Model 5: "Crazy Little Thing"

Model 6: "Brighton Rock"

Model 7: "Winter's Tale / Deacy"

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 04:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Very cool, I want one, any news as to if they are on sale in the UK yet?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 23 May 06, 11:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they come out in late June/ early July

Adam Baboolal user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adam Baboolal
Deity: 4986 posts

Posted: 23 May 06, 19:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For what little you get, both preset-wise and control-wise, I'm wondering if the sounds it'll do will really be THAT good... Did it actually appear at the guitar expo show? And if so, did anyone get to hear it?

Peace,
Adam.

Togg

Posted: 24 May 06, 04:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Have you tried other digitech pedals? the Eric Clapton for instance? well let me tell you for the money they are great, I don't understand what you were expecting? you can't make a pedal that has infinate control and eq built in, the norm is three to four control elements, what do you expect for $200?

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 24 May 06, 07:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Someone will have to lend me one so I can form my own opinion.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 24 May 06, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

what do you expect for $200?

lol $200?! Try £200. What did I expect? Honestly, at the very least control over delays in the Brighton Rock patch or maybe a proper pair of jack outputs for the stereo effect with a normal out for a center amp.
It makes me think that I should just get the Genesis pedal Brian seemed to love the sound of, i.e. the one some guy auditioned for WWRY and had some really clever tone that was almost like Brian's.

At least the Vox VBM1 was cheap and amazing. I use it all the time. I can't stop! But seriously, that's a booster, deacy, hi or low gain setting and has a basic gain rotary setting. I picked one up for £50!

So, yeah, at 4 times the price, I expect more than a few presets and a treble/bass control. You might as well spend the extra £30 for the GenX3 that Brian was so initially pleased with. And with that, you'd get a whole load of effects as well as the clever amp modelling. EDIT: not to mention a drum machine, bass modeller and 8-track recorder built-in!

Why is it that I can find the other artist pedal's, including Clapton's, for £115 and yet, Brian's is £200!?

Peace,
Adam.

Togg

Posted: 24 May 06, 09:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sorry but that's nonsense Adam, firstly they haven't released the price in the UK (that I've seen) but if it's on sale in the US for $199 it will be somewhere around that here.

Secondly, no pedals (that are any good) have the complicated controls you speak of, Boss is just about the industry standard used by Pro and Amateur alike, they are simple and work extremely well. Effects like the Brighton Rock delays need to be done with a separate delay pedal if you want to do it properly.

This pedal was meant to give you Brian's tone, not his whole rig!

If you think $200 or for that matter £200 is too much for Brian's rig than I would be amused at what you think it should cost.

Anyway I'm sure in a year you will be able to do the same you did with the deacy amp and pick it up for £50, I seem to remember that being a little higher priced when it arrived.

But until you hear it, why not wait until you slag it off??? there's a thought

bobo the chimp

Posted: 24 May 06, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Muahaha. I must be really lucky, but my amp sounds Queen enough for my liking. It's a shitty Crate amp, but I've been fiddling with settings for so many years now that I've come to the point where I'm finally happy with the sound. Needless to say I won't be spending money on anything that'll make me sound like someone else.
Don't get me wrong, I like to play Queen and have that 'Queen' sound, but you realise half of that sound is in the way you play the guitar? All the accents, the expressiveness - you're not going to get that out of a pedal.

But anyway.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Adam Baboolal

Posted: 24 May 06, 11:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Togg wrote:

Who slagged it off?

Peace,
Adam.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Digitech---Brian-May~ID~5103.asp

£200 like I said I had found it for. I actually thought it should be similarly priced to the other Digitech Artist pedals.

Togg

Posted: 24 May 06, 11:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Adam Baboolal wrote:

Togg wrote:

Who slagged it off?

Peace,
Adam.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Digitech---Brian-May~ID~5103.asp

£200 like I said I had found it for. I actually thought it should be similarly priced to the other Digitech Artist pedals.

"So, yeah, at 4 times the price, I expect more than a few presets and a treble/bass control".

Well I didn't think you were applauding it!

It's not far off the price of the Jimi H model which I suspect was also £200 when first launched, the configuration is similar as well, which is why I'm surprised you were expecting more.

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 24 May 06, 11:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But that's not slagging it, Togg. Just an observation on what you get for your money. I'm always amongst those here that say, let's wait and see before judging something. And I'm merely making a point by what I said. I'll wait and see how it sounds, but at that price (in the UK), even if it's great, it'll be difficult to consider buying it.

Especially difficult because I already have a guitar and amp (plus deacy) that make a great Brian sound already. So, this pedal really needs to deliver, for me to consider investing in it.

Peace,
Adam.

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 24 May 06, 17:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As an aside, expecting something to be the same price both sides of the pond is laughable.

If it's $200, I'd say £200 will be nearer the true figure than £120 ($200 equiv)

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 24 May 06, 18:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Actually, I think I just noticed something really clever. The SC/RedSpecial/HB selector on the pedal... Could that be to match the kind of guitar you're using? e.g. if I used a strat with single-coil pickups, does switching the pedal to "SC" adjust parameters to something suitable for those guitars? Hmm...

Peace,
Adam.

Togg

Posted: 25 May 06, 04:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I noticed that too, and if the specs are right it also allows for a Crazy Little Thing (tele) sound as well as the full monty Bri overdrive. Which personally I think is rather nifty.

It will be interesting to see how it sounds through different Amps, I notice it has a direct to mixer output as well as Amp, the amp will of course make the most difference,and I guess starting from as cleaner setting as possible would be the best bet.

I think I will be investing in one,I have a very good valve amp plus the deacy and one of my guitars is the Burns Red Special so even thogh I can get a good version of his sound unless I go get an AC 30 I'm not going to get it that close, it will be interesting to see if this does the job. Also to try it on single and humbucker guitars as well!!

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 15:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice update - http://www.digitech.com/products/Brian%5FMay/

Peace,
Adam.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think i´ll wait for the reviews on the guitar mags!

Take care

Adam Baboolal

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 17:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have to admit, the amount of control is far better than what I originally thought. If this sounds good, then it could well be worth the money after-all!

It even has a harmonised control for the Brighton Rock stuff that Bri did in 1992 ala Chinese Torture. Someone was hoping for that here on the forum and another person said it wouldn't be there. Well... it is! And it also appears from the manual that you can hook it up to a pair of amps after-all. Nice!

Only drawback to that site link is that they still haven't put any clips or samples online. Heck, if the deacy portion sounds good, I'll definitely have to think about getting this. Nice turnaround! But yes, need to hear it and get the reviews back.

Peace,
Adam.

bobo the chimp

Posted: 26 Jun 06, 08:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

See now if I was a half-witted magazine writer, I'd get one of these in the mail with the understanding I'd write a glowing review of the thing.
Frig... I really wouldn't mind having a fiddle with this pedal.

drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 06, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Looks like it will be fun to play with, but I'm not sure how much I will be able to use it for my stuff.

Adam, you said you love the VBM1. I haven't been able to do much with it, and I'd be interested in knowing how you're running your signal path with it and what you're using it for. Care to share?