Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Freddie's solo albums are actually quite good

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was surprised to hear a lot of people saying that they felt that Freddie Mercury solo albums are not as good as Queen albums. I totally have to disagree. With the exception of "Body Language" and "Don't Try Suicide", Freddie never wrote a song that did not have a nice meoldy. And that statement applies to his solo songs as well as to songs written while in Queen.

In terms of the "Mr. Bad Guy" album, to me it sounds a lot like "The Works" and "Hot Space", which, according to most people, are not Queen's stongest albums anyway. On the other hand, I don't think that it is any better or worse than these other two Queen albums. Like "The Works" and "Hot Space", "Mr. Bad Guy" also has a weird 80s sound. But the melodies are there. Furthermore, as far as I am concerned, the "Barcelona" album is the only really good solo album from any of the Queen members. After all, if you can get used to the unusual convention of a rock singer and opera singer together (which does take some time), it is quite original. On the other hand, Brian May's solo stuff is just plain boring and depressing. Although I see the spirit of Queen in Freddie's solo albums, which are fun and original, I don't see it as much with Brian.

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 00:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree with most of what your saying, but I actually like don't try suicide. I agree that brians solo stuff is unoriginal and boring, and I like a lot of freddie solo stuff. Man made paradise is one of his best, and barcelona is simply one of the most original and creative albums I'v ever heard, it's right along side my favorite queen albums. I sound like a broken record with this, but I can't express how much I love barcelona.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mike hunt wrote:

I sound like a broken record with this, but I can't express how much I love barcelona.

You'll have no complaints from me. :)

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 00:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

oops. I had double posted.

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
Going Back user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 483 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 05:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well for me freddie solo albums are exellent, don't care what others think, if you listen a song then you've got to get to the songs heart and i found in every song something special and i just love mr bad guy.

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 05:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fat Queen Pig wrote:

Furthermore, as far as I am concerned, the "Barcelona" album is the only really good solo album from any of the Queen members. After all, if you can get used to the unusual convention of a rock singer and opera singer together (which does take some time), it is quite original. On the other hand, Brian May's solo stuff is just plain boring and depressing. Although I see the spirit of Queen in Freddie's solo albums, which are fun and original, I don't see it as much with Brian.

ever heard of some dude named Roger Taylor? He made 7 solo albums (including the Cross' albums) of which i consider 5 to be great. Queen was more than Fred and Bri, you know...

JWS3 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 19 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 06:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=330066><bold>old barrow-boy wrote:

Which of Roger's would you recommend to start with? I have nothing of his solo stuff.

Roger's albums are all worth listening to, but MY favourites are - Happiness?, Strange Frontier, Blue Rock, Mad Bad and Dangerous To Know, Electric Fire, Fun In Space and Shove It.
Each album has some classic tracks on them, but I think Happiness is his best so far.

This world has only one sweet moment set aside for us
mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 06:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I personally think rogers solo stuff is boring. A few good songs, but they get old fast. I have electric fire, hapiness?...the cross stuff was just plain horrible.

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 06:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ahppiness is my number one. Blue Rock is awesome as well

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 07:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WHat! Who suggested Freddie's solo stuff wasnt good! I LOVE Barcelona, its completely Epic. The Golden Boy, How Can I Go On, and Barcelona (song) are all so amazing, I love them! For anybody to suggest this album was bad, well, they need to get their ears checked.

Ah, Mr. Bad Guy, I quite like this one! I love Man Made Paradise, Foolin Around, and most especially I LOVE Your Kind Of Lover. One of my favourites. Freddie's solo stuff was great!

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 08:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian's solo stuff is pretty good at times, pull the wool out of your ears! :P

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 08:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

WHat! Who suggested Freddie's solo stuff wasnt good! I LOVE Barcelona, its completely Epic. The Golden Boy, How Can I Go On, and Barcelona (song) are all so amazing, I love them! For anybody to suggest this album was bad, well, they need to get their ears checked.

Mayb you should get your eyes checked. No-one in this topic suggested Barcelona was a bad album...

bgordon88 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 80 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr Bad Guy was a 3/5. It was done at a time when Freddie 's songwriting was not at it's best.
Imagine if he had done a solo album in 1976 now that would have been something.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 09:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I agree that a Fred solo album in the 70s would have been exceptional. Personally I rate Barcelona, Brian's solo albums and Electric Fire over any Queen album.

Back To The Light has a better drummer than any Queen thing, and a better guitarist :)

Barcelona has two better singers than any Queen album, and a much better pianist.

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 09:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sebastian wrote:

Back To The Light has a better drummer than any Queen thing, and a better guitarist :)

there isheavy use of a drummachine on BTTL (Driven by you, Last horizon). Do you prefer that over Roger's drumming on a Queen album?

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 10:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, it's great to hear that Old-barrow boy is listeneing to "Mr. Bad Guy" again after all the years of dust. OK, maybe Freddie was doing a little too much coke at the time, but it is a fun album with good songs on it.
In terms of criticism, I guess that I never really heard people on this site criticize "Barcelona". I only heard criticisms of how "Mr. Bad Guy" was not that great album of an album, and I disagreed.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 10:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

> there isheavy use of a drummachine on BTTL (Driven by you, Last horizon). Do you prefer that over Roger's drumming on a Queen album?

No, but I do prefer the drumming on Love Token, Resurrection or Nothin' But Blue over anything Roger did (even though I still think Roger was the best instrumentalist of Queen).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Mr Faron Hyte user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 565 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Mr. Bad Guy suffers badly from a dated 80s production sound. Some good songs with a lot of potential (as MIH and some remixes prove), but as they are on the album, most of them sound like demos. Barcelona, however, is brill.

Back to the Light is very good; Another World sounds phoned in. Fun in Space and Happiness are Roger's best; Electric Fire is good; I never cared for Strange Frontier beyond the first 3 tracks. The Cross stuff is generally pretty mediocre-to-bad, especially the first album. Mad, Bad, etc, was okay but not terrific. I do wish New Dark Ages had been a Queen song.

louvox user not visiting Queenzone.com
Make mine a double
louvox
Bohemian: 385 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 17:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I couldn’t disagree more. Freddie’s “Bad guy” sound like what exactly it is, a crapy disco album. Totally unoriginal and boring.
Louis

Louis

A soul for sale or rent

www.tightroperocks.com

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 08 Jun 06, 20:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ayreon wrote:

WhatMustHeThink wrote:

Mayb you should get your eyes checked. No-one in this topic suggested Barcelona was a bad album...

Oh, i know nobody in this thread, I meant that the first poster saif "I dont know why some people say Freddie's solo albums were bad..." so I assumed somebody said that in a different thread, etc...