Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Can a QUEEN ARCHIVIST Ask A Serious Question And Expect Respectful Replies?

forum rss feed
Author

Queen Archivist user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 850 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 May 06, 11:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Dear QZ-ers,

There has been a lot of bickering on QZ within the last 2 days, and during the last time I visited here - a year or so ago... and HUGE MASSES of it in between...I've just read some of it. It amazes me that some QZ-ers pass themselves off as Queen Fans. They will fire off and get nasty about the slightest thing... They are aggresive bedsit Billy No-mates types, if you ask me.

I spoke to a couple of my work colleagues about QZ, Queenonlive, BM.com, Breakthru, etc, a few other sites, and two of them said, "Don't bother with QZ because too many of them are only interested in bad feeling and moaning. You can't win with people like that - they won't listen, and they think they always know best." Words to that effect.

I genuinely think that that is a real shame. Your site does not NEED that reputation. It could have a really healthy one. There are enough good and decent people on here,very clearly, and no doubt knowledgeable (which is not evident often enough because you go off into such trivial tangents most times), but some of you are just intent upon stirring up trouble.

I would LOVE to see some really brilliant Queen threads on here - getting into the nitty gritty and heart of Queen music - something I too could get my teeth into and participate in... and my colleagues too, people who know MASSES of great things about Queen master recordings and rare mixes - stuff that only Producers and Engineers hear... things that are actually OUT THERE on LPs and CDS but which NONE of you have ever noticed... or me, by the way, until they told me. You would be staggered, but instead you get into minutia and stuff that progresses nothing.

I mean... before i said a single word on here the other day, about info on Queen worldwide No 1's (which one of YOU posted up. I didn't even ask for that or know about it), some of you got really nasty and personal. I am lazy and you feel sorry for my wife and kids, GB is a wanker and... so on and so forth - according to these people that never do anything at all to better Queen product. That was the FIRST thing they could offer!!!

WHY are these individuals tolerated. If they did not get peoples' backs up - like me, and those I work with, I would, and they would, be willing to tell you stuff that would interest you. BUT, instead, they now keep well away from QZ, and you guys and gals are really the only losers in that.

OK, it's fun for some of you to have a good personal pop at lazy Greg The no good stupid Archivist, and then i react back too, and ultimately you get NOTHING out of me... you Queen 'fans'.

There are some very spiteful people on here. I will go away now and return again in another year, probably, so it doesn't effect me either way. But myself and those I work with are happy to participate on most other sites, but NOT this one. What does that tell you?

I think if you pulled this back into shape and outed those who clearly are not real fans - they are easy to spot simply by what they write and by what they do not know... you might find that GB and other people within Queen would play ball.

Remember this... i asked you guys for help on Queen No 1's in the world, because you always complain that you never get asked about these things, by QPL or EMI. So.. when I do ask, which QPL thought was a good idea - you come back with "you lazy wanker" and "I feel sorry for his wife and kids". What do you think they made of that? It's not greatly impressive, is it.

We, I, won't ask HERE again. We will go instead to a place where people talk to other people with respect. Where they don't say "I DETEST YOU" for no reason, and where, when asked, theydo actually want to help out for the betterment of the product.

Please respond with something considered and intelligent and contructive.

Thank you

GB

GB
That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

That thread you started was seen as a personal attack by almost everyone who read it. I dont know TRS Romania but even if he did offend you, you could have been the bigger person and ignored it. Since you're now attacking minors too, dont expect to be taken seriously any time soon.

Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want

http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really don't understand why GB is getting so bent out of shape. It's just a damn notice board.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Can a QUEEN ARCHIVIST Ask A Serious Question And Expect Respectful Replies?"

Yes, you can and, in my opinion, you must ask us serious questions, since whatever someone thinks and told you about us - we have here several the best Queen experts.

If your colleagues told you don't bother about guys like John S Stuart, Mr Scully, Sebastian, Bohardy, Zeni, YourValentine, Penetration_Guru, Sir GH, Rick, Adam (both of them), Jeroen, Ron, Wilki, Harry, Darren, Niek etc. etc. etc. (sorry I don't mention a lot of other guys!) - when I'd like to know who are the Queen experts for your colleagues...

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul McCartney Junior...

What am I, a mind reader now? How the hell can I tell if someone having a go at me on this site is 15, 50 or 105?

Be reasonable man, for pity sake.

