Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The Hero high notes...

forum rss feed
Author

theCro user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1056 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 05:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was wondering if the hero, original studio song is real or ... i mean, how HIGH can human being sing... is this for real Freddie voice or a bit modified, or edited... its too freeking HIGH!!!

Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 05:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think they did the same with Another One Bites The Dust. Yes, it's high and it doesn't sound like Freddie's natural voice. I think they highered the pitch a little.

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6327 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 08:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bites The Dust is raised by a half-step only. I doubt Hero is speeded up. He really could sing that high, or even more.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Queen T user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 670 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ummmmmm...have you not heard his solo album...particularly Exercises in Free Love? Also, listen to his duet album with Montserrat Caballe...

Digitube user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen T wrote:

Ummmmmm...have you not heard his solo album...particularly Exercises in Free Love? Also, listen to his duet album with Montserrat Caballe...

YES, but he sang that one with his falset-voice, and that makes a huge difference.

The Hero and AOBTD are sung with the midrange-voice (don't know how to call it exactly) but Exercises in Free Love is a lot easier to sing than AOBTD!

I sang both, or, must I say, tried both.
EIFL was no problem, AOBTD nearly killed me and was a huge problem! :-S

I personally don't think The Hero was pitched. Freddie just really could sing that high.
And what to think of In My Defence?!? There are some reeaaally high notes in there, also non-falset! And than also considering that the vocaltrack on In My Defence was a first take! :-|

But notice: during live-performances, even Freddie himself could not copy his "album-voice".
The live-version of AOBTD is indeed half a tone down from the original, but maybe better to say that the studio version is a half tone UP, on that one, The Red is tuned in F, while a guitar always is tuned in E (wich is a half-tone difference, hello, you still there? :-P)

On stage, even Freddie could not do the high vocals as on the studioversion of AOBTD.
When I covered AOBTD some months ago, I also sang at the "live-pitch"

The studioversion is MENACE! :-|

But pitching? In the studio? Freddie? Neh.
Don't think so. Working in a studio is my job actually, and pitching makes a very audible difference in the colour of the voice, wich I don't seem to hear in AOBTD.

Or does anybody else? Because, hey, I'm not always right of course... ;-)

I can make a bigger bang than that dear <-)
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What about that high note in Under Pressure?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 10:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

What about that high note in Under Pressure?

Also very interesting indeed!

That note CAN be done! Though it does require superb voice technique. But hey....we're talking about Freddie here.

Don't know what that guy did in a studio :-|
Maybe people are going to kill me for this, but I *think* Freddie might have used "the white stuff" a looooot in Musicland, Townhouse, Record Plant, Mountain Studio's, etc etc?....

Sebastian

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:14 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> But notice: during live-performances, even Freddie himself could not copy his "album-voice".

I think Fred was a studio singer rather than a live one. Don't get me wrong, he sounded well live, but in the studio he took it to another level, also when he multi-tracked his own harmonies.

> The live-version of AOBTD is indeed half a tone down from the original, but maybe better to say that the studio version is a half tone UP, on that one, The Red is tuned in F, while a guitar always is tuned in E (wich is a half-tone difference, hello, you still there? :-P)

No, it IS speeded up. They recorded it in Em, then they speeded up the tape half a tone. Still the notes Fred reached were quite high.

> pitching makes a very audible difference in the colour of the voice, wich I don't seem to hear in AOBTD.

When you raise or lower half a tone the difference isn't so noticeable. When you varispeed a tone or more it does get the chimpunk effect (or the Darth Vader one if you're lowering).

> What about that high note in Under Pressure?

Not pitched, but falsetto. Fred sang the same note in several other songs, like All God's People and Great King Rat.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Digitube wrote:

Queen T wrote:

YES, but he sang that one with his falset-voice, and that makes a huge difference.

The Hero and AOBTD are sung with the midrange-voice (don't know how to call it exactly) but Exercises in Free Love is a lot easier to sing than AOBTD!

I sang both, or, must I say, tried both.
EIFL was no problem, AOBTD nearly killed me and was a huge problem! :-S

I personally don't think The Hero was pitched. Freddie just really could sing that high.
And what to think of In My Defence?!? There are some reeaaally high notes in there, also non-falset! And than also considering that the vocaltrack on In My Defence was a first take! :-|

But notice: during live-performances, even Freddie himself could not copy his "album-voice".
The live-version of AOBTD is indeed half a tone down from the original, but maybe better to say that the studio version is a half tone UP, on that one, The Red is tuned in F, while a guitar always is tuned in E (wich is a half-tone difference, hello, you still there? :-P)

On stage, even Freddie could not do the high vocals as on the studioversion of AOBTD.
When I covered AOBTD some months ago, I also sang at the "live-pitch"

The studioversion is MENACE! :-|

But pitching? In the studio? Freddie? Neh.
Don't think so. Working in a studio is my job actually, and pitching makes a very audible difference in the colour of the voice, wich I don't seem to hear in AOBTD.

Or does anybody else? Because, hey, I'm not always right of course... ;-)

Wow! Nice explanation on Freddie's voice, dude. Freddie may have had a raspy, gruff sort of voice in the mid '80s, but hey, even when he was suffering from AIDS he sang at his best while recording "The Miracle" and "Innuendo."

