Forums > Personal > Question for people who don't live in U.S.

forum rss feed
Author

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 21 May 06, 16:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For those of you who don't live in the United States and have traveled here before, I was just wondering what your opinion was of the States? Any negative opionions won't offend me. I'm just curious...

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well

I don't like it

it's not against the people but against the goverment.

I wish they all get cancer and die slowly, right in the way they deserve.

CAPO E

Best wishes *

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oh lord
but seriously this topic isnt going to be very forgiving

One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love London. :-)

Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 22:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

MatiasMay wrote:

Well

I don't like it

CAPO E

Best wishes *

Are you insane? Maybe it's just a language barrier, but you don't make any sense.

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 23:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm caught in the middle of two nations with bad stereotypes...

It pisses me off when people think all Americans are fat, ignorant, hypocrites and right-wing nuts.

...and it also pisses me when people think that all Colombians are drug dealers, dishonest, and criminals.

I say shut the fuck up and learn to judge people without generalizing based on what's spread through the media or word of mouth of those who have never been to a country they are daring to criticize.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Lisser wrote:

MatiasMay wrote:

Well

I don't like it

CAPO E

Best wishes *

Are you insane? Maybe it's just a language barrier, but you don't make any sense.

DO YA WANT A PIECE OF ME!?!?

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Lisser user not visiting Queenzone.com
Lisser
Deity: 4794 posts

Posted: 21 May 06, 23:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I work with a lady from Colombia Dan and she is freaking awesome!! She and I have become really good friends. She reminds me of Charo(sp?). She is teeny tiny, big boobs, dresses like a model, wears 5 inch high heels!! When she sees me each day she runs up to me and says, "ayeeee, hola senorita!" and hugs me. She always tells me she likes my outfits but it's in spanish. She's been here for about ten years. She tells me she doesn't understand why people are so rude here. I asked her what she meant and I wanted to know who was being rude to her. She said just people in general here aren't as nice as they are in Colombia. I think she is right, at least where I live. No one looks you in the eye, no one says hi when passing in the street.

I dunno, I just get upset when I see her frustrated. She's such a cool person. I love to hear her talk!!!

Wo ist das kamerahhhhhhhhhhh!!!

NJ!!!

Mr.Jingles

Posted: 21 May 06, 23:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LOL

I know what you mean Lisser. By personal experience I've seen that while in Colombia you even talk to the kid in your classroom that you hate the most, in the US you don't say a single word to the majority of your classmates.
Sometimes you spend a whole semester not speaking a word to absolutely anyone in class.

Also in Colombia (as well as in many Latin American countries) guys say "hi" female friends with a peck on the cheek. In America most girls would consider that as if you're actually hitting on them, and one small step from making out.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
Munchsack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1770 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have never been to the U.S., but I would like to go some day and see a lot of the big sites and so on. Although I really hate the government, too, but I hate the government here as well. Blair and Bush are messing up the world. I also hate how the settlers came in and stole the land from the Natives and killed them, basically. Obviously the people who live there now did not do that, but their ancestors did. So every time you call yourself an American, remember you are living on stolen land.
But the thing I hate most about America is the way you ruined our language. Again, this is not the fault of modern America, it was the people who were there before you. I personally am not happy about the Scots speaking English, but at least we speak it properly.
Sorry if the above rant looks as though I am having a go at America, I'm not. It is just the original settlers I have a problem with.
Oh, and also the way Hollywood glorifies and changes everything to make it look better, like Custer's Last Stand, and Braveheart. I seem to recall there was a bridge at the Batlle of Stirling Bridge. Now that is a modern American problem.

This can't end well.

Posted: 22 May 06, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But I'm sure it's a nice country.

This can't end well.
Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 07:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Land of the free - home of the weird...

willem-jan 8923 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 818 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

I'm caught in the middle of two nations with bad stereotypes...

It pisses me off when people think all Americans are fat, ignorant, hypocrites and right-wing nuts.

...and it also pisses me when people think that all Colombians are drug dealers, dishonest, and criminals.

I say shut the fuck up and learn to judge people without generalizing based on what's spread through the media or word of mouth of those who have never been to a country they are daring to criticize.

So basically you are a dishonest, fat, hypocrite right-wing drug dealer? ;)

Actually I've never been there, so I can't judge the people. The ones I've met over here in Europe were all nice, so I suppose most of the people in the US will be as well.
I just get the impression (from television/press/colleagues that went there) that the people in the US overestimate themselves. Somehow they call themselves free, but I think the political correctness is forcing people to act in a way that is far from free. But I'll be there in September, so I can judge myself.

AspiringPhilosophe user not visiting Queenzone.com
AspiringPhilosophe
Royalty: 1711 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 08:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Munchsack <h6>The Paranoid QueenZoner wrote:

I have never been to the U.S., but I would like to go some day and see a lot of the big sites and so on. Although I really hate the government, too, but I hate the government here as well. Blair and Bush are messing up the world. I also hate how the settlers came in and stole the land from the Natives and killed them, basically. Obviously the people who live there now did not do that, but their ancestors did. So every time you call yourself an American, remember you are living on stolen land.
But the thing I hate most about America is the way you ruined our language. Again, this is not the fault of modern America, it was the people who were there before you. I personally am not happy about the Scots speaking English, but at least we speak it properly.
Sorry if the above rant looks as though I am having a go at America, I'm not. It is just the original settlers I have a problem with.
Oh, and also the way Hollywood glorifies and changes everything to make it look better, like Custer's Last Stand, and Braveheart. I seem to recall there was a bridge at the Batlle of Stirling Bridge. Now that is a modern American problem.

I totally get what you mean. When I was in France (studying Franco-US relations at the height of the tensions), I felt like I constantly had to defend America, since I am an American. But to be honest I don't think America is all that great. I mean, it's not the worst, but it's not the best either.
I think that's why a lot of people don't go abroad from America (only 1 in 4 people have passports). Granted some a just lazy, but others just don't want to spend all their time defending their country. I hope I don't have to do that when I get to Glasgow, I really don't want to do that. And if anyone from outside America reads this, remember one thing for me....PLEASE DON'T JUDGE US BASED ON HOLLYWOOD!! Hollywood is about as honest a picture of American culture as Braveheart was historically accurate about William Wallace (don't even get me started....great movie, historically crap). "Reality" TV? Same thing.
And actually, Munchsack, you've hit on the reason why I refuse to teach history in K-12 schools in America. The whole slaughtering the Natives thing is never brought up until high school, and even then it's so sugar coated that it's not worth teaching anymore. I refuse to sugarcoat history. It's not pretty and it shouldn't be taught that way. But we can't change the past, either. Trust me, I wish we could (even though I'm only 3rd generation, my great grandfather was actully Welsh and came here after WWI). We have a tribe right here in town, and they get along great with the non-natives, even letting my university use their name as the name for the sports teams, so long as there isn't a racist logo to go with it (there isn't).
All in all, great place to visit, but I really like Europe better.

Formerly MHG

Posted: 22 May 06, 08:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm glad you agree with me and I understand exactly what you mean about defending your country. Whenever I go to other countries (England, especially) I constantly feel I have to defend Scotland, but there are things I can't defend, like the shit diet and the "24-hour drinking is compulsory" attitude in parts of Scotland (esp Glasgow). But Scotland has a very proud history and I am proud to be Scottish.

When you come to Scotland, there are some nice parts of Glasgow as well as nasty ones. Stay away from the Gorbals and Ibrox and you should be fine. Also, you should visit Edinburgh. It is really nice and there are some great things to see and do there.

This can't end well.
Slap the P user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 63 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 08:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I just came back from a short visit to outside Portland, Oregon.
First of all I'd have to say it's a big difference between New York (the only city I've visited in US before) and the small village of Wilsonville outside Portland. So I guess you would get a different view depending on where you travel in that huge country.
But the thing that strikes a visitor from almost any European country would be how BIG everything is. And the place where I went looked a lot like Springfield (the Simpson's). Cars and buildings, sidewalks and parkinglots are much bigger than what is necessary. It seems to be a very rich part of US with a lot of expandation. Everything is kept very nice and clean. In some ways I guess that Portland region reminds me of the northern part of Sweden.
I would love to travel more through US and see more. So much of the music, books and movies I like describe places and events there. Walking through New York was like walking through my old hometown.
Politicaly... I talked to a man who said, with tears in his eyes, he believes USA is heading for a civil war... Well, as a visitor you get reminded of the hard times right away as you try entering the country.
I would never make the mistake of judging a people by it's government. I don't like Bush, and I know half of all americans (if not more) agree with me on that. Even if you don't agree there's still a chance we agree on other things so always try to listen before you shout.
PEACE

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 13:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="#FF00FF">its_a_hard_life wrote:

I love London. :-)

Me too! :D

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 17:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=scarlet>EmpressOfTheUniverse wrote:

I hate the way Americans treat People who are from Latin America or Native American....or any one with a bit of culture!!!!!!!!!!

I know!! Once, my teacher went to the US, and she told people she was Brazilian. This one guy actually asked if people walked around naked and lived in forests. He was serious, too. Plus they were showing everyone how to fold an American flag. They asked her, "How do you fold YOUR flag?"
"We don't fold our flag, actually."
She said they just stared at her as if her country was uncivilized.
I hate prejudice like that. :-(

-Things Have Changed For Me-
Mr.Jingles

Posted: 22 May 06, 17:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ChinesedogTorture wrote:

I hate the way Americans treat People who are from Latin America or Native American....or any one with a bit of culture!!!!!!!!!!

I know!! Once, my teacher went to the US, and she told people she was Brazilian. This one guy actually asked if people walked around naked and lived in forests. He was serious, too. Plus they were showing everyone how to fold an American flag. They asked her, "How do you fold YOUR flag?"

Why doesn't that surprise me when even the President of the United States has no clue that there's black people in Brazil, too.

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 22 May 06, 17:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr.Jingles wrote:

ChinesedogTorture wrote:

Why doesn't that surprise me when even the President of the United States has no clue that there's black people in Brazil, too.

Bush's stupidity has prooven us it has no bounds.

-Things Have Changed For Me-