Forums > Queen - General Discussion > announcement: our much loved VAL will soon leave the fanclub :-(

forum rss feed
Author

bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 May 06, 21:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

At the 21st Official International Queen Fan Club Convention in Prestatyn Sands, last weekend from Friday May 5th to Monday May 8th, Keith from Arena Travel announced officially the soon to come departure of Jacky's sister Val. Val has her own reasons to leave the ship (before it sinks...) and was called on stage for the very last time. The fans present were all very sad when this news was presented and Val was very emotional and crying...just as jacky, myself and i think ALL of us there...i personally have many, many, many fond and warm memories about Val, and she has ALWAYS been SO helpful and supportive to me. Through the years i have collected hundreds of memorabilia that i offered to various charity auctions at many different occasions, and she has ALWAYS helped me to get stuff signed by the band, so the items would be worth a lot more and raise more money for aids-charity in Holland and Germany. Many less fortunate people have profited from that, and it also helped making the events worthwhile organising all the more...Val has become like a sister to me through the years, and i will absolutely miss her tremendously. It feels as if i lost a leg or so....The future for OUR fanclub looks very bad, because people just on't bother anymore to renew their memberships as we have the internet now...and i call upon you ALL out there, to contact the Queenfans you know and remember from the past...who are no longer registered members anymore, and try to persuade them ALL to become new paying Queen fanclub members AGAIN, so Jacky and OUR fanclub (our family i would say) will have a renewed right of existance and we will have many more conventions and wonderful events in the future to look forward to. We owe it to ourselves and to Jacky to help in EVERY possible way to keep the fanclub alive!!! The ONLY way to secure the future of our ever so treasured past with Queen, is to make our FRIENDS, RELATIVES, COLLEGUES, NEIGHBOURS and former members, paying members AGAIN ! (or for the first time) SO...PLEASE START TODAY TO HELP THE FANCLUB BECOME BIG, HEALTHY AND STRONG AGAIN !!! because i really can't imagine the world turning round without this wonderful institute that has ALWAYS been there for US...now i feel that WE MUST be there for THEM !!!!! I feel it is a huge shame, that the multi-millionaires of Queen, don't buy them a decent, bright, clean, safe place where the Fanclub can safely go on forever, as the millions they have in their accounts are worthless when they do not bother to help Jacky and the Fanclub going. Without the Fanclub doing all of the most important work for them, they would NEVER have become as big and rich as they are today!!! Queen should do the right thing and fix this PERMANENTLY, so we and Queen themselves really are and will remain the true and only champions of the world...The fans and the fanclub made Queen, now i think they should make the fanclub. I think that their "status" can ONLY be of any meaning, if they provide the fascillities for the BEST and most modern, beautiful decorated and protected fanclub office on the planet!!! True class, quality, respect and loyalty coming from them now, is in my humble opinion the ONLY way they will be deserving our respect again too...if Queen doesn't do anything at all for the fanclub now, they are not worthy to have us as fans anymore ever again...because consciously killing the longest running fanclub of the world, is killing us, their dedicated fans too !!! Please send this message to as many people you know, and spread the word...i hope that Queen will read this too....and undertake the 1 and ONLY action that is needed NOW!!! They could easily spend GBP 250.000,- or more (just as much as is needed to do it properly) to buy a nice office, furnish and decorate it, put alarmsystems in it, and make it a brightly daylighted place where many fans can easily come in and enjoy all the beautiful treasures they can have displayed there like a museum kind of thin

lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 01:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I appriciate your input, but send also a letter to brian himself!

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Don't disturb him, he's busy with pop idols, crazy frogs and musicals.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 03:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL! ;-)

But on a serious note, I'd like to know why Brian/Roger or QP do not give a sh*t about the fanclub as it is right now ...

Like the first post, it was the fans + the fanclub that made Queen big as well ... and now for QP or Brian/Roger to not take care of the fanclub is hard for me to understand ...

Posted: 09 May 06, 03:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I left OIQFC few years ago, so can somebody tell me - Brian and Roger still write letters for magazines or not?

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2393 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 04:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes they do, however to be honest it's mostly Brian. I think the fan club has spent too long looking in the wrong direction. This has been coming for a while and frankly after the recent high spots of a new Queen live album and tour after so long, it's rather surprising that it didn't manage to capitalise on the recent rise in popularity.

I think Jacky has done an OK job but she has refused to tackle this problem in a pure business sense. after all most businesses simple have to change to keep going, she is no different, she can't expect Queen to bail her out, she wanted to split in the first place and become an independent business. if she is struggling she needs to get business loans, rearrange her bank and business to fit the current climate and tackle the internet head on.

By leaving QP she effectively helped them set up QOL, as they lost the income from the fan club so they changed and she didn't, I'm very sorry she is in this situation but I think she needs to get some good professional advice quickly before it's too late, and having talked to her about this she seems to put every obstacle in the way of why she can't do something.

She has made some very silly business decisions like getting rid of the fan club web forum and chat page!!! You complain that everyone now uses the internet and then you get rid of the only reason people would come to your site!

Oh well hopefully she will find a way round this.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 04:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that it was a big mistake to delete the forum and the chat link on the FC website.

But it was QP who abandoned the fan club and Jacky took it as an independent business because she had to if she wanted to keep it going. I think it's utterly unfair to blame the difficulties on Jacky's business decisions when she does not have many options. QOL was created to sell the musical and it's run by a rich company, there is no way Jacky can compete. She is cut from the first hand information and has nothing to offer that QOL cannot provide for - except the memorabilia in the fan club and the convention.

If the fans want to keep the fan club they should email the band and tell them they want it. QP can even write off the Fan Club costs from their taxes, why in all the world should they be so cold hearted and refuse to help the most loyal person you can ask for.

I do not want any google ads here.

Togg

Posted: 09 May 06, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Double post

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Togg

Posted: 09 May 06, 04:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I don't agree, QP wanted to take the fan club in a different direction to the one Jacky wanted, in the end she pushed to become an independent business and took that risk.

Just like any business you have to make hard choices, and to sit back and blame others or changes in the world in which you work simply isn't good enough, you have to act and change yourself.

She has the choice to get professional help, organise a business loan and start the business again from a new office, but unless she attracts more people she will never make it work and to do that she has to offer them more, a web site that is worth visiting, good quality magazines and tickets to concerts, all of which she has to negotiate from QP to get the information etc, she might have to pay for the information but that's business, Queen get no money from the fan club just extra PR so they only have a small interest in it since she took it over. If you talk to her she seems to expect them to do everything for her without anything in return. Sorry but this is her own business and she has to run it just the same as she would if it was a sweet shop, Cadburys arent going to give her chocolates for free it's a two way thing. OK Queen get some PR from the fan club but lets be honest it's the band that get the punters in, and not the other way round, if she wants to get there support she has to demonstrate that she can bring more people and funds in, the way she operates now means she will never do this, IMO the final nail was removing the forum, now nobody visits her site, what's the point, she doesn't understand this and blames other sites for tacking her business away, well she has no god given right to it, just like everyone else in business she has to work for it and adapt to change, she should have invested heavily in the website to make it the best, and most up to date, she could have negotiated with QP to get first shot of certain news items, but she doesn't know how to.

A great shame but I do feel it's really down to her.

bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 05:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Listen up y'all...and please, please stop talking in this direction. I was a fan already from day 1, even in the days when the real and very first fanclub was founded in Holland and was called "The Dedicated Queen Followers Association" from wich the "Official Dutch Queen Office" was born, in the very first and beautiful old days of Rosy Kanselaar, Donna Martinelli, Hennie Einkotter and Anja van Wijk (NOBODY remembers THEM as the true founders of the real and very first fanclub ever...) they started with spreading hand typed "magazines" already in early 1975 with documentation about the very first bootlegs and discussed them, the lyrics and concertreviews etc...In those days even a faxmachine was like very futuristic, and contacting people all over the world very expensive and hard to realise. After a while, even the british people got the idea that Queen in those very early days was a band worth to have their own fanclub, and then the "Official International Queen Fan Club" was founded. First magazine coming out in Summer 1976...more than a year later than the Followers made their first. From then on, Queen became involved much more, as a fanclub in London was much cheaper and easier for them to be in contact with than far away Holland. You MUSTN'T forget, that in those early days, even Holland was the end of the world...nowadays it is nothing to travel or to have contacts all over the world right under a button. BUT: Rosy in Holland, Vicky, Sue, and Amanda in the UK, were the first Ladies to run the office, and they grew and grew because of their neverlasting efforts, in days when everything was just SOOO primitive. And if these ladies wouldn't have made Queen big, wellknown and succesfull and approachable to and for the fans, as THEY did ALL the PR and brought the fans together all over the world, Queen and their fanclub would NEVER have been as big as they then became!!! It is because of the huge historie, and the really MILLIONS of very important FIRST steps, i feel that BOTH BRIAN AND ROGER have NO other option than to help Jacky out and GIVE her a brandnew office!!! It is a case of honour, and finally do something that really matters in return for ALL the hard work that the fanclub has done in 32 years and helped Queen becoming multi-millionaires . The fanclub has ALWAYS been there for both the band and the fans. THAT is what lies on the table here. NOT bizznizz chit chat and descicions that might have been made, or were forced upon Jacky...It is an institute with such a rich and honourable past, that i feel that Queen are now bliged to save their past for the future and have a goodrunning safe fanclub office. Queen "a royal and easy to understand word all over the world, that people can relate to" was the chosen name for the band by Freddie, who wouldn't have had ANY discussion at all, if he would have still been here with us, the fanclub would have immediately been given a MILLION pounds, as FREDDIE valued the work of the fanclub dearl, and was very supportive to them, because he knew and appreciated ALL the fanclub(s) did for him and HIS band. Since the internet came and Freddie left, Roger and Brian have been in a rut, went through tough times, and the fanclub remained in function and handled zillions of reactions when Freddie died, and stood \there beside Queen and helped them through the toughest and most painfu times of their entire lives !!! THAT is what i am ralking about, when i say : How the hell can either Brian or Roger look at them selves in a mirror, knowing the fanclub is in great danger of becoming history...? NO my dears...it has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with bizznizz here...it is a matter of homour, and if the Queenies have any, they will do as I say !!! I hope y'all getting the REAL point here??? thanx 4 all your reactions so far !!! I really appreciate your interest...and in the meantime--> get your friends to sign up again !!! As for now, THAT i

lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
Togg

Posted: 09 May 06, 06:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but I don't agree, Jacky runs the fan club not as a charity, it's her business she earns her living from it. So it has to operate like a business. I too have been a member since the early days late 70's to be exact, I still am a member, however I get nothing from it anymore, just four, now three mags a year with old information.

If she wants to survive she will simply have to change, the fan club did not make Queen millionaires, THEY did that, the fan club only served as a place to go and get some information, it has done nothing to really increase their popularity, people were already fans and would have stayed fans, fan club or not.

MelinaMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 358 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 06:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

bas asselbergs wrote:

At the 21st Official International Queen Fan Club Convention in Prestatyn Sands, last weekend from Friday May 5th to Monday May 8th, Keith from Arena Travel announced officially the soon to come departure of Jacky's sister Val. Val has her own reasons to leave the ship (before it sinks...) and was called on stage for the very last time. The fans present were all very sad when this news was presented and Val was very emotional and crying...just as jacky, myself and i think ALL of us there...i personally have many, many, many fond and warm memories about Val, and she has ALWAYS been SO helpful and supportive to me. Through the years i have collected hundreds of memorabilia that i offered to various charity auctions at many different occasions, and she has ALWAYS helped me to get stuff signed by the band, so the items would be worth a lot more and raise more money for aids-charity in Holland and Germany. Many less fortunate people have profited from that, and it also helped making the events worthwhile organising all the more...Val has become like a sister to me through the years, and i will absolutely miss her tremendously. It feels as if i lost a leg or so....The future for OUR fanclub looks very bad, because people just on't bother anymore to renew their memberships as we have the internet now...and i call upon you ALL out there, to contact the Queenfans you know and remember from the past...who are no longer registered members anymore, and try to persuade them ALL to become new paying Queen fanclub members AGAIN, so Jacky and OUR fanclub (our family i would say) will have a renewed right of existance and we will have many more conventions and wonderful events in the future to look forward to. We owe it to ourselves and to Jacky to help in EVERY possible way to keep the fanclub alive!!! The ONLY way to secure the future of our ever so treasured past with Queen, is to make our FRIENDS, RELATIVES, COLLEGUES, NEIGHBOURS and former members, paying members AGAIN ! (or for the first time) SO...PLEASE START TODAY TO HELP THE FANCLUB BECOME BIG, HEALTHY AND STRONG AGAIN !!! because i really can't imagine the world turning round without this wonderful institute that has ALWAYS been there for US...now i feel that WE MUST be there for THEM !!!!! I feel it is a huge shame, that the multi-millionaires of Queen, don't buy them a decent, bright, clean, safe place where the Fanclub can safely go on forever, as the millions they have in their accounts are worthless when they do not bother to help Jacky and the Fanclub going. Without the Fanclub doing all of the most important work for them, they would NEVER have become as big and rich as they are today!!! Queen should do the right thing and fix this PERMANENTLY, so we and Queen themselves really are and will remain the true and only champions of the world...The fans and the fanclub made Queen, now i think they should make the fanclub. I think that their "status" can ONLY be of any meaning, if they provide the fascillities for the BEST and most modern, beautiful decorated and protected fanclub office on the planet!!! True class, quality, respect and loyalty coming from them now, is in my humble opinion the ONLY way they will be deserving our respect again too...if Queen doesn't do anything at all for the fanclub now, they are not worthy to have us as fans anymore ever again...because consciously killing the longest running fanclub of the world, is killing us, their dedicated fans too !!! Please send this message to as many people you know, and spread the word...i hope that Queen will read this too....and undertake the 1 and ONLY action that is needed NOW!!! They could easily spend GBP 250.000,- or more (just as much as is needed to do it properly) to buy a nice office, furnish and decorate it, put alarmsystems in it, and make it a brightly daylighted place where many fans can easily come in and enjoy all the beautiful treasures they

"If you want your soul to find peace, go to Montreux." - Freddie Mercury
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 08:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It would not suprise me if QP wants the Fan Club to fold so that they can start a record company Fan Club.

Togg

Posted: 09 May 06, 08:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That might suit the fans better, at least it would be first hand news and first call for tickets. However if it is run buy the same people that run QOL heaven help us...

Queen T user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 08:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

PieterMC wrote:

It would not suprise me if QP wants the Fan Club to fold so that they can start a record company Fan Club.

Who/what is QP?

Togg

Posted: 09 May 06, 09:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Productions, the company behind most of Queen's business (at least the parts we get to see) (however not the tours that is Queen Touring Ltd)

Posted: 09 May 06, 09:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Queen Productions, the company behind most of Queen's business (at least the parts we get to see) (however not the tours that is Queen Touring Ltd)

I did some work about it:
http://serryfunster.narod.ru/ltds.htm

Queen T user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 09:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Thanks...a little slow with my abbreviations... *embarrassed*

inmsthebest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 532 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 09:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Togg wrote:

I did some work about it:
http://serryfunster.narod.ru/ltds.htm>

You did some research there, Serry...cheers!

God, Amazing powerful musicians""
iron eagle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3793 posts

Posted: 09 May 06, 11:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

That might suit the fans better, at least it would be first hand news and first call for tickets. However if it is run buy the same people that run QOL heaven help us...

and that is exactly why Jacky has it now

and still people refuse to understand that-- the FC would have closed down years ago if beach had his way

i got a way with the boys on my block.. :-)