Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Where does Roger rank?

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 12 Jun 06, 20:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As a drummer, where would you put Roger Taylor amongst the greatest? The popular choice of greatest always seems to be Neil Pert(spelling?) of Rush. I admit he's amazing as hell, but this past year's tour has made me feel comfortable putting Roger as my top choice. Who are the drum gods? I'm no expert, but here's my list:

1. Roger Taylor
2. John Bonham
3. Tony Thompson(The Power Station)
4. Budgie(Siouxsie + Banshees, The Creatures)
5. Rick Allen(with 2 arms, still amazing with 1)
6. Roger Taylor(Duran Duran)
7. Cozy Powell
8. drummer for White Lion
9. Lars Ulrich
10. Will Calhoun(Living Colour)

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 12 Jun 06, 21:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger's top for me but so is Keith Moon also...Cozy Powel ROCKS!

mike hunt user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2770 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 03:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that's a good question, Where does Mr Talyor rank among rock drummers?...In my opinion, neil peart, keith moon and some others are better. Roger is probably is in the top 20.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 04:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is always a tough one, Roger is my favorite drummer, but that is more to do with his flare and style than ablility. He would always be at the top of my favorite list, but if you want to go by technical ability, the list might go like this;

Buddy Rich
Gene Krupa
Steve Gadd
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Ginger Baker
Ed Shaugnessy
Terry Bozzio
John Blackwell
Roger Taylor
Thomas Lang
Carter Beauford
Kenny Arnoff
Stewart Copeland
Phil Collins
Liberty De Vito
Steve Ferrone
Cozy Powell
Keith Moon
Peter Erskine

Of course this is just personal, who the hell can really judge.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
M a t i a s M a y user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1932 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 04:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger rules

and rocks

really rocks

CAPO ROGER EE

CAPO CAPO

...End of the Beginning...

My Mystical Flog ---> http://www.fotolog.com/woodywoodbecker

A Clockwork World, my blog ---> http://aclockworkworld.blogspot.com
Opera user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 25 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 04:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Where is IAN PAICE????????????

The show must go on!!!
Togg

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 05:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well true he could be in there , however apart from his one handed roll, I have never felt he was one of the greats, but as I say there are many that could be argued have a place.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
Rick user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4796 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 05:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I add Simon Philips and Jeff Porcaro to that list (both from Toto).

John: "It's the one thing I wish I could do - sing."

Mr Fred user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 05:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This is such a studip topic. Those that are the best is seriously not in the "mainstream" world, as queen, rush, zeppelin and the other. And on the other hand, you have to think of how well the drummer fits into the music the group play. Charlie Watts in the Stones will never end up on such a list, but he's doing a great job, beacuse he does what he needs to to. But if you would put Charlie into Queen, it would not be a good choice. It wouldn't be queen, as rogers style is so much a part of the queen sound. The opposite off course too.
When I hear some concerts on my school (music University) I hear drummers that do things roger only can dream of doing, but it isn't fair to compare, as I said. People do different things....

and what about this guy... can you compare him with roger or... no they do differnt things...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1887293651082720270

John 3:16.....
FreMe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2329 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 06:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The only drummers I know is Phil Collins, and good old lesbian Roger :p

O_o
Togg

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This topic could go on and on, and frankly no one would be right, it all depends on how you rank them, ablility, style, songmanship, for example, Keith Moon was a great showman, he had a style all his own, he was lousy at keeping time, and really only had one fill that he played forwards backwards and sideways, but basically always the same. Technically he could do very little compared to the early greats like Buddy Rich, yet he had a way of captivating the crowd.

Neil Peart is now doubt one of the greats, and techically he plays probably the most accurately it is possible to play, however the song itself suffers as a result of his desire to overplay everything (IMO)

At the end of the day all you can really do is list your own personal fav, it's the same argument as the best guitarist on, Is Brian better than Eric, well no they are just different, each masters of there own style

Bob-Plant user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 08:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Roger is most definately under-rated here in the States. If one wants to rate the best drummers ever, in rock only (no jazz/big band/funk etc), it would seem neccessary to consider 1)ability 2)contributions to his band/songs 3) Influence on other drummers. Using that criteria, I would say John Bonham would have to be considered the best ever. Neil Peart is, hands down, the best technical drummer in rock history-there can be no debate there. But my guess is most people who love Queen probably like Zeppelin too and if that is true, everyone probably knows just how much John Bonham contributed to the songs (hence they never regrouped because no one could contribute the way he did). Roger should place pretty high on this list because he actually is very original. Also, he is probably the only drummer in the top twenty that also sings, both back up and lead, while he plays-that alone is impressive. If you don't agree, try it sometime...

"The things you have to do for money..."
Ready_Coddie user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 198 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 08:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sasha...

Roger is ranked 55 in that list

Freddie Mercury

*** 1946 - Forever in our hearts ***
bonnzzo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 45 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 10:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

As far as talented and best overall drummer, I would put Roger in front of Phil Collins by a short margin. If you account ability, song writing, singing. Bonham is my favorite drummer, due to the fact that Zeppelin are so dear to me and to everyone else who picked up a instrument since ‘69 and played rock and roll. But when you start talking about just drumming and not singing you have to take into consideration that you are comparing apples and oranges. Unless you put Neal Peart into ZEP or put Bonham into RUSH you can’t compare them. Don’t forget Dave Weckel, Carter Buford, Alan White (Listen to early YES, the stuff he does in extraordinary), Ron Tutt (elvis’s drummer) to name a few.

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 11:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bonnzzo-that's a very valid point. Neil Peart and John Bonham are my two favorite drummers-but neither one would have been as good if in each others band. I would say the main difference between them is Neil is a everything-including-the-kitchen-sink kind of drummer. Bonzo was more of bare-bones style (one snare, two toms, base drum and a couple symbles and he could sound better than any drummer with a huge set). If I was starting a band, I would take Bonham over Peart, but just barely. Speaking of huge drum sets, and I have nothing against Kiss, but it always pissed me off that someone like Peter Criss had a huge, beautiful drum set, yet he really was a pretty shitty drummer for the most part.

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 12:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

A quick Peter Criss story, in case you didn’t know in the late 70’s the members of KISS, in order to get all there frustration out as far as wanting to go solo, agreed to all record there own solo albums. Peter wrote his with his friend/producer (I forgot his name). But they did the album. And they went on to write songs together into the 90’s. But the point of the story is when KISS went into the studio to record there next album, DYNASTY, Gene got that guy to produce THAT record and THAT guy told gene that Peter Criss should not be the drummer on that album due to his lack of skills. He only recored 1 track on the album. Long story short….I never understood everybody’s fascination with Peter Criss, I mean I like KISS but as drummers go, he was so simple it was comical…

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 12:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I know we are all Queen fans here and this is not a KISS Forum...sorry I got carried away

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I heard that story about Peter Criss too. I think it was the producer Vinnie Poncia that didn't think Peter's drumming was up to snuff. I think they ended up using Anton Fig, the drummer who's now on Late Night with David Letterman. But you're right...back to Queen and Roger Taylor's drumming.

chauncey user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 69 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 20:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh my Fucking God!
Did that person mention the drummer from White Lion??????

Are you ready to rock, are you ready to roll, okay let's do it! -F. Mercury
Kelsieluvsducks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 20:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I cant choose between Joey Kramer(splling?) Ringo Starr, and Roger.