Forums > Personal > Need Help choosing music...

forum rss feed
Author

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 20:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I'm putting together a slideshow for my daughter's (5th grade) graduating class. It's about 200 pictures from this entire school year - classroom activities, cafeteria, plays, science fair, etc.

They're fun shots and she wanted the songs from High School Musical to play over the images. Some of those songs just won't work. They're too... well... high school.

I thought I'd use a couple of classics -
Queen - You're My Best Friend and We Are The Champions.
Beatles - With a Little Help From My Friends.

But from there, I'm stuck for songs from today that might fit for an elementary school slide-show. Any ideas?

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"School's Out!!!" lol, no seriously ummmmm.......
"Friends Will Be Friends"??????????????

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FRIENDS WILL BE FRIENDS!!!! Of course!!! Thank you!

Schools Out - lol!!

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

That guy who digs energy domes user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5020 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Devo- Uncontrollable Urge & Working in A Coalmine

Freedom of choice is what you've got

Freedom from choice is what you want

http://queen4ever.19.forumer.com/index.php
magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Paul McCartney Junior wrote:

Ummm... hmmm. I'ma gonna say, 'no'. ;-)

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hmmm....

Maybe a Kind of Magic???

All Together Now by the Beatles!!

lol Another Brick in the Wall... haha just kidding!

Stay in School Kids!

I know this maybe a stretch but how about Autumn Almanac by the Kinks???

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

magicalfreddiemercury wrote:

Paul McCartney Junior wrote:

Ummm... hmmm. I'ma gonna say, 'no'. ;-)

You could get the DEV2.0 versions if you want kids singing it

but 8 year olds singing Whip It.....thats just not right.....

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 21:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DreaminQueen wrote:

I know this maybe a stretch but how about Autumn Almanac by the Kinks???

I'll have to check into this one - I don't know it. <blushes>

This is what I have so far -

Friends Will Be Friends – QUEEN
With a Little Help from My Friends – THE BEATLES
You’re My Best Friend (Maybe too lovey for 5th graders?) – QUEEN
We’re All In This Together – HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL
Breaking Free – HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL
Do I Make You Proud – TAYLOR HICKS

I need about 30 minutes worth of music. Something the kids (and they're parents) won't mind listening to more than once... and will still appreciate in the future.

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Umm... We Will Rock You? :)
Oh, Don't Ask Me Why! Best song ever!! XD

-Things Have Changed For Me-
Penis - Vagina user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4230 posts

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 23:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

If you do use "Friends Will Be Friends" I don't recommend the regular version. The lyrics are just too gay/relationshippy/adult for a 5th grade class. There's a karaoke version which would be much better.. original Queen music, not a cheesy cover band.. and it is instrumental save for the chorus. That should work nicely.

Since we can't share anything "official" here, try checking out my profile and going to my site listed there and I think you'll find it ;)

koopa user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 01:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, since the songs will be background music for your slideshow, the parents and their kids will probably be more focused on the images they are seeing rather than trying to follow the lyrics to the songs...Unless you want them paying attention to the lyrics :D

But I just have to suggest Shine by Mr. Big. Yeah, the song is relationship-heavy, but I just find the actual music and vocals so uplifting! And besides it's really unknown here in the US, unless you've seen Hellsing. Here's a link to the video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVUl2wpipo&search=mr%20big%20shine

uhh...what else

These Are the Days of Our Lives?

Don't Stop Believin' by Journey? heh heh

YourValentine user not visiting Queenzone.com
registered July 27th 2001
YourValentine
Deity: 7611 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 04:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I have used "Local Hero" by Mark Knopfler numerous times for all kind of private films. It's instrumental which is much better as a background music and it's just "good mood" music and fits to almost everything. For a private film about Montreux I used Queen music from "The eYe" which is also instrumental but not Karaoke. If you fill 30 minutes with pop songs, it will be very tiring.

I do not want any google ads here.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

whirled peas wrote:

Since we can't share anything "official" here, try checking out my profile and going to my site listed there and I think you'll find it ;)

Kewl! :-) Thanks so much!

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

koopa wrote:

Well, since the songs will be background music for your slideshow, the parents and their kids will probably be more focused on the images they are seeing rather than trying to follow the lyrics to the songs...Unless you want them paying attention to the lyrics :D

You know what it is? With parents, even if they're not listening to the music, certain words WILL jump out at them. That's why I have to be careful. Besides, there's quite a variety of ethnic groups here (right 'off the boat')and each has its own idea of 'decent'. I have to listen to the lyrics first so that I don't offend anyone.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=330066><bold>old barrow-boy wrote:

IN MY LIFE - Beatles (Rubber Soul)
I WISH - Stevie Wonder (Songs in the key of life)
GLORY DAYS - Bruce Springsteen (Born in the USA)
ME AND JULIO DOWN BY THE SCHOOLYARD - Paul Simon

Ah, now there's a bunch I can check. Thank you!!

YourValentine wrote:

I have used "Local Hero" by Mark Knopfler numerous times for all kind of private films. It's instrumental which is much better as a background music and it's just "good mood" music and fits to almost everything. For a private film about Montreux I used Queen music from "The eYe" which is also instrumental but not Karaoke. If you fill 30 minutes with pop songs, it will be very tiring.

I'll check Local Hero, too, thank you, but I think especially for kids, pop songs - though not Britney or anyone similar <shudder> - will work with the slideshow IF they compliment the images. Slapping them on just because they're popular would make it exactly as you said. The last thing I want to do is bore or exhaust them. :-)

skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:01 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how about time? someone mentioned tatdool, which i think would be perfect....i actually have a slideshow of my friends when we were really young and i use both of those songs....theyre perfect and everytime i watch it i tear up....just a suggestion

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

magicalfreddiemercury

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skiqueen wrote:

how about time? someone mentioned tatdool, which i think would be perfect....i actually have a slideshow of my friends when we were really young and i use both of those songs....theyre perfect and everytime i watch it i tear up....just a suggestion

LOL. My Queen Fan-dom is too well known throughout the school for me to use more than one or two Queen songs. I have to mix up the music. Queen has so many songs I'd love to use, and if the slideshow were just for me, I would. Alas... not everyone else's musical taste is as refined as that of a Queen fan. :-)

What do y'all think about 'I Believe I Can Fly'?

skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skiqueen wrote:

LOL. My Queen Fan-dom is too well known throughout the school for me to use more than one or two Queen songs. I have to mix up the music. Queen has so many songs I'd love to use, and if the slideshow were just for me, I would. Alas... not everyone else's musical taste is as refined as that of a Queen fan. :-)

yeah, i was thinking about that (mixing the music). i believe i can fly is a good one, i remember watching a slideshow with that song in it and it gave me chills...use it!!!! great song

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 20:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skiqueen wrote:

Well hey, Who Doenst love Queen??? (unfortunatly, there are those who dont... GRRRGGG) but to each his own...

In My Life is an AWESOME choice...
All Together Now by the Beatles would be cute for the end since the kids are younger... Thats why TATDOOL maybe a bit much for their age, thats a great High School Grad song though... but its still a fab choice nonetheless...

heres a link for the Kinks Song i suggested... it came to mind because you were talking about science fairs and what not, i dont know how you are going to have the slideshow or what not, but if you have it in sections, then perhaps theres a way u can have AUTUMN ALMANAC for the science section...
Well these are the lyrics anyways...

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/k/kinks/autumn+almanac_20079118.html

Its available on the CD called THE STORY OF THE KINKS...

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 21:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on! USE DEVO!

Try That's Good, Peek-A-Boo or Its A Beautiful World