Forums > Personal > The DaVinci Code...

forum rss feed
Author

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 16:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I fear it's making too many stupid people think.

That is all.. Not really worth a topic..

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 17:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

not worth a topic?
HIPOCRITE


One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city



http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the code sucks... the idea is stupid... it's dangerous... it's ignorant... etc.


2+2=5
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 17:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jamie SureWould wrote:

not worth a topic?
HIPOCRITE

Huh? I'm not following..

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This girl in my class yesterday was talking to me about the movie... I said I was gonna go see it, cause all the religious people were telling us not to see it, therefore it must be good. She said, "No! Don't watch it, it's anti-Christian!"
Okaaay.


-Things Have Changed For Me-
Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 18:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You see.. my problem with it is.. I get really annoyed when something starts off as a book then gets made into a film and suddenly everybody's seen it and everybody starts making a massive deal about it. In my opinion books tend to be better than films and films are just the lazy peoples way out. Meh.

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 May 06, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=Violet>Poppy wrote:

Jamie SureWould wrote:

not worth a topic?
HIPOCRITE

Huh? I'm not following..



u started a topic about ittt after saying

" I fear it's making too many stupid people think.

That is all.. Not really worth a topic.."


One should ANALize the Poetry on page 43, when Oedipus is rollin' in his benzo and he has to bust a cap on some flagrants in the under city



http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/essay/1
user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 01:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Stupid people think about what? Something that has no significance and no consequence as to nothing? To me it just looks like a silly movie from a silly book. It just makes more stupid people.

Also, the only reason I can see that people say "the books are better than the movies" is:

A) They spent all the time reading the book and want something to show for it.
B) They gain insight into various insignificant details as to plot, etc. that were not mentioned in the movies (although few times the details are, in fact, not insignificant).

Movies aren't an easy way out - they are an efficient way in.

Another thing to note is that people are mysteriously attracted to esotericism, which I can clearly point out from Poppy's previous post. It is all very interesting, and I don't hold it against anyone...it's just something to think about.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
MDNA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 06:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=Violet>Poppy wrote:

You see.. my problem with it is.. I get really annoyed when something starts off as a book then gets made into a film and suddenly everybody's seen it and everybody starts making a massive deal about it. In my opinion books tend to be better than films and films are just the lazy peoples way out. Meh.


Totaly don't agree with this. I ahve seen many films that made me go out and read the book (Schindler's List, Silence Of The Lambs, etc) and vice versa, and both where very enjoyable, and different, experiences.
A film can never replace a book, true. But the opposite can also be true.

As for all thoese crys not to go see or read The Da Vinci Code I tell you, GO SEE IT, READ THE BOOK, and then make your own oppinion about it based on WHAT YOU KNOW, and not based on what other people think, people that, probably, haven't even bothered to read the book in the first place, just a sinopsys or book review.

As for my oppinion on this book (haven't seen the movie yet), It is a good police fiction novel based on some theories that might have some truth to them, particulaly the way that the church has disregarded the part of women.
I don't take all that is in there as abolute truth, much like any other book i read including, and I know some of you will cry out HERETIC, the Bible.

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 07:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

Stupid people think about what? Something that has no significance and no consequence as to nothing? To me it just looks like a silly movie from a silly book. It just makes more stupid people.

Also, the only reason I can see that people say "the books are better than the movies" is:

A) They spent all the time reading the book and want something to show for it.
B) They gain insight into various insignificant details as to plot, etc. that were not mentioned in the movies (although few times the details are, in fact, not insignificant).

Movies aren't an easy way out - they are an efficient way in.

Another thing to note is that people are mysteriously attracted to esotericism, which I can clearly point out from Poppy's previous post. It is all very interesting, and I don't hold it against anyone...it's just something to think about.

I completely see your point, but you seem to have missed mine. I am of the opinion that if there has been a book that has been made into a film then *usually* the book is better, it goes the same for quite a few other movies. Yes, it's nice to have something visual to see but in my opinion you enjoy the films better if you've read the book because you have a completely different degree of understanding.

"Movies aren't an easy way out - they are an efficient way in."
True, but it's easier to watch a movie than read a book, so that's what I meant.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 16:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=Violet>Poppy wrote:

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

Stupid people think about what? Something that has no significance and no consequence as to nothing? To me it just looks like a silly movie from a silly book. It just makes more stupid people.

Also, the only reason I can see that people say "the books are better than the movies" is:

A) They spent all the time reading the book and want something to show for it.
B) They gain insight into various insignificant details as to plot, etc. that were not mentioned in the movies (although few times the details are, in fact, not insignificant).

Movies aren't an easy way out - they are an efficient way in.

Another thing to note is that people are mysteriously attracted to esotericism, which I can clearly point out from Poppy's previous post. It is all very interesting, and I don't hold it against anyone...it's just something to think about.

I completely see your point, but you seem to have missed mine. I am of the opinion that if there has been a book that has been made into a film then *usually* the book is better, it goes the same for quite a few other movies. Yes, it's nice to have something visual to see but in my opinion you enjoy the films better if you've read the book because you have a completely different degree of understanding.

