Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Do you think freddies songs leaned towards being gay?

forum rss feed
Author

Bambi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 22:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

In guitar ledends of august 2005 bri states that freddie needed to sing songs about songs that did not imply being gay. as body language, do queen fans think that song implies a song about being gay?

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 22:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Not really... but it can be. But it can be woman and man together, such as what's in the video.

Do you think 'Your Kind Of Lover' implies gay?
"I wanna boogie down with you brother"
"Boogie down with the bass man"
"I wanna be your kind of mother"
"We gotta talk it out man to man, make eachother understand"


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jun 06, 23:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, no not really. The only time I can remember is in Your Kind Of Lover and thats the line of "we gotta talk it out man to man!" which makes sense, because you couldnt say "we gotta talk it out woman to man" it sounds bad. I dont think he thought "ok, my songs should have gay content"

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 06:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote


not much.


though i think he line 'laughing and gay like a clown'. it's double meaning might have appealed to him.



Mariam user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 41 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Guys, are you not tired to create every day a topic with 2 words - Freddie and gay? It s like a disease. If you are so sure about it it's very strange when you repeat it every day and every time.

Fireplace user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 889 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

OMFG, Freddie was gay?????????????????

magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fireplace wrote:

OMFG, Freddie was gay?????????????????

No, silly, he was slightly mad.


"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury



skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=330066><bold>old barrow-boy wrote:

It's a hard life, Play the game, I want to break free... A lot of the songs are open for suggestion and if you want to you can find a meaning suitable to you. I am not gay, so maybe that is not what these songs mean to me.



i want to break free was written by john


"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skiqueen wrote:

<font color=330066><bold>old barrow-boy wrote:

It's a hard life, Play the game, I want to break free... A lot of the songs are open for suggestion and if you want to you can find a meaning suitable to you. I am not gay, so maybe that is not what these songs mean to me.



i want to break free was written by john


What?? I thought John was written by I wanna break free!?


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Digitube user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

:-D

This topic kinda reminds me of the interview Freddie had on the balcony of his hotelroom in Brazil with that very shy dark lady :-D
I was rolling on the floor when I first saw that one!

*Freddie looks in the camera, you can see him thinking "oh no, she really *is* stupid!" *

"...Yes...Yes I *am* the leader of the band, yes!..." LMAO!

But that lady also asks Freddie if IWTBF was about the gay world. Freddie's explanation in that interview says about it all, and - indeed - IWTBF was written by Deakie, who is a married man with a dozen children, so....

But now for something completely different!

People often speculate on what Bohemian Rhapsody is about. And I have a theory (OMG, Da Vinci Code revisited!)

Freddie was living with Mary in the early/mid-seventies, but suddenly, he broke up with her, and decided to be gay. Actually, Freddie was not gay, but bisexual, but wtf.

As Mick Rock once said, and also Mary, Freddie DECIDED to be gay at a certain point. It was a choice he made back then. That certain point was early 1975.

Could it not be that the line " Mama, I just killed a man, put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead" really is about Freddie saying to his mother " Mom, I know you disagree on homosexuality, because it's against your religion, but I just have no choice really. In your eyes I might not longer be a man, because I decided to be gay from now on, I'm sorry, but that's how it is"

The line "life has just begun, but now I've gone and throw it all away" could mean he was living together with Mary but he and Mary broke up, so he threw that away.

Well, I can go through all of Bo Rhap here, but let's not do that, that would be boring.

I know it's just speculation, and listen: I'm not sure on this, but it *could* be....

What do other people think on this?
Share please! :-)

(Oh, PS: I don't look upon people as heterosexuals or gays or bisexuals, but as people. I'm pretty damned sure that everyone on this forum thinks like that.
So screw Bush. What an asshole!)


I can make a bigger bang than that dear <-)
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Homosexuality is frowned upon by Zoroastrianism?


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Digitube user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Homosexuality is frowned upon by Zoroastrianism?


I do believe that, yes, I recollect reading that once. But of course I'm no expert on Zoroastrianism.

Nice one for scrabble! Zoroastrianism.

Freddie of course *did* know a lot about Zoroastrianism.

Also about scrabble by the way ;-)


I can make a bigger bang than that dear <-)
skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^thats a very good explanation on bo rhap


"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

Bambi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that is a good take on BORAP and many of the other songs he sings.

Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Digitube wrote:

:-D

This topic kinda reminds me of the interview Freddie had on the balcony of his hotelroom in Brazil with that very shy dark lady :-D
I was rolling on the floor when I first saw that one!

*Freddie looks in the camera, you can see him thinking "oh no, she really *is* stupid!" *

"...Yes...Yes I *am* the leader of the band, yes!..." LMAO!

But that lady also asks Freddie if IWTBF was about the gay world. Freddie's explanation in that interview says about it all, and - indeed - IWTBF was written by Deakie, who is a married man with a dozen children, so....

But now for something completely different!

People often speculate on what Bohemian Rhapsody is about. And I have a theory (OMG, Da Vinci Code revisited!)

Freddie was living with Mary in the early/mid-seventies, but suddenly, he broke up with her, and decided to be gay. Actually, Freddie was not gay, but bisexual, but wtf.

As Mick Rock once said, and also Mary, Freddie DECIDED to be gay at a certain point. It was a choice he made back then. That certain point was early 1975.

Could it not be that the line " Mama, I just killed a man, put a gun against his head, pulled my trigger, now he's dead" really is about Freddie saying to his mother " Mom, I know you disagree on homosexuality, because it's against your religion, but I just have no choice really. In your eyes I might not longer be a man, because I decided to be gay from now on, I'm sorry, but that's how it is"

The line "life has just begun, but now I've gone and throw it all away" could mean he was living together with Mary but he and Mary broke up, so he threw that away.

Well, I can go through all of Bo Rhap here, but let's not do that, that would be boring.

I know it's just speculation, and listen: I'm not sure on this, but it *could* be....

What do other people think on this?
Share please! :-)

(Oh, PS: I don't look upon people as heterosexuals or gays or bisexuals, but as people. I'm pretty damned sure that everyone on this forum thinks like that.
So screw Bush. What an asshole!)


Well said, Digitube:)

marcio17@queenzone.com user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 121 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I remember once that Brian said that frm Fat Bottomed Girls and beyond, all the four had to be concious not to give a gay meaning, because, in fact, they did not want that.

could anyone help me to change my nickname? it´s been ages since i wanted to changed it, but everytime i did it, my computer says there´s a problem with a macros algorythm.

Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about the song, "Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy?"

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the great thing about modern relationship-related songs...ie those about love/sex/attraction/not getting any....is...
ambiguity!!!
if you leave out the sex of the target audience ie you don't say he/she or you say both in a song...then it appeals to both sexes equally in the above contexts

some examples of queen songs that are neither (or both) male/female:-

somebody to love
you're my best friend
don't stop me now
...and of course...good old fashioned loverboy


go deo na h√Čireann
Daniel Nester user not visiting Queenzone.com
Daniel Nester
Bohemian: 733 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love how someone puts it here: "decides to be gay."

Awesome.

Today I am going to "decide" to be straight, tall, and have blue eyes.

D


God Save My Queen and God Save My Queen II | Soft Skull Press | http://www.danielnester.com
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 13:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Perhaps that person meant that Freddie decided to come out?


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]