Forums > Queen - General Discussion > X-Mas Box Set

forum rss feed
Author

Rotwang user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 296 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 06, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Will this be released in the U.S.? Any chance of rare stuff?

"You Can Be Anything You Want To Be"
Micrówave user not visiting Queenzone.com
Delilah, on Medium Power
Micrówave
Deity: 7037 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You really think this is coming out Xmas 2006? Yeah, right!

Thanks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 615 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Depends on your definition of "rare".

If you don't have the Japanese edit of teo Torriatte, the US edit's of It's Late & Liar, the 12 mix on Pian/Pleasure, then yes, it's full of rare stuff.

But there will be nothing unreleased.

ps Microwarve - the words "box set" apply to anything released in a box, not JUST an anthology of Queen's unreleased material.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 17:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh man, so you mean I've been getting my hopes up for nothing?

When oh when will I get the chance to obtain those B-Sides? That's all I need to complete my collection.

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 20:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's the use of this box really? A lot of people already have the vinyl....Why don't they release a cool set with really rare stuff. I don't want a greatest hits extended version...tossers

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 20:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Geeze. As far as I am concerned anything not available in the stores is considered rare. Especially if it hasn't been in stores for decades AND especially if they never were really all that easily available outside of their single releases...Radio_What's_New in some ways I can see your view but I think it will be nothing short of phenomenal for this group to have this type of compilation of all of this in one place. You must be old having everything! Lol!

Daburcor? user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daburcor?
Deity: 9478 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hell, I'm stoked about a singles box. It'll be nice to have all of that stuff in good quality and on CD.

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Jakobe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 197 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 21:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dan Corson wrote:

Hell, I'm stoked about a singles box. It'll be nice to have all of that stuff in good quality and on CD.

I agree.

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 08 May 06, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Apparently it won't be so much the singles in the form of each unto their own disc as it will be the single edits, b-sides, mixes, all released stuff but rare "crazy" stuff amongst ten discs. Otherwise it would be like fifty discs.

Do anyone else even think that Hollywood Records are going to bother even releasing this in the U.S. of A. and if so does anyone really think they will release it in its original full form that the rest of the world will get it in? Say they better!

By the way apparently it will be called "The Full Works". Even though there was already a box set released called "The Complete Works". Still it is a really cool title and I think that it will "work" (Get it? I am so clever! No pun intended of course!) just the same!

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 00:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like Queen. Tease us with a release of old Queen, but not the rare stuff long ago promised to us. It's another commercial exploit, offering likely remastered versions of b-sides all of us already have.

Yes it is a selfish, commercial exploit designed to milk us.

Yes it is BS to all of us who have been so patient.

Yes it is wrong and we should send a message by not getting it.

And yes... I say we knowing damned well that I will end up caving in and buying this new set the day it comes out.

Normally, I would be super pissed at this shameless commercial decision, one of many Queen exploits(1st EP, Queen Rocks, Stone Cold Classics, etc.) However, since they toured this past year... I will just shut up and pull out my wallet again, hoping for top quality versions of stuff like (Human Body, Hijack My Heart and Soul Brother), not that we don't already have good enough versions floating around.

In short, I wish they would have treated us with another live concert like a Houston '77, Earl's Court '77, Hammersmith '79, Budapest '86 or Hyde Park '76 or '2005.

Oh well, there is always the new Q + PR album to hope for.

luthorn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 609 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 00:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I do not buy anything unless it's NEW. The Night at the Opera - No way on earth I will shell out a penny on it. Any new live concert on DVD - I am more than happy to pay twice the going price. In fact if they release a Box Set of concerts on DVD and CD together, one per each tour of whatever material they have as long as it is complete, I would be willing to spend A LOT.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 03:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Do you know what I think? It will probably be like The Who's Singles Box Set or Black Sabbath's where there's about two, three or four songs per disc!

I know I really desire the B-Sides, but I won't shell out money for 10 CDs when the songs I'm after will probably only fit on one.

Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 05:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is not exactly what I would have hoped for, but I am incredibly excited about this and I cannot wait. Most of the time I really hate Greg Brooks, but now I love him and I hope he is true to his word.
Being only fifteen I never got a chance to buy the singles when they first came out, so I don't have the B-Sides. This is maybe an item that younger fans could benefit from more than the veterans.

This can't end well.
Daburcor?

Posted: 09 May 06, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"This is maybe an item that younger fans could benefit from more than the veterans."

Nicely said!

"Elton John and I became really good friends. I don't mean 'good friends' in that sense. I just mean we slept together." -Billy Joel
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 07:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Indeed, I'm really interested in getting it. I'm sure I remember that this was the plan to split things up, away from the box set. So, this is probably a good idea to let this stuff be separate.

Of course, it makes perfect business sense as well. But I won't let that get me down like it will others.

Peace,
Adam.

Daburcor?

Posted: 09 May 06, 08:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"But I won't let that get me down like it will others."

And it SO will.

DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 10:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I guess I consider myself as a verteran having got most of the singles on vinyl (UK at least)plus the more recent ones on CD (Miracle onwards) but I am still pretty excited by this.

I no longer own a turntable to play my 7" singles so it will be good to have all the different mixes,versions and B-sides(especially Human Body/Blurred Vision) on good quality CD. Of course the later singles and some of the B-side tracks are already available on CD but to have them all together will be great.

I still want the rarities box sets though asap, and would have prefered them now and the singles later, but this is a good first step. And hopefully makes room for more of the rarer stuff when those box sets finally arrive.

Mustapha_Ibrahim user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 104 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 10:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think this is WAY better than the much of "nothing" we're used to.

radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

No Thomas...I think you don't understand it.

Queenproductions is promissing and cancelling box set releases for more than 15 years now.

A lot of queen fans are around for a long time now. And much older than you are. And they bought all this so called "rare" stuff ages ago. Of course they can complain

newer fans may be delighted with a b-side. But I don't give a flying shit.

MelinaMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 358 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

be good though hopefully

"If you want your soul to find peace, go to Montreux." - Freddie Mercury