Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Calling All Girls vid... lmao

forum rss feed
Author

FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 22:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Oh man, I just watched the Calling All Girls video for the first time in a LONG while... That video is really, really weird. But hilariously weirdly strange.

"Brian May, Freddie will."
beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 22:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I love that video!

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 22:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian comes to save the day.

I haven't watched that video in AGES.

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 23 Jun 06, 22:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Seriously, who is that chick in the video, lol

Coxy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 04:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

One of the great Queen moments, ETF up with those robots????? Its like a run up to Radio Ga Ga

John S Stuart user not visiting Queenzone.com
John S Stuart
Deity: 4178 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 07:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The video for 'Calling All Girls' (apart from appearance) has little to do with Queen.

It is a homage inspired by the 1971 George Lucas movie,'THX 1138' which was released with the tagline: 'Visit the future where love is the ultimate crime'.

Likewise 'Radio Ga Ga' is a homage to the 1927 Fritz Lang movie 'Metropolis', which was released with the tagline: 'There can be no understanding between the hands and the brain unless the heart acts as mediator'.

Both films are science-fiction/futuristic visions of forbidden love, and to steal a lyric from another 'Queen' movie, can be summed-up thematically as '...love's stronger, remember love conquers all'.

In otherwords, they all ('THX 1138', 'Metropolis', 'Highlander' and the accompanying Queen tracks/videos) thematically state that love is eternal, and that love wins through in the end.

Therefore the video for 'Calling All Girls' is both visually and thematically 'correct' - and a perfect match for the moral of the song.

If you have not yet seen 'THX 1138', why not view for yourself, and witness Lucas' Orwellian vision of the future, before his creation of 'Star Wars' (Another series of movies where '...love conquers all').

"Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make."
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 08:54 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

In otherwords, they all ('THX 1138', 'Metropolis', 'Highlander' and the accompanying Queen tracks/videos) thematically state that love is eternal, and that love wins through in the end.

Therefore the video for 'Calling All Girls' is both visually and thematically 'correct' - and a perfect match for the moral of the song.

Great info John, thanks. With all that in mind, I have to watch these videos again.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

RoHo user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 36 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 11:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It seems like I'm not the only one interested in that girl :-)

Seriously anyone who knows who is she please tell us. I think this is a great mystery to be solved by Queen fans :-) I've tried to search the internet but couldn't find anything.

"Roger Taylor playing 'We Are The Champions' with Queen... I remember all this sweat flying off his hair-he was so visual, the ultimate in cool and collected. He was rock'n'roll." T. Hawkins
The Fairy King user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Fairy King
Deity: 8686 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 12:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

RoHo wrote:

It seems like I'm not the only one interested in that girl :-)

Seriously anyone who knows who is she please tell us. I think this is a great mystery to be solved by Queen fans :-) I've tried to search the internet but couldn't find anything.

Yeh she's fine.

Killed by drones.
wesker1287 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 28 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 14:21 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEC0Dhx1agg

enjoy

John S Stuart

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

wesker1287 wrote:

enjoy

Why is it that all these newbies miss the solitary fundamental rule of this site - that we DO NOT SHARE OFFICIAL MATERIAL?

Please remove this link, before the link removes Queenzone.

Talk about being selfish.

Freya is quietly judging you. user not visiting Queenzone.com
Meh.
Freya is quietly judging you.
Deity: 5913 posts

Posted: 24 Jun 06, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

John S Stuart wrote:

wesker1287 wrote:

enjoy

Why is it that all these newbies miss the solitary fundamental rule of this site - that we DO NOT SHARE OFFICIAL MATERIAL?

Please remove this link, before the link removes Queenzone.

Talk about being selfish.

Hang on.. Let me get this straight. I thought it was okay to post links to videos, as long as the videos can't be downloaded from the links.. Please don't flame me, I have no idea about stuff like this.

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 25 Jun 06, 00:40 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It kinda reminds me of a Devo video...

John S Stuart

Posted: 25 Jun 06, 07:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

LeroyBrown11 wrote:
I don't get it, you think Queen fans would be thankful for this stuff? I can see why they get mad, but there is no need to blow your head off.

Queen fans are NOT grateful for this stuff because it is official.

First: Real fans already own the DVD.

Second: Stuff like this CAN CLOSE THIS SITE DOWN

Third: Even if it is a link - pointing to it is still breaches copyright and is AGAINST THE LAW.

Fourth: The ONLY rule in Queenzone is NO OFFICIAL...

If some idiots are willing to sacrafice the best best Queen site on the net for their own 'five minutes', I see it as a DUTY for the rest of us to politely say; 'Please remove', but as this tactic always seems to fail, then I find SHOUTING in NO AMBIGUIOUS terms acceptable.

Need I continue?
Now act like Ann Robinson and remove the link.

John S Stuart

Posted: 25 Jun 06, 18:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The Invisible Queen wrote:
Second: How can I see if a video is official or not? I mean, is it written on the video or something? Because when I want to share something, I never know if I can do it or not.

Easy...

If in doubt, do not share. End of problem.

Panchgani user not visiting Queenzone.com
St Peter's Burnt Piano
Panchgani
Deity: 6372 posts

Posted: 26 Jun 06, 23:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Believe it or not ... it is good form to ask the QZ populace whether an item is official when one is not sure whether it is official. It is much better to ask than unwittingly posting an official item for download on QZ.

Roger: I like it. If you don't. Sod you!

Queen song poll: http://home.comcast.net/~vantricers/index.html

B-52's: I, I, I'm lookin for some fun - waitin for the REAL Queen Box Sets to come
bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 11:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"Hang on.. Let me get this straight. I thought it was okay to post links to videos, as long as the videos can't be downloaded from the links."

I've no idea if this is true or not dude, but it's trivially easy to download from youtube. More than once I've pasted a link to the place that does it (javimoya or whatever they're called) and I'm sure ol' Serry has done so too.

ANYWAY, my point is - it's not that hard to download from youtube, so if what you said is an actual rule, it wouldn't cover youtube.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
magicalfreddiemercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
magicalfreddiemercury
Deity: 2693 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 12:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Part of the problem is that newbies don't yet know this is an issue, so the thought to inquire whether a link is official before posting it is something that doesn't occur to them. Labeling them as selfish or calling them idiots because they're unfamiliar with the rules is ridiculous and immature, and quite frankly, dilutes the intended message. Believe it or not, it is possible to share information and advice about this site without insults to anyone.

"The others don't like my interviews. And frankly, I don't care much for theirs." ~ Freddie Mercury

Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 11:59 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Anyway, getting back to the topic, after John's policeman act which however well intentioned relevant to the topic, I love the video- Queen seemed to have an obsession with cages around this time what with back Chat etc and it's rather comical watching Brian trying to act. Roger's bemused commentary on GH2 is memorable.

hj
darcy user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 23 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 06:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Give the guy a break you girls. The one definate way to find out is for someone to message Brian on his site and ask if using youtube is bad mmkay.. Hell they posted a clip from the Return of the Champions dvd and if that was linked does that violate copyright.

As for the video, It is weird and completly diferent to what came before it. Which was primarily some sort of performane with instruments deal and was a complete conceptual thing where Bo-Rhap was mainly performance based.