People who say nasty things, be them a minor or a pensioner, can expect people to react. I could have ignored it, yes, but instead I chose to put that particularly obnoxious individual right on a few things. Perhaps he might think twice before being so nasty to people he's never met in his life, next time? But i doubt it. And there you are defending his actions. He will learn nothing if you let him think that kind of thing is OK.

Anyway.. the point of this thread is to offer something constructive or useful. ARE YOU GOING TO Macca?

If it's going to just stay personal, you've completely missed the point. Re-read the original thread and see if you can offer Queen fans something other than another tedious go at me.

TRS, Stephan, why not do the same. Surprise everyone with something really interesting about Queen. Genuine good luck to you. You might know a ton of stuff that few people are aware of, for all I know. I'd rather hear you talking about that, than my wife or kids please.

seriously... what have you got to offer? HERE is the place for it. Go for your life!

GB
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mister GB, if it is indeed you...

You are most sincerely wasting your time. More stubborn, more determined people have tried winning arguments/changing points of view/rebuking the masses in this place and failed utterly.

I don't know why you're bothering. If QZ is a waste of time, why post here? If the 'hundreds of helpful e-mails' that you've recieved are so helpful, shouldn't you be off putting them to good use?

Look, maybe your job stresses you out, or maybe you're like me and can't stand arseholes on the internet poking fun at you, but really - give it up. It is not really worth it.

Take it eeeasy.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry.

you COMPLETELY missed the point again.

We KNOW there are GREAT EXPERTS on QZ. I said that!!! We know that.

RE-READ my point and try again.

D- for this attempt. Must try harder.

GB
bobo the chimp

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Serry.

I dunno, he basically answered your question. Your subject equates to 'can I ask a serious question and get a good answer?' or some such, and Serry basically said 'yeah, there's people here who know what they're talking about'.

If you want to bitch about the people here (like me) who aren't so worth talking to, shouldn't your thread be called "Queenzone is horrid"?
I know all about this because I once started a thread saying this place sucked.

Just... pick something to complain about and stick to it.

PS. Can you upload a copy of Face it Alone?

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12...

Can you offer anything creative about Queen?

Have you ever researched or written or unearthed ANYTHING at all about Queen that I, or others, would find interesting?

Have you?

Or... is it just snipes at me you can do???

SURELY you have more than that? No one is THAT shallow.

I've invited you to give us something of your own that is useful. Now can you rise to the challenge. Yes or no? let's see it, hear it, read it.

Shut up, or put up!

GB
bobo the chimp

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Zebonka12..."

Yes Mr. Brooks?

"Can you offer anything creative about Queen?

Have you ever researched or written or unearthed ANYTHING at all about Queen that I, or others, would find interesting?

Have you?"

I like their music.
I like *some* of the people here who I feel that perhaps unfairly, you are picking on. I also *hate* a bunch of people here. Hahaha.

"Or... is it just snipes at me you can do???"

MATE I AM NOT SNIPING AT YOU, at least not at the moment. I'm just saying - take it easy. If you hate the place so much, keep your correspondance merely e-mail related. If we're so pathetic, why would you want to respond???

"SURELY you have more than that? No one is THAT shallow."

You are making things up, look - I don't want to argue with you, you're thinking of someone else.

"I've invited you to give us something of your own that is useful. Now can you rise to the challenge. Yes or no? let's see it, hear it, read it."

This is not called "GregBrooks.com". It's QueenZone, I'm here to talk about Queen, I am freely allowed to do so until the administrator of the site tells me I can't.
I have been rather nice to you haven't I? I only made the "Property of Queen Productions" joke once, and I've only said to you 'take it easy' because I agree with you - this place can be a waste of time. I was only saying - get back to what you're good at, if you hate it here so much.

"Shut up, or put up!"

Christ... You're the archivist. Why don't *you*??

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Can a QUEEN ARCHIVIST Ask A Serious Question And Expect Respectful Replies?"

Of course he can - or should I say he could? I have not seen any serious question or post by a Queen archivist on this board. All I saw was bullying, arguing and insulting. You have a funny way to act like an internet troll and then point the finger to this board and complain.

Don't worry about this notice board. I am proud to be a part of it - genuinely nice, intelligent and funny people post here. If some of your "colleagues" do not approve (if they exist), I could not care less. On this board all people are respected the same, semi-celebrity or not. This board has been proclaimed dead so many times I lost count. But still it's the only message board where people like you can spit their rage without being edited or banned.

