Forums > Queen - General Discussion > What do you think of the Larry Lurex tracks?

forum rss feed
Author

ilvcats user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 16:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I really like both songs. Is that Brian playing guitar on "I can hear music" ?? and I believe that Carole King and another song writer wrote both songs. "Going Back" is a great introspective song that could have almost been written by Queen. I like it.

ilvcats user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 16:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

My favorite lyric in "Going Back"

-- Live my days instead of counting my years --

My motto for life.

kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 16:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

ilvcats wrote:

I really like both songs. Is that Brian playing guitar on "I can hear music" ?? and I found it interesting that Carole King and another song writer wrote both songs. "Going Back" is a great introspective song that could have almost been written by Queen. I like it.


Um, your info is a lil shoddy. Not trying to "front you out" just stating facts. Carol King didn't write both songs, I can Hear music was a beach boys song. Both were pretty blatent covers considering the Beach boys and Dusty Springfield made Going Back famous. Brian and Roger played on the tracks. I don't think John played.

I like the vocal performances, I actually tried to tear my throat up singing that high. I came close to getting there. I have OCD and don't like to feel limited in singing, then I found out the tracks are sped up (evidence include Going back on mother love).

ilvcats user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 60 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 17:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:


Um, your info is a lil shoddy. Not trying to "front you out" just stating facts. Carol King didn't write both songs, I can Hear music was a beach boys song. Both were pretty blatent covers considering the Beach boys and Dusty Springfield made Going Back famous. Brian and Roger played on the tracks. I don't think John played.


I just checked and you are right. (Queen Lyrics: http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Arena/4268/) Carole King wrote "Going back" thought I read that she wrote both. Sorry for misinformation. Anyways, I still like the songs. :*)

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 18:04 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:

ilvcats wrote:

I really like both songs. Is that Brian playing guitar on "I can hear music" ?? and I found it interesting that Carole King and another song writer wrote both songs. "Going Back" is a great introspective song that could have almost been written by Queen. I like it.


Um, your info is a lil shoddy. Not trying to "front you out" just stating facts. Carol King didn't write both songs, I can Hear music was a beach boys song. Both were pretty blatent covers considering the Beach boys and Dusty Springfield made Going Back famous. Brian and Roger played on the tracks. I don't think John played.

I like the vocal performances, I actually tried to tear my throat up singing that high. I came close to getting there. I have OCD and don't like to feel limited in singing, then I found out the tracks are sped up (evidence include Going back on mother love).


But I Can't Hear Music wasn't actually recorded first by the Beach Boys, to telll you the truth. Common fact, but they wern't the first to record and release it.

"I Can Hear Music" (written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector, which had been a hit for The Ronettes and The Beach Boys)
Ronettes released this in 1966, Beach Boys released this in 1969.

"Going Back" (written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, which had been a hit for Dusty Springfield).


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 18:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love them love them LOVE them, very fantastic, Freddie's vocals are fricken great, even if the track is sped up, it's still great.

FriedChicken user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 10641 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 19:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the track isn't sped up


"On the first day Pim & Niek created a heavenly occupation. Pim & Niek blessed it and named it 'Loosch'."



(Genesis 1:1)
bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jun 06, 20:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i have a white label test pressing or acetate of that single...and some of the promo's and the original cover releases...i love these recordings from a to z .... very good stuff and a pitty that nothing more was ever produced by these people together... the sound is lovely, and it is so typical sixtees-sounding... the echo...the effects onthe noises and instruments... a pitty that it never got the attention it really is worthy of...


lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 06, 00:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

kdj2hot wrote:

ilvcats wrote:

I really like both songs. Is that Brian playing guitar on "I can hear music" ?? and I found it interesting that Carole King and another song writer wrote both songs. "Going Back" is a great introspective song that could have almost been written by Queen. I like it.


Um, your info is a lil shoddy. Not trying to "front you out" just stating facts. Carol King didn't write both songs, I can Hear music was a beach boys song. Both were pretty blatent covers considering the Beach boys and Dusty Springfield made Going Back famous. Brian and Roger played on the tracks. I don't think John played.

I like the vocal performances, I actually tried to tear my throat up singing that high. I came close to getting there. I have OCD and don't like to feel limited in singing, then I found out the tracks are sped up (evidence include Going back on mother love).


But I Can't Hear Music wasn't actually recorded first by the Beach Boys, to telll you the truth. Common fact, but they wern't the first to record and release it.

"I Can Hear Music" (written by Jeff Barry, Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector, which had been a hit for The Ronettes and The Beach Boys)
Ronettes released this in 1966, Beach Boys released this in 1969.

"Going Back" (written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, which had been a hit for Dusty Springfield).


Wow the ronettes? I didnt know that. You can learn new things everyday.

My Melancholy Blues user not visiting Queenzone.com
My Melancholy Blues
Royalty: 1039 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 06, 02:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love both!
Especially listening to Going Back, sometimes Freddie's beautiful singing makes me almost shed tears..


Je vais bien.

Estoy bien.
Phill the Thrill user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 228 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 15 Jun 06, 13:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I first heard them in the best quality you can get them, in the collection, its phenomenal. some of my fav tracks.

I can hear music just makes me smile, no matter where I am when i hear it. EVRYTIME

and i love the line

"Living my days instead of counting my years"., cause thats the way i started living just over a year ago.


Queen+PR Vancouver 13/04/06 anyone? Please FIND and SHARE it!
Kensington Love user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 789 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 05:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I LOOOVVVVE Going Back AND I Can Hear Music. 'I can see the world the way it used to be. A lttle bit of freedom's all we lack...so catch me if you can - I'm going back.' Just lovely;)


Hello from Rai;)



"Im not afraid to speak out and say the things I want and do the things I want,so um,I think in the end that being natural and actually genuine is what wins."-FM



R
gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 06:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

the track isn't originally speeded up. there are albums where it is speeded up but those albums are very cheap copies. on the freddie mercury solo collection, the 10 cd 2 dvd set the track is not speeded up it is as it was sang. anyway if the basis for you saying it was speeded up is listen to mother love then why couldn't that clip have been slowed down. thats not evidence of anything.

mercury20 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 22 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 17:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I like them a lot!The musicianship is stong and the young Freddie has a great natural vocal.The release came just as the first Queen album was ready for the shops but if didn't sell so Gary Glitter had no fears about the obvious pisstake.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

mercury20 wrote:

I like them a lot!The musicianship is stong and the young Freddie has a great natural vocal.The release came just as the first Queen album was ready for the shops but if didn't sell so Gary Glitter had no fears about the obvious pisstake.


Freddie was Gary Glitter's FRIEND.


"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 06, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Larry Lurex sucks! Freddie is much better at singing! :O


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 06, 14:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Larry Lurex sucks! Freddie is much better at singing! :O

Actually, Freddie Mercury credited his re-made songs under the name Larry Lurex in the late '60s early '70s.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 06, 17:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Queen_Rox<h6>We Will Rock You</h6> wrote:

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Larry Lurex sucks! Freddie is much better at singing! :O

Actually, Freddie Mercury credited his re-made songs under the name Larry Lurex in the late '60s early '70s.


Bullshit!


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]







Queen_Rox user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1572 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 06, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Queen_Rox<h6>We Will Rock You</h6> wrote:

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Larry Lurex sucks! Freddie is much better at singing! :O

Actually, Freddie Mercury credited his re-made songs under the name Larry Lurex in the late '60s early '70s.


Bullshit!


Okay, you're right, it is bullshit...I thought that was what I read somewhere. I wasn't lying, I was mistaken.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 19 Jun 06, 18:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Liar! :O


[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]



[/QUOTE]