Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Do we really know that Brian wrote "The Show Must Go On"?

forum rss feed
Author

Freddie's #1 Fan Forever user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 386 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 13:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Although it is credited to "Queen", Brian often claims that he wrote "The Show Must Go On". But Scott Mercury also pointed out that Brian had a tendency to greatly downplay Freddie's contributions on the "Innuendo" album. My question is whether we really know that Brian was the sole author. After all, I heard that the melody came from something that Freddie and John had previously been working on, and that Freddie definitely wrote the first verse. Is it possible that it really was more of a group effort, but that Brian figures that he can grab credit for it? Just curious about your opinions here.

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 13:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What are your opinions on this topic?

Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 13:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Main sequence came from Roger and John. Freddie worked on lyrics. This is what Brian HIMSELF said many times.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

And Brian wrote "My soul is painted like wings of butterflies, fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die, I can fly, my friends!"

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
teleman user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 740 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fat Queen Pig (aka bitch4freddie aka tiffmoab aka Zarathustra II wrote:

Although it is credited to "Queen", Brian often claims that he wrote "The Show Must Go On". But Scott Mercury also pointed out that Brian had a tendency to greatly downplay Freddie's contributions on the "Innuendo" album. My question is whether we really know that Brian was the sole author. After all, I heard that the melody came from something that Freddie and John had previously been working on, and that Freddie definitely wrote the first verse. Is it possible that it really was more of a group effort, but that Brian figures that he can grab credit for it? Just curious about your opinions here.

Fat Queen Pig (aka bitch4freddie aka tiffmoab aka Zarathustra II) wrote:

My opinion on the topic is that the topic starter is setting up another Brian bashing smear campaign spreading malicious untruths and making baseless accusations.

Fat Pig let us know what you really think of Brian.
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=666597
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=688175
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=671719
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=633028

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Here we go again...

Sherwood Forest user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3547 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

teleman wrote:

Fat Queen Pig (aka bitch4freddie aka tiffmoab aka Zarathustra II wrote:

Fat Queen Pig (aka bitch4freddie aka tiffmoab aka Zarathustra II) wrote:

My opinion on the topic is that the topic starter is setting up another Brian bashing smear campaign spreading malicious untruths and making baseless accusations.

Fat Pig let us know what you really think of Brian.
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=666597
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=688175
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=671719
http://www.queenzone.com/queenzone/forumnew/forum_topic_view.aspx?Q=633028>

i think that it was wise of you to bring this to everyone elses attention, thank you!

it was electric7 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 709 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

HAHAHA your like a Brian critiquer.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian was the main writer but not the sole writer. Show Must Go On is probably the only song that is actually written by Queen (with Freddie having the least input).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
FreMe user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2329 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 15:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

And Brian wrote "My soul is painted like wings of butterflies, fairy tales of yesterday will grow but never die, I can fly, my friends!"

Oh god, this is one of my favorite Queen lyrics ever!!!

O_o

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 18:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, no one except, Sebastian and Teleman really gave any kind of answer to the question. Do you think that it is a Queen song or a Brian May song? If Brian admits that John and Roger wrote substantial parts of it, why do you think that he lists it as one of his songs in his biographies? My guess is that there really is not enough documentation to be able to tell. However, I do not think that it is right for Brian to list it as one of his songs. After all, the song is credited to Queen as a group, and even if Freddie did contribute a lot to it, he would not be there if Brian suddenly tried to change the credits.

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 19:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Show Must Go On changed my life

its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 19:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

it was electric7 wrote:

The Show Must Go On changed my life

WOW! I won't ask how...but that sounds like WOW... =)

Bohemian Rhapsody is what I first saw of Queen it's what got me in to Queen...Bohemian Rhapsody is *very* special to me.

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 19:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What i've read Brian say is that he wrote the lyrics, I dont ever remember him claiming to be the sole writer of the song.

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 20:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The first Queen videos/ songs I've ever seen were Bo Rhap and The Show Must Go On and when I saw those I fell in love =)

Kelsieluvsducks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 6 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 21:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, I can understand Brian doing these things, coz when your in a band the singer gets ALOT of the credit, and if your in a interveiw on your own and not for your band then some1 asks a question about your band it could get anoying. I guess what I mean is that if you have been in a band since(spling?) you were 20 or whenever it was he joined, and for how many years it been about the band you could get quite sick of it. Sorry if I efended any1. This is just my opinoin. Sorry about the spelling too.

Sebastian user not visiting Queenzone.com
Sebastian
Deity: 6326 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 21:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian hasn't listed it as "his" song, although it is true that he gradually claims more and more of the credit to himself. He even said that they worked on it as a team leaving their egos outside of the room.

Dr May was indeed the main writer (he did contribute more than Roger, John or Freddie) but not the sole writer (he didn't contribute as much as the combination of Roger, John and Freddie).

John hated HS. Fred's fave singer was not PR. Roger didn't compose 'Innuendo.' Witness testimonies are often inaccurate. Scotland's not in England. 'Bo Rhap' hasn't got 180 voices.
Justice user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 46 posts

Posted: 13 Jun 06, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fat Queen Pig wrote:

Fat Queen Pig, your presence on this planet offends me. Kindly jump off something high and take your bullshit troll attempts with you.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 02:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You answered your own question when you said Freddie wrote the first verse. Obviously Brian didn't write the whole song if Freddie wrote the first verse.

Togg user not visiting Queenzone.com
Togg
Deity: 2390 posts

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 03:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fat pig Queen clearly has an axe to grind when it comes to Brian so anything said needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

It is clearly documented that it was mainly Brian with imput from the others, if he said he wrote it then he did. nuff said.

"It is better to sit in silence and have people think you're a fool, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt"