Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What's better: Freddie's guitar Playing or Brian's singing?

forum rss feed
Author

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What's better: Freddie Playing the guitar or Brian singing?

Just You and Me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wow, this is a very interesting question. One to which I'm not sure if I have an answer. One which requires much thought. Basically I just wanted to say that you get 8/10 "interesting and well thought out" points.

life is like a box of chocolates...stuffed with individuals.

Mary
zaiga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, the only song we know where Freddie plays the guitar is Crazy Little Thing. It's 6 chords or so, and he plays them well, but it's nothing special. He might be able to play better than that, but we'll never know.

Now Brian isn't a brilliant singer, but I do rank his singing a bit higher than Freddie's guitar playing.

Flick of the wrist
it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really love Brian's voice, I think its very soothing, I can see him singing a lullaby, not like his voice is boring and can put you to sleep or anything! But I'll say Brian's Singing...

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's singing ofcourse. You trying to say he wasn't good at that? Ha...He made two great solo albums and his voice is just wonderful, I tell you!

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Freddie's guitar playing. The only thing I have to base that on is my opinion of Brian's singing. Sorry y'all, I just don't like his voice.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was electric7 wrote:

I really love Brian's voice, I think its very soothing, I can see him singing a lullaby, not like his voice is boring and can put you to sleep or anything! But I'll say Brian's Singing...

I think his voice is really soothihg too. When I have trouble sleeping (which is just about every night) I listen to "Just One Life" and instantly become very relaxed and fall asleep :) Too bad I couldn't have him sit next to me on my bed and sing me a lullaby while he gently strokes my hair *sighs* And then a kiss on the forehead would be nice too!

I don't know how well Freddie could play guitar. I would assume since there isn't much of his guitar playing on record that Brian's singing is better.

Just You and Me user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 94 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I suppose i can say that we do see lots of pictures from freddie in the 70's with a guitar in his lap. that has to say he knew the guitar better than he let on...right?

life is like a box of chocolates...stuffed with individuals.

Mary
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 16:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Gotta be Brian's singing. There's not a lot of Freddie's guitar playing, but plenty examples of Brian singing. Freddie was never good enough to tour and play lead guitar, so effectively, that should answer your question. Good question, though.

This can't end well.
Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 16:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was electric7 wrote:

I agree with everything you said in that one post. :-D

-Things Have Changed For Me-
FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 16:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brians singing, duh!

"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."

(Genesis 1:1)
RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 18:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mmmmmm, this is a good question, but I would have to say Brian's singing...

I loooooooove his voice on '39' and Only the good die young...beautiful voice!!!

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Katastrophe Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 307 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 18:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

yeah, i say brian's singing. i love his voice as much as freddie's. ^_^

saltnvinegar user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 312 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually I misread this question to be "which is better, Freddie's singing or Brian's guitar playing?"...I guess that debate is for another thread!
I think that when the song suits his style/range Brian sings well though I sometimes feel he sounds a little reedy and strained on certain tracks.
As for Freddie, a few concert clips and the studio version of CLTCL aren't enough to make a judgement on his guitar abilities. I know he used to worship Hendrix so he no doubt tried to copy him when he was younger but thankfully he discovered his vocal abilities instead and shared them with the world.

Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LongLostMercury wrote:

yeah, i say brian's singing. i love his voice as much as freddie's. ^_^

Brian can sing better than Freddie could play guitar...but thats not saying much.

I could have anyone here playing guitar better then Freddie in a week from a technical standpoint.

Remember....music theory, is music theory....theory wise, Freddie had the capabilty of kicking ass on any instrument, but he had little to no technical prowless on guitar...which tells me he must have very rarely picked it up.

Meanwhile, liking Brian's voice as much as Freddie's??

Thats like comparing Budweiser beer to Dom Perion Champagne.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 22:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought of this question after hearing Brian sing In Lap of the Gods (revisited)

http://rapidshare.de/files/19812365/14_In_The_Lap_Of_The_Gods..._revisited__Brian_May_on_vocals__.mp3.html

and with his version of Too much love will kill you. I can't understand how anyone could like his voice as much as Freddie but to each his own you know lol. Freddie did play on crazy little thing called love. He played with John and Roger on the backing track. Brian played over that with the telly but the guitar on the backing track is all Freddie and it's pretty perfect. Freddie said he knew 3 chords but Keith Richards claims to only know 3 chords too lol.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fred wasn't a bad guitarist but he still was quite basic. Brian's voice otoh is extraordinary. IMO.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Scott_Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 704 posts

Posted: 15 May 06, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Fred wasn't a bad guitarist but he still was quite basic. Brian's voice otoh is extraordinary. IMO.

Fred could have been excellent on whatever instrument he choosed, he just didn't spend much time on guitar.

Meanwhile Sebastian, can you translate your Brian comment into English.

Having a smoking area in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool
Knute user not visiting Queenzone.com
Knute
Bohemian: 807 posts

Posted: 16 May 06, 00:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian is a good singer.

I mean I get chills when I listen to Leaving Home Ain't Easy.

He may not be technically awesome, but his voice communicates on an emotional level and that is all you can ask of any singer.

Look at Dylan. A lot of people people knock his singing, but I like his voice.
It's totally unique and it gets the point across.

I consider Brian's vocals unique as well.

I think he does a great job on Teo Torriate from Super Live In Japan and the high notes of Under Pressure he does just fine!

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6328 posts

Posted: 16 May 06, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's voice otoh is extraordinary = Brian's voice, on the other hand, is extraordinary

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.