Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > GREG BROOKS REPLIES - addressing the issue of whinging weirdos

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 25 May 06, 17:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hello QZ people. Greg Brooks here with some things to point out if I may...

1. Some uninformed plonker on QZ suggested something about how can I have the audacity to come to QZ asking for help. Well, I DIDN'T. I sent my request to Jen ay BM.com and one of YOU guys posted it on QZ. Not me. I didn't know it was on here until tonight.

2. Some other pleb said that the Queen Archivist should know everything about Queen, including where in the world they had a No 1 single, and when, etc. WHY? Why should I know that? Do YOU all know every detail of that nature? If you do, you are a sad git. Get a life!

3. I only mentioned 'Radio Ga Ga' as a pure example. Was it No 1 anywhere in the world? If so, where? That song and any others. Most intelligent people understood that and replied accordingly. There was no agenda for some people in QZ to find. Just a simple question, which certain simpletons made into something other than simple!!!!!! Everyone else 'got it' just fine.

4. I am only trying to make the Queen project I'm working on as interesting and informative as I possibly can. FOR WHOM??? Pink Floyd fans? Stones fanatics? UB40 collectors? No... I'm putting in 14 hour days at the moment on Queen Singles, FOR YOU PEOPLE, as well as myself. But I get waylaid by certain dick-heads who have nothing constructive to offer at all. They are neither use nor ornament... just aggravating to all the rest of us.

I'm looking into precisely who Produced each song, rather than just generically who produced each LP. I'm looking into exactly where EVERY single was issued in the world. And numerous other things... consulting with some very knowledgable Queen experts that would make some people on this site look EVEN more simple than they already do, and that's no mean feat let me tell you. It's only a minority of QZ-ers, I know - but boy are they THICK! Can't these people offer ANYTHING useful? SOMETHING useful must surely be lurking in the recesses of their empty craniums! They are supposed to be Queen fans after all. Right? They surely have more to offer than negative ill-informed whinging, or otherwise what is the point of having a site like this?

WE have been ensuring that exactly the right mix, be it a 7" edit, early fade, radio version, segueway track, etc, features where appropriate, and NOT the LP version. We want to ensure that these recordings are precisely as went out on the original vinyl. THIS has occupied me and US for many weeks, to get it right.... so that the odd pleb on QZ has the fewest possible things to whinge about, and to bore us all to death with.

This site is for QUEEN FANS, yes? How about sending me something useful, like 122 people have so far done this week, rather than complaining about trivial issues like about me having the audacity to "Come here and ask" - which i DID NOT do. Is it REALLY that gauling to ome of you that I don't know from memory EVERY Queen No 1 everywhere in on Earth? God, some people have empty lives and minds to match!

5. The QZ-er called TRS-Romania is clearly a top drawer shit-head. Why don't these people - few though they thankfully are - come and find me at the conventions, tell me their irritations to my face, rather than hiding behind this site, behind my back? Look me in the eyes when you complain, that's the least anyone should do - it's common courtesy. Why are you so utterly spineless? I've said this before, but still these creepy little crap-for-brains weirdos mouth it off on here, about me, and then hide. What do they do to BETTER the Queen catalogue and archive? Do they have any purpose to be alive, indeed? What have they ever done for Queen fans?

6. I invite ALL REAL fans to help us with good solid info and overlook the morons that only seek to hinder and whinge about nothing of any significance. Do something useful for Queen fans and for the betterment of Queen Singles, instead of your mindless feeble tittle-tattle. It is SO SO SO very boring.

GB
Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 17:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yes, well said Greg. I whole-heartedly agree. There's some right silly sods on this site - among all the good and knowledgeable folk.

By the way, Brooksie, you wrote 'ome' when you meant 'some' in your ranting monolgue.... before some dull cretin spots that and comments, because they have nothing better to do.

Yes... well done. I back you 126%, and a bit more on Mondays!!!

GB
S@turn user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 621 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

and I thought that this had to be the topic for serious discussions :):):):)

Another fantastic posting of a wonderful person!

=================

all we need is internet-blog-blog, internet bla-bla

http://saturn.queenzone.com/

===

Let's make ourself better then we were befo
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 17:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sounds like an interesting project, though the implication that a "real fan" would not dare to criticize is unnerving. Surely this whole debate would be a non-issue if GB was not so combatitive toward QZ. It seems that we hear nothing from GB until the criticism gets to a thundering level, then he comes out swinging (either here or at QOL).

