Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Bono's views on Queen

forum rss feed
Author

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 17 Jun 06, 17:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Does anybody know what Bono thought of Queen and Freddie Mercury. I can imagine him being annoyed by their apolitical stance but perhaps having a repsect for the music?

hj
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 06, 18:00 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

He hated them and thought he could outsing the no talent wanker with the cat screeching voice and overpowering rape friendly personality, Freddie any day of the week (reference to Freddie hugging Bono at Live aid)...

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 06, 19:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:

He hated them and thought he could outsing the no talent wanker with the cat screeching voice and overpowering rape friendly personality, Freddie any day of the week (reference to Freddie hugging Bono at Live aid)...

Freddie didn't hug Bono. Freddie pinned Bono viciously against the wall and basically said "what do you think about us now?"

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Bambi user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 316 posts

Posted: 17 Jun 06, 23:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

amen.

Madman007 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 119 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 01:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bono's a douche bag... end of story. And don't try to sell me the "But he helps millions of people world wide every year. He's a saint." bit because I don't buy it. Yes, he helps create awareness but beside that he's a two faced wanker. I remember the day he was gonna sing in Italy and was saying something about raising funds for Africa (great, right?) and then spending over 1,500 dollars to fly his hat, which he just needed to have for the concert, from England to Italy. He booked a private cab for the hat from England to the airport, a first class ticket on the plane for the damn thing, and booked another cab from the airport in Italy to wherever he was... why not FedEx the damn thing over night and donate the rest of the money to charity? Or better yet... SING WITH OUT IT! It's not like it's a magical music hat which makes you sing better when you wear it! What a jackass!

P.S.- Just saw some pictures of him in People Magazine when he went to Africa, and he looked more uncomfortable than Dick Cheney at a gay wedding. Once again... two faced publicity whore. But at least his publicity creates awereness... damn him.

P.P.S.- I don't hate U2... just Bono as a person.

"The bigger the better... in everything" - Freddie
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 01:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Basically, any sentence that begins with "Bono's views" should be discounted and thrown in the bin.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 02:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Madman007 wrote:

P.S.- Just saw some pictures of him in People Magazine when he went to Africa, and he looked more uncomfortable than Dick Cheney at a gay wedding. Once again... two faced publicity whore.

Back in 1986, before Bono got to be a huge star that he is today, he and his wife spent several weeks working at an orphanage in Ethiopia. Most people don't do that unless they are actually committed to the project.

Whether you think he's a "publicity whore" or not, I figure he's done more real work for Africa than most of his critics.

DJ's the man we love the most
The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 03:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

kdj2hot wrote:

Listen to that...that's the sound of most of the respect I had for Bono flushing down the toilet.

(by the way, I may not know a hell of a lot about music, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Freddie's vocal range is WAY bigger than Bono's)

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12703 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 07:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Whether you think he's a "publicity whore" or not, I figure he's done more real work for Africa than most of his critics."

Blah blah, if he had any self respect he wouldn't go on about it. Charity is something one should do anonymously, otherwise it just becomes a pissing match of "woooh look at me I've done so much for people".

"but it doesn't take a genius to see that Freddie's vocal range is WAY bigger than Bono's"

Irrelevant... range is the last thing one would consider when comparing Freddie to Bono. Freddie just sounds better. Bono is a tad whiny for my tastes.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 07:52 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

None of you have answered my question hah hah, but some very good point shave been raised. I agree with Alan partridge that he's mentally ill. I'm a big fan of U2 because like Queen, it's anthemic but I can't stand his posturing. May I also ask if Bono really plays the guitar as well?

hj
Serry... user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 8271 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 08:46 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=lime>KillerKing840 wrote:

U2 once played We Will Rock You, so I guess they can't hate Queen completely.

But they've changed all the lyrics, except "we will rock you" lines...

Vdo28 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 59 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think there is a lot of jealousy about Bono.
Let's just stop that. I am really no fan of U2. I don't know why, but it is not my kind of music. But I think it is great that Bono is trying to make a difference even though he sometimes uses wrong methods.

Always look at the bright side of life....
Digitube user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 32 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 12:19 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

:-D

Get a Life Mr. Bono... I like the stuff U2 did in the 80's, hate the crap they did in the 90's.
Songs like sunday bloody sunday, Pride, The unforgettable fire, with or without you, where the streets have no name etc are great songs imo, but bitching on Freddie shows Bono is not a *real* star. If we compare Bono's performance on Live Aid with Freddie's performance on Live Aid...wellll... Need I say more?