"Movies aren't an easy way out - they are an efficient way in."
True, but it's easier to watch a movie than read a book, so that's what I meant.


This is true, movies are easier to watch.

Also, I still am considering why books are in almost every case deemed "better" than the movie that is created from it. A few things I have come up with is that people feel loyal to the "original" of any work, particularly if they had first witnessed it (or would like to be seen as having witnessed it first); people would like something to show for the added effort of reading the books; or maybe there is just something about text that is more appealing than video.

It really is like comparing apples and oranges, however you will always note that "the book was better than the movie." This goes for mostly everyone, and it interests me, who has frequently experienced this phenomenon personally, yet has failed to be able to properly explain it.

There is also the esotericism, as more people have doubtless seen the movie than read the book (or that a large portion of the movie viewing audience will not have read the book). You will note that the same exact thing occurs with Broadway plays-turned-movies and also comic books-turned-movies.

Another thing to note is that by reading the book, one may gain a deeper insight and also a feeling of superiority to his peers upon the subject matter, mostly noted by a peer's constant reminders of "it was different in the original," or their prescient knowledge of the plot, which they would be very willing to share.

Just something to think about (or just some incoherent ramblings that one should pay no mind to).


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 16:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SONIA DORIS<br><font size=1>The Cranky wrote:

the code sucks... the idea is stupid... it's dangerous... it's ignorant... etc.


the code does not suck...da vinci did leave messages in his works

the idea is not stupid....the council of nicea DID throw out 40+ gospels that revered Mary Magdalene....this is established fact.

it's not dangerous...a Catholic Organisation that has ruled by fear of fire and brimstone for two thousand years, and suppresses facts from followers is dangerous

it's not ignorant....the templars upheld the catholic faith and protected priests and churches throughout the holyland....and when a bankrupt pope and destitute king of france decide they want to get their hands on the templars assets to liquidate themselves...they decide to try all the templars as heretics....that is fact. documented fact...also anyone who belives the entire contents of four gospels written decades after christ's death and translated over a dozen times, to be wholy accurate...is ignorant...

the simple FACT is that dan Brown took a load of established facts and made them into a very good thrilling work of fiction....it's SUPPOSED to provoke thought and discussion...and isn't it strange that in a world where we are constantly criticise fundamental muslims for being over-zealous...the catholic church turn around and behave the same "mortally-offended, this is all untrue" way?

and before you jump on me...I am a catholic...but i am open-minded to realise that much of what we are taught, and forced to belive is absolute bollocks....i will belive what i wish to believe and dismiss the rubbish...anybody who believes with blind unquestioning faith will be in for soem major disappointments


go deo na h√Čireann
Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 17:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color="red">The Audacity of Kelley wrote:

""The Da Vinci Code," Ron Howard's adaptation of Dan Brown's best-selling primer on how not to write an English sentence [...]" - Reviewer A.O. Scott, in the NYT.

Owch.


Harsh words indeed....from an American.

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 18:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I went to see the film last night and I really enjoyed it. Seriously, what is all the hype about?

And I'm a Christian, by the way.

user name user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 24 May 06, 18:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Something I have little tolerance for is bad literary style. I am assuming from that comment that this book is chock-full of it? A brilliant idea sucks if you can't put it properly into words.


Creativity can always cover for a lack of knowledge.
MDNA user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 449 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 06, 05:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color=666600>Music Man wrote:

Something I have little tolerance for is bad literary style. I am assuming from that comment that this book is chock-full of it? A brilliant idea sucks if you can't put it properly into words.


Read the book and figure it out for yourself Don't take other people's opinion as your own.

I read the Portuguese translation and I have to say that his style of writing is very captivating, it kept me glued to the page in a way I had't feelt in quite a while.

M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 06, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'll go to see it one of this days

WHO WANTS TO GO WITH ME??

I'LL BUY POPCORN ;)


...End of the Beginning...



My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker



A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Sonia Doris user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 6254 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 06, 14:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<b><font color = "crimson">Thomas Quinn wrote:

<font color="red">The Audacity of Kelley wrote:

""The Da Vinci Code," Ron Howard's adaptation of Dan Brown's best-selling primer on how not to write an English sentence [...]" - Reviewer A.O. Scott, in the NYT.

Owch.


Considering the way I've been slamming the book over the last 10 months or so, I could have said that!


I like that!! ^_^ yes yes!!! The reviewer spoke the truth! :)


2+2=5
rachael mae. user not visiting Queenzone.com
i am lush
rachael mae.
Royalty: 1489 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 06, 15:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nice post, Brenski.

I personally think the idea is actually very plausible. Jesus may have easily had a wife & children. I'm not too certain about the idea of Mary being the Holy Grail, but I guess it is possible. Until the vaults under Rosslyn Chapel can be excavated, we won't know, I guess.

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 06, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=red><b><i>M a t i a s M a y wrote:

I'll go to see it one of this days

WHO WANTS TO GO WITH ME??

I'LL BUY POPCORN ;)


I like mines sweet please not salted! Let's throw popcorn at those twats at the front. :P