 5'5" I think.

zone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts

Posted: 05 May 06, 13:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote: Haha, Klaus is only like 5'5" I think.

Great pipes!