As to "real fans" - no fan needs your seal of approval to be a "real fan" If "real fan" means we are not allowed to voice our opinion if the "powers" don't agree, then I rather would not be a "real fan". Why do you think you are any better than anyone else here? Queen music is our hobby - we all earn our money somewhere else and we are here for fun. Apparently, you are a bit stressed out with your work, so maybe it would be better to go elsewhere for fun. However, if you want to be a part of this community and if you want to meet cool people here you are welcome like anyone else. But don't expect to be respected only because you are GB.

Mainly, you have no authority to tell people to shut up. Not even the website owner would do that.

I do not want any google ads here.

Hank H. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 738 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really can't believe what I read here.
Mr Brooks, judging by your posts, you are clearly completely unable to conduct a conversation. Sadly, there is no use in trying to explain to you why, because either you don't get it or you don't want to. Your rants were a waste of time really.
Honestly, I get the impression you suffer from a persecution complex.

"I'm a great believer in actually NOT giving people what they want"

Brian May, 11 March 05

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Paul McCartney Junior...

What am I, a mind reader now? How the hell can I tell if someone having a go at me on this site is 15, 50 or 105?

Be reasonable man, for pity sake.

You can click on the profile name

bobo the chimp

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look I'll be as understanding and as fair as I can GB.

* You say people have e-mailed you useful stuff. Can't you occupy yourself with that? Spend your time talking to those who sent it to you, etcetera?
* You say that people here (myself included) are just time-wasting punks trying to annoy you. Why talk to us?
* I myself really was just trying to defuse things. I don't think it's healthy for you to be so worked up over this crap.
* Do you realise how bad it makes QP look when they have someone who works for them (self-employed or whatever you are) who comes on a forum and tells the fans that they suck? *Hate us* if you will, but come on - be a professional about it.

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 12:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen Archivist wrote:

Serry.

I did. Answer is the same. If you want to ask us about something - let's do it. Can you expect a respect from us? Yes, you can.

But look, if you come on QZ for once during the year as you wrote few times although "We KNOW there are GREAT EXPERTS on QZ" - it's strange, isn't?

So just ask us and give us chance to ask you something too.

P.S. Just a quick example: http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=791888 - I can't give the exact answer on that question, you can - I'm sure! - so do it! And they will respect you...

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 13:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My GOD, why are you all getting your knickers in a twist (love that expression) over this!!! Everybody, including you Mr. Brooks, if that IS you, LET IT GO AND MOVE ON!!!!!! If you dont like us here, and there are no nitty gritty threads that you could sink your teeth into, the kind you apparently want, go find them somewhere else and stop caring about us. You put to much on some peoples opinion over the damn internet.

Bobby_brown user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2300 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 13:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Serry... wrote:

Queen Archivist wrote:

Serry.

I did. Answer is the same. If you want to ask us about something - let's do it. Can you expect a respect from us? Yes, you can.

But look, if you come on QZ for once during the year as you wrote few times although "We KNOW there are GREAT EXPERTS on QZ" - it's strange, isn't?

So just ask us and give us chance to ask you something too.

P.S. Just a quick example: http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=791888 - I can't give the exact answer on that question, you can - I'm sure! - so do it! And they will respect you...

I was about to ask the same question about "You´re the Only One" demo.
Let´s wait for an answer.

But there´s one think that we should try to change at queenzone, it´s the amount of hate that some people put one their replys. I´m not even talking on this particulary episode about GB and Queenzone, but since the day Queen has decided to tour with Paul Rodgers that there has been a lot of hate on this board.
Sometimes, a good thread is put to discussion but it´s indeed rare these days.

I like Queenzone, but as Greg said, some experts don´t come here because they feel it´s useless to "win" an argue on this site. Now, were´re being told this, so what are we going to do about it? Let´s try to change something, instead of that "i´m honoured to be a Queenzoner" and if you don´t like why bother to reply!?

I think the only thing these days that´s worth check on Queenzone is the sharing section, i mean God bless Queenzone for that!!- Really, we´re probably the best Queen sharing site on the Internet (that i´m aware of), but in the future if we don´t change nothing, most experts don´t even reply on this board and this will be a kids place arguing about Queen.

I really think this is a good oportunity to try to change the rules, and if Greg is on Queenzone again and is willing to answer some questions, then this can bring other real experts on this board too.

The inpression i had when this discussion started was the same as Greg, and i´m sorry to say, but i thought:
"We complain everytime about not being consulted for the queen products, and when they finally ask the fans to help, we do this..."

I really don´t know what´s behind this "war" in the first place, so, i understand that everyone has good reasons to behave like that, and i´m not judging this person ot that person!