Take a step back, be a more active in the community, and I'm sure the discourse would improve. Otherwise, we go on track record.

One tiny comment, however, in an effort to be constructive:

Queen Archivist wrote:

4. I am only trying to make the Queen project I'm working on as interesting and informative as I possibly can.

If so, then please explain the failure to correct certain errors in the recent edition to Queen Live. QZ has only received one side of that issue, and I'm sure that there would be many individuals more than interested in reading your comments. Otherwise, we go on track record.

DJ's the man we love the most
Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 18:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As Zeni alludes to Greg, much of the adverse opinion on this site of your 'research' stems from the fact that, had you been more forthcoming and less antagonistic to the more knowledgeable and respected members of this site, your updated version of Queen Live would have been a whole lot more accurate.

Either fairly or unfairly, the (perhaps majority) opinion amongst the more established users of this site is that despite your official position, and all the benefits that entails, the work you've produced is still below the standard of what people here could (and in fact, have) achieve, despite having none of the resources at their disposal that you have.

People here ARE willing to help you, and of course want to see great new Queen product (which for me, this new singles boxset sounds like it will be). But you don't do yourself any favours at all by only coming on here to post inflammatory comments, and by rubbishing the knowledge and opinion of anyone who happened to be born too late to appreciate Queen whilst they were around.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
Suigi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 856 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 18:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Greg, I've only been at this point for a year or three now, and I have no idea what you've done to tick off some of the people here.
I support you in your work, but I honestly feel that re-releasing and re-re-releasing songs in compilations and bonus versions of albums is a bit of a money grab, and a wayward venture.

The Queen Archives must be filled with true gems. Why can't us regular Q-Fans get something like the Freddie Mercury box, with all the spiffy demos and B-Sides and unreleased tracks and such?

Not trying to be offensive, but I'd like to hear what's in the vault eventually.

HE ROCKS US STILL.

Proud Supporter of the Queen Lives Compilation
radio_what's_new user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 542 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 18:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear Mr Brooks,

I wonder what mr. Brian May, who is known for his kind way of communicating to his fans, and who pays your salary, should think of you...You are calling people who dare to have an opinion:

-Plonkers
-pleb
-dick-heads
-Simple people
-shit head
-weirdos
-morons

You should be ashamed of yourself...I detest you.
Grow up, and learn to receive feedback. What did you expect? A statue?

Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 18:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Quote: "Greg, I've only been at this point for a year or three now, and I have no idea what you've done to tick off some of the people here."

Did you read the same post I did? Assuming that Greg really did post this, it's appalling.

I don't know much about Greg and the past relationship with Queenzone, but as a longtime Queen fan I'm disgusted with Greg's attitude toward fans displayed here. By his own accounts he's had 110 people help him out, and he comes on here and spews that garbage.

He makes a lot of good points, but the venom and lack of respect is trashy.

I'll not be buying anything with Greg Brooks name attached to it. Sorry.

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 18:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Incredible. And I thought *I* whined a lot. Hang on a minute...I do!

However, I'm going to cut-and-paste from a post I put up in 2004. I think it sums up how I feel about the subjects of re-issues, box sets, and the whole "what's-in-the-archives" thing...

Oh, I'm 34 now. Tempus Fugit, when one awaits the box sets. I'm actually frightened at the fact that I posted this TWO years ago. And now we're only getting...a SINGLES BOXSET????

Dear Greg

I'm a regular reader/infrequent poster to this site. I've been a Queen fan since the age of six, and now, while still only 32, my tastes have diversified beyond recognition, though I still have a soft spot for Their Majesties.

I know you're a busy man. I'm sure you've been hands-on with the excellent Milton Keynes DVD and CD. (And by the way, I had a copy of it on VHS from its original broadcast on the Tube (I think?) but I gotta know - just how DID you get rid of the duff vocal note on Fat Bottomed Girls??). I'm sure you've been busy with the Freddie box set all that time ago. I'm sure you've been very busy with a myriad other things, like the downloadable bootlegs on QOL.

But Greg, it's nearly Christmas.

Again.

And another Christmas is going to pass without the "definitive" box set type stuff that's been rumoured for a very long time. A VERY LONG time.