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

I think Fred was a studio singer rather than a live one. Don't get me wrong, he sounded well live, but in the studio he took it to another level, also when he multi-tracked his own harmonies.

I agree. As great a showman as Freddie was, his studio vocals are what really made him something special.

Farlander user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 662 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oops - double post.

Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Farlander wrote:

Oops - double post.

It's okay, many of us do that...even I do, too.

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 11:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Yes, I fully agree on that. Of course, in the studio, you can do a certain part over and over again. You can also break the song in different portions, and create 2 or 3 voxtracks, wich can be bounced back to 1 voxtrack. Did that trick myself once or twice ;-)

And yes, Fred's multitracks are BRILL!

> The live-version of AOBTD is indeed half a tone down from the original, but maybe better to say that the studio version is a half tone UP, on that one, The Red is tuned in F, while a guitar always is tuned in E (wich is a half-tone difference, hello, you still there? :-P)

No, it IS speeded up. They recorded it in Em, then they speeded up the tape half a tone. Still the notes Fred reached were quite high.

>Okay, if you say so, I trust you upon having a reliable source to verify that one. I remember a website giving inside info on several queenrecordings, but lost track of that accidently :-(

> pitching makes a very audible difference in the colour of the voice, wich I don't seem to hear in AOBTD.

When you raise or lower half a tone the difference isn't so noticeable. When you varispeed a tone or more it does get the chimpunk effect (or the Darth Vader one if you're lowering).

> Hmmm. Maybe you're right. I once did varipitch with a tone, and it sounded. I never tried pitching a halftone myself, so I guess you might be right.

> What about that high note in Under Pressure?

Not pitched, but falsetto. Fred sang the same note in several other songs, like All God's People and Great King Rat.

You mean the long "we're" as in " weeeeeeeeee're all God's peopleeee" I presume? Hmmm... Yup. I just listened to it, I agree on that being a falsetto also.

In my opinion, in Under Pressure, Freddie starts off with a non-falsetto, but slowly goes into a falsetto during the note.

Great voice-technique here!

(Don't try that at home folks! :-P)

Sebastian, you also have a musical background? Reading your posts, I do believe you have.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 12:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, about the falsetto in Under Pressure. Doesn't it take a lot of skill to smoothly go from your normal voice to falsetto?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Sebastian

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> Of course, in the studio, you can do a certain part over and over again.

Otoh, some people tend to work better when they see the audience. That's not Fred's case (imo). He might be a great showman, but as singer he wasn't half as good as he was in the studio.

> In my opinion, in Under Pressure, Freddie starts off with a non-falsetto, but slowly goes into a falsetto during the note.

Yes.

> Sebastian, you also have a musical background? Reading your posts, I do believe you have.

Yes I do. Actually I give some music lessons to complete the income (struggling writers don't earn enough).

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I found this on Brian's site concerning AOBTD:

Richare Wong asked Brian if Freddie's vocals were speeded up on Another One Bites the dust, or whether he really as hitting those top notes - in real life....

"No speed changes were used ... Freddie just tore his throat to bits! He had such pride!! On a good night he did hit those top notes live too ... it depended on how much he was pacing himself that night.

He went even further in the studio later on .... for instance "The Show Must Go On" ... I demo'd the lines using falsetto .... he went for it ALL full voice. Amazing."

b

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 13:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Wonderful, a discussion about Freddie's voice! :D

I recall that after Brian wrote that at his site, he might have conceded that it was slightly pitch shifted, if only slightly. It can't have been a big adjustment, because he still sounds normal to me.

I'd readily agree that Freddie was 'better' in studio, but there are live versions of songs that are pretty much faithful to the studio versions - usually the stuff like Tie Your Mother Down. People crap on the Earls Court show for being 'pitchy' (yeah whatever haha) but there's some moments in that which could've been studio outtakes, muahaha.

While we're on the subject of his voice, I don't think I'll ever settle on a favourite 'era'. I find something to like about each period of his career - even on tracks like You Don't Fool Me, where frankly to me he sounds ill, he's still got 'it', whatever that means.

NUNO BETTENCOURT: (to Brian May) You are an underrated singer.
BRIAN MAY: Me? No.
NUNO: Yes.

Haha, I've got that magazine if anyone ever wants to read the interview. Hahah.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
drwinston user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 153 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 14:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Yeah, I think Brian did admit later that it AOBTD was pitch shifted. Still a great performance, though, and one that ANYBODY would have a lot of difficulty in duplicating live.

Sebastian

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 16:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian said it wasn't speeded up but then he was proven wrong. I love when that happens :D

JeroenG user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 334 posts

Posted: 07 Jun 06, 17:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Come on, AOBTD was pitched up a little indeed, but it's not enough to say that it was really 'speeded up' a lot. It's only one bloody semitone.
My Off-The-Record sheetmusic says: "recording sounds one semitone higher". It is written in E, so it sounds in F...
Voila, that's all.

Still, I wonder why it was pitched one semitone in the first place. And were all tracks pitched up, or were only all instrumental tracks pitched up one semitone befóre Freddie put down his vocals? Could be a possibility too....