I´m just saying - let´s change something- because it doesn´t feel good anymore.

Take care

Wiley user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1704 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 13:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Another tricky situation, right? I know that there's been some bad blood in the past between GB and Queenzone. But yes, I think the Queen Archivist can ask a serious Question over here and get respectful replies but I don't think he should be treated any different just because he is the Queen Archivist. This board, being unmoderated, can be used for many good or bad purposes. There are many good, intelligent Queen gurus over here and eventhough I think one or two of them (maybe both) could do a terrific job as Queen archivists, Greg is the official one. But we have to think about WHY do some people think so highly of these posters and so negatively about Greg Brooks.

First of all, they are always open for dialog and discussion. Those ultimate collections by John S. Stuart or the Live Killers era threads by Sir GH, or Mr Scully's extensive information about Queen's concertography were built upon knowledge and research by them with the help of other people. Serry (another reliable source and good poster) listed some of other posters which are highly regarded as knowing their Queen stuff and being always willing to discuss.

Mr. Brooks' earlier posts (I mean, back when he was GB) came out as being highly offensive to some people. This was this board's first impression of you, Mr. Brooks. You have to admit that you were not nice that time. Ever since, yes, there's been a negative preception of your attitude towards criticism. Let's not consider the usual Internet board bitching that comes and goes without moderation, in which you made the mistake to respond to.

I particulary believe that this time that you came to this board you could have been more mature and take the negative comments lightly and try to focus on the good stuff. There ARE many Queen experts here and they are not Internet trolls (that I know of) or geeks and they don't have "sad lives", they just love Queen to bits. You should concentrate on that and ignore negativity by other posters (which is, by the way, increased by the way you address them). Many of the Queen gurus over here are not posting a lot because your topics usually start as a rant and end up being a waste of space.

I really hope we could start over and get something positive about this. If I had some of the information you request I'd put it over here hoping that you could comment about it and see your perspective as Queen's official archivist. But in order to make this the bitching has to stop or maybe you can try to be the bigger man and ignore it for the sake of a good positive discussion.

The answer to your question is: "Yes, the Queen archivist can ask a serious question expect respectful answers" but only if the Queen archivist is willing to behave in a mature way. You, of all posters, have an extra responsability because you are related to Queen Productions. You can't just lower yourself and pick on other people. I'm not sure if this is the right expression, you might get the idea that you are somehow superior and you are not. Some of those replies might be justified because they insulted you in some way, but YOU HAVE TO BE THE BIGGER MAN. If you had reacted differently in the past, you would be highly respected. Just think about it, you could have recieved 1700 helpful emails, not 170.

If we are all willing to do this, we could have some very interesting discussion over here. Maybe your posts could even get their own space, if considered useful. But at the moment, sorry, they are crap.

Stop the bitching... Think!... THEN discuss. I know it's possible.

Sorry for the long post.

Wiley

Posted: 27 May 06, 13:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you want ideas for an album, first note that we are getting sick of compilations. Then maybe make a thread asking for ideas for one.

I read somewhere that a B-side album would be a good idea.

Why not make an album of songs that didnt make the previous albums?

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 27 May 06, 14:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay people... This is getting childish both ways. Come on, let's shake hands and make a brand new start.
Both parties were wrong. Some very right posts above. INCLUDING GB's post - he is right about the atmosphere on this board. This used to be a great board with a lot of expertise, creativity, wisdom and sence of humor even. And now indeed it has turned into a kindergarden with a lot of negative vibes most of the time.
Then again I also have to agree on most Wiley said.

Taking the Singels Collection box set to come: maybe we COULD try to work together. Try to make it a constructive thing - together we could come to something higher which could make both parties happier. Imagine how much fun it would be if we could manage to actually make the BEST out of the box set by working together?

Because I personally I am quite excited about the set. As a 'music'-collector I've always been critical about the content of new releases, but I think that it is great to finally get all those tracks in remastered cd-quality. (And hopefully a NEW single! Take Love anyone??)
Also as a record-collector I look forward to a hopefully beautifully packaged piece.

An idea?
Greg, are their any ideas on the packaging of the box yet?
Would it be a nice idea, if the purpose of the box set is to contain ALL Queen's singles, to include images of actually ALL those singles. But I of course mean all the different picture sleeves available. To give the whole set an 'definitive' feel.
Most images are already in QP's archives, of course. But I know that in here there would be several people that could help provide images of the REALY obscure ones.

...did I pass in trying to be upbeat and constructive... ? :-S
;-)