I'm not going to complain. I leave that to others on this site.

But here, can we please please please please have some idea of what these boxsets might entail, and when they might be available?

I have a couple of reasons for this.

(1) I can't wait to get my mitts on them.

(2) I'm not getting any younger, though I still do listen to Radio 1, in the privacy of my own home...

(3) While Queen's popularity is immense at the moment, it can't last forever. And for this to be a commercially viable enterprise, and ergo, worth doing, you need to get your skates on.

Truly, I am really keen to see the fruits of your labour, but doubtless if you read this when in bad form, I may only feel the vitriol and scathe of your reply.

But purty purty please - put some of us out of our misery and let us know, what we in Northern Ireland call, the craic!

Paul

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 19:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Damn, I had a comment all typed out, which was actually quite nice and not rude at all towards anybody, then I realised I dont want to be involved. That said, Mr. Brooks, I would kill for your job, you lucky bastard.

MOANZONE TWAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 422 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 19:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I just wish that with my over $100,000 worth of Queen stuff i purchased throughout the years, and going to tons of concerts, buying cd's everytime they come out (even the not so good ones, and the DVD's that have the same compilied bs), i could get something like a rare concert on DVD, or maybe something rare on cd?? Isn't it owed to all of us deticated fans that have spent more on Queen than alot of ppl make in a years time? I have no disrepect to GB, but i just wish to stress the fact that us long time Queen fans want something new and good, not the same old bullshit like another volume to Greatest Hits or Greatest Video hits! We want old concerts & Rare unlreased material, i mean come on! And i do agree that GB shouldn't be expected to know every detail about Queen's #1's, ect., i have been a Fanatic for many of years, and knew Freddie, but i still don't know every damn thing about Queen, i wasn't in the band and neither was GB, and nobody has the time to sit all day and study Queen, and devote their whole life to Queen's discography, and Chronology. Just read things throughly before responding with hate mail about someone you DO NOT know personally. I don't know GB personally, i have met him, but i don't know exactly what everyone means when they make statements! Good day all, and try to refrain from flaming me for this, i have a life, so i really could care less what you write! :)

Posted: 25 May 06, 19:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YoungStratMan wrote:

I just wish that with my over $100,000 worth of Queen stuff i purchased throughout the years, and going to tons of concerts, buying cd's everytime they come out (even the not so good ones, and the DVD's that have the same compilied bs), i could get something like a rare concert on DVD, or maybe something rare on cd?? Isn't it owed to all of us deticated fans that have spent more on Queen than alot of ppl make in a years time? I have no disrepect to GB, but i just wish to stress the fact that us long time Queen fans want something new and good, not the same old bullshit like another volume to Greatest Hits or Greatest Video hits! We want old concerts & Rare unlreased material, i mean come on! And i do agree that GB shouldn't be expected to know every detail about Queen's #1's, ect., i have been a Fanatic for many of years, and knew Freddie, but i still don't know every damn thing about Queen, i wasn't in the band and neither was GB, and nobody has the time to sit all day and study Queen, and devote their whole life to Queen's discography, and Chronology. Just read things throughly before responding with hate mail about someone you DO NOT know personally. I don't know GB personally, i have met him, but i don't know exactly what everyone means when they make statements! Good day all, and try to refrain from flaming me for this, i have a life, so i really could care less what you write! :)

I like you. :D I wont flame yah, I promise! I soo agree on wanting new stuff...damn, 100 000 on Queen, i wish I had your stuff.

Bohardy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2447 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 20:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Pretty much everyone that's posted after me is missing the point: Greg doesn't control what gets released by QP. It's not up to him.

Sure, he's had a hand in finding some of the content that's ended up on some of the relases, but there's not a great deal of point in apportioning blame or directing your vitrilo at him because the boxsets haven't been released yet.

Gullibility and credulity are considered undesirable qualities in every department of human life -- except religion.
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 20:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh dear Zeni.... you quoted Mr. Brooks. Don't you realise that everything that he typed was "Property of Queen Productions"???

I guess your screwed....

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

YoungStratMan wrote:

[SNIP]

I have no disrepect to GB, but i just wish to stress the fact that us long time Queen fans want something new and good, not the same old bullshit like another volume to Greatest Hits or Greatest Video hits! We want old concerts & Rare unlreased material, i mean come on! And i do agree that GB shouldn't be expected to know every detail about Queen's #1's, ect., i have been a Fanatic for many of years, and knew Freddie, but i still don't know every damn thing about Queen, i wasn't in the band and neither was GB, and nobody has the time to sit all day and study Queen, and devote their whole life to Queen's discography, and Chronology. Just read things throughly before responding with hate mail about someone you DO NOT know personally. I don't know GB personally, i have met him, but i don't know exactly what everyone means when they make statements! Good day all, and try to refrain from flaming me for this, i have a life, so i really could care less what you write! :)

So you'll not mind anyone responding then.

Nobody disagrees with your sentiment. Most of it anyway. But this man is probably being paid a consultancy rate to archive the Queen material.

And for what? For the personal pleasure of the remaining three members?

I doubt it.

I think some of us are just questioning the validity of - what? - at least five years on the job, and very little to show for it. This stuff isn't going to get gifted to the V&A in London. God knows we've been teased and tantalised enough about what is and isn't in the dusty archives of Queen.

I don't doubt it's a painstaking process. I don't doubt that if this guy is a professional archivist, he's working on non-Queen jobs too.

Some of us HAVE flamed Mr Brooks in a reprehensible manner. Some of us, however, have questioned just what the hell is going on over at Queen HQ.

Not all of us have managed $100,000 of expenditure on Queen. But a lot of us are very keen to shell out Freddie box-set-esque prices again for some genuinely fresh and interesting Queen material.

I don't think that it's any bad thing for Mr Brooks to know that the bar has been set high for his task.

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Pim Derks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4282 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 20:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"No... I'm putting in 14 hour days at the moment on Queen Singles, FOR YOU PEOPLE, as well as myself. But I get waylaid by certain dick-heads who have nothing constructive to offer at all. "

I'm sure you wouldn't be putting 14 hours a day in this project if you weren't generously paid for it. And that is exactly the problem: you keep asking everyone for help (for which no-one seems to get credited, regarding several stories i've heard of people correcting mistakes in Queen Live and not getting credit they deserve) while it's YOUR job and not OUR job to get this data.

I'm sure there'll be lots of people willing to help if you wouldn't call them all the things you've called fans so far. And if you give people the credit they deserve.

MOANZONE TWAT user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 422 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 21:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Good response Pim. I have several probabally unseen video's on 8mm tape, and lots of concerts that are in pristine condition video & audio that i would be willing to possibly work something out with QP, but i want some material that is from the 'Infamous, & supposed' Queen vault! I would be willing to donate a pristine copy of Hyde Park '76, only if us fans get a 70's concert on dvd in return, besides the Hyde Park if i donated it. So if you read this GB, email me, maybe QP has an interest in this? If they already have it in Pristine Quality, then release it! I know there are plenty Awesome quality Video concerts that are there because i have several.

stateside fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 632 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 21:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

hey Greg-why not come clean with the live killers info???

john pistlli
Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 25 May 06, 21:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohardy wrote:

Pretty much everyone that's posted after me is missing the point: Greg doesn't control what gets released by QP. It's not up to him.

Sure, he's had a hand in finding some of the content that's ended up on some of the relases, but there's not a great deal of point in apportioning blame or directing your vitrilo at him because the boxsets haven't been released yet.

I don't blame him for the box sets not coming out. I blame him for talking to people like shit and generally being an asshole. I really feel sorry for his wife and children, assuming he has any. God help whoever has to live with someone like that.

And if he thinks I'm going to pay for travel to and accomodation in the UK just to tell him he's an asshole to his face, he has an enormously over-inflated sense of himself. I wouldn't cross the street to pick his pocket.

Posted: 25 May 06, 21:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Faron Hyte wrote:

Bohardy wrote:

I don't blame him for the box sets not coming out. I blame him for talking to people like shit and generally being an asshole. I really feel sorry for his wife and children, assuming he has any. God help whoever has to live with someone like that.

And if he thinks I'm going to pay for travel to and accomodation in the UK just to tell him he's an asshole to his face, he has an enormously over-inflated sense of himself. I wouldn't cross the street to pick his pocket.

Oh, burn. Im not getting involved any which way, but, in the words of Fez, AH-burn!