Bono was struggling for the high notes, where Freddie had a marvellous voice that day and grabbed Wembley in the palm of his hand. I almost can see Freddie giggling backstage 13 july 1985 after Queen's performance, looking at Bono, saying " now how about that dear? <-) "

U2's material is easy to sing, I covered a dozen of them without difficulties. Queen songs on the contrary... :-|

It seems to me Bono was/is just very jealous. He always wanted to be the greatest showman on earth. But he may be very pleased if he ever was about to came in second.
Too bad dear :-D

Amen <-)

I can make a bigger bang than that dear <-)
kdj2hot user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 965 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 12:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The prophet's song wrote:

kdj2hot wrote:

Listen to that...that's the sound of most of the respect I had for Bono flushing down the toilet.

(by the way, I may not know a hell of a lot about music, but it doesn't take a genius to see that Freddie's vocal range is WAY bigger than Bono's)

Whoa, wait wait wait. I was joking. I know it's hard to be sarcastic over the internet but I thought I'd give it a try anyway. It wasn't serious I'm sure Bono holds a very high regard to Queen. He (like everyone else) concedes they were by far the best band at Live Aid. I know that for sure.

About his politics, meh. I don't really care. You can't ignore them though. You gotta say he's at a higher level than most garden variety celebrity activists because he was Time magazines man of the year (even if it was shared that's a big honor).

Personally I think it's a little misguided to ask for more money for Africa. They're getting a crap load of money. The problem is corrupt leaders blowing it all on luxery cars and expensive vacations and such. If he really wanted to be an activist he would do something to bring attention to that corrupt system and make sure the money gets to the people who really need it.

Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 12:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bono must die.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Maz user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 5799 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 13:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Blah blah, if he had any self respect he wouldn't go on about it. Charity is something one should do anonymously, otherwise it just becomes a pissing match of "woooh look at me I've done so much for people".

Anonymous work does not raise funds nor does it put pressure on political leaders. Under your rubric, all charity would be limited with little hope of lasting change. If someone is in a position to raise the public's consciousness, more power to them.

Blah, blah.

DJ's the man we love the most
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 14:36 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Zebonka12 wrote:

Basically, any sentence that begins with "Bono's views" should be discounted and thrown in the bin.

LMAO!!!! :O

ok.computer user not visiting Queenzone.com
ok.computer
Bohemian: 600 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 14:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, let me give it to you from a "lives-on-the-island-of-Ireland" perspective.

Generally we're pretty proud of the *band's* achievements....though at the same time, we know they're only Irish when they're in Ireland.

Musically, no band from this island has gone on to be as genuinely huge as they are. And I still think they've a few albums and at least one more tour in them.

Someone on here said "ah they're nothing special, I've covered their songs and they're really easy". So? So what? Their songs generally are simplicity epitomized. But so what? They sell massively. They are instantly recognisable.

Just like another band we know. But without the multi-layering.

Have any of you been to a U2 concert in Ireland? It's quite a spiritual experience. And yeah, I can't believe I'm writing something that wanky either. But there you go. It just *is*.

Bono may be whine-y. He may be annoying. He may even be self-promoting. Someone else wrote "why does he need to keep harping on about how much he gives to charity?" He doesn't. It is not disclosed how much Bono gives.

Did he save Africa? No. Read this to see why not: http://www.counterpunch.org/hodkinson10272005.html

But he had a go. I think if anyone reaches a position whereby they can get the ear of the scumbag politicians that run the world from the pocket of Big Business, then it is incumbent on them to at least try.

And if a short-arsed rich Irishman constantly going on about poverty in Africa bothers you, then the only advice I can give you is switch the TV off.

Anyway...I'm sure they just *loved* Queen....

"Just tryin' to have a little fun, folks..."
Champipple user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 245 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 16:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bono may be egotistical, may not be as talented as Freddie (really now who is?) and vain, but at least he's doing his best to raise awareness about Africa.

You don't have to like someone to admire them. I admire Bono because unlike 90% of everybody he's come out and said he cares about the third world and has put his name on the line with his beliefs.

I like U2 too! Not in the same way as Queen, but I'll sure miss them when they're gone.

Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 18 Jun 06, 16:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, U2 and Bono sent a salute to people at Wembley Stadium during 'The Freddie Mercury Tribute'. 'Until The End Of The World' was broadcatsed on the screens from a performance the night before in San Francisco.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]