Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Did you guys see this??

forum rss feed
Author

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 May 06, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey all! Did you see this link that got posted on the sharing music thread? It's the coolest thing I've ever seen, and I'm trying not to cry as I watch it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVtjXMq2sTw

Formerly MHG
zone user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 261 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I wish Freddie was still around.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 12:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How on earth did they manage that?

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 17 May 06, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nathan wrote:

How on earth did they manage that?

Your guess is as good as mine, but it's amazing!

Formerly MHG
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 12:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's clever stuff.

When you watch the weatherman/weathergirl do their thing, they generally stand in front of a blue or green sheet, that is replaced by shitty graphics afterwards.

What they would have done in this video, is instead of the blue sheet, you go into each frame painting out what you don't want to see.

It's called Rotoscoping, I *think*... I do a lot of this shit, but never on this scale. It's very well done.

I wish more Queen filmclips were done in this style though... Lord knows they have the budget to do this kind of basic (but time-intensive) effects work... heck, they could even do Freddie "Gollum" style. I just wish the videos would have more effort put into them as opposed to yet another DoRo video.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 17 May 06, 12:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

It's clever stuff.

When you watch the weatherman/weathergirl do their thing, they generally stand in front of a blue or green sheet, that is replaced by shitty graphics afterwards.

What they would have done in this video, is instead of the blue sheet, you go into each frame painting out what you don't want to see.

It's called Rotoscoping, I *think*... I do a lot of this shit, but never on this scale. It's very well done.

I wish more Queen filmclips were done in this style though... Lord knows they have the budget to do this kind of basic (but time-intensive) effects work... heck, they could even do Freddie "Gollum" style. I just wish the videos would have more effort put into them as opposed to yet another DoRo video.

Amazing what they can do with TV now. I knew that they did the weatherpeople that way, but I've never seen anything turn out this good

Formerly MHG
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Amazing what they can do with TV now. I knew that they did the weatherpeople that way, but I've never seen anything turn out this good"

Well that's the funny thing, technology to do this kind of thing is what, 15 or so years old at least - but the key to getting it to REALLY work is having good stuff to insert footage into. They did a great job of lighting their set and making it look like Freddie just 'fit' into it. It's incredibly clever in that regard.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 17 May 06, 13:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

How come they missed out the verse which begins: "You can't turn back the clock, you can't turn back the time"?

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 17 May 06, 13:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I imagine that as much time as it took to get that just right, it would have been much more to do the whole song.
I love that song though...it's a tear jerker
If that technology is 15 years old, makes you wonder what kind of new technology is being kept under wraps..... *grins mischeviously*

Formerly MHG
Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 14:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I saw it, too one night and thought the same thing you guys are thinking, and that's "how'd they do that? This video is so amazing!"

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 14:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That was AMAZING!!!!!! Through out the whole thing my jaw dropped and my eyes was popping out! That is REALLY clever what they did, looks like he IS on stage with them and when Freddie finishs and walks off it's like he's REALLY walking off the stage....

What was this made for? Also does anyone know when and where this all took place?

AspiringPhilosophe

Posted: 17 May 06, 14:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#FF00CC">its_a_hard_life wrote:

That was AMAZING!!!!!! Through out the whole thing my jaw dropped and my eyes was popping out! That is REALLY clever what they did, looks like he IS on stage with them and when Freddie finishs and walks off it's like he's REALLY walking off the stage....

What was this made for? Also does anyone know when and where this all took place?

I think this was in Germany, but I can only get that by watching the poster in the back, I think it said "Queen, die show" or something like that, and I know that "die" is a German world (when you aren't speaking of death). I actually saw it on the announce forum, it was posted by sebaspedre,
maybe he'd know

Formerly MHG
Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Spot-on with what it is Zeb. Rotoscoping is WAY older than 15 years, though. The lightsabers in the original Star Wars films were done in the same way. So, that makes it at least 30 years. Not sure when it was done the first time. You can do it with many programs and www.fxhome.com has a great program for doing it.

Yup, I really like the video. But on the whole thing not being the complete song... Is it not more likely that the band in the video didn't perform the entire song and therefore, whoever made the video, didn't have enough footage to pad it out and make it work? And of course, if the band on-stage didn't perform the full thing, looping stuff round wouldn't really work.

Peace,
Adam.

Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think the reflex of freddies shoes on the floor was amazingly done

:)
biggest_fan_K user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 342 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes its amazing!

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That video made me so sad! It made me feel nostalgic, although I've never even seen Queen live, much less Freddie. :-(

-Things Have Changed For Me-
ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If I'm correct, the singing guy in the audience with the glasses is one of the DoRo guys? And is that Phoebe near the end....?

"Die" is one of the German words for "the", by the way.

That was excellent....

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ok.computer wrote:

If I'm correct, the singing guy in the audience with the glasses is one of the DoRo guys? And is that Phoebe near the end....?

Yep, and Jim Hutton was there in the begining. God, this was beautiful, so gorgeous. I totally loved it and when it ended I was just like "oh..." in a sad sorta way, It was so gorgeous.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

They should have tried to do Brian, John and Roger too!!

Take care

Posted: 17 May 06, 16:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, why was the guy who played John Deacon bald?