Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Misconceptions :)

forum rss feed
Author

FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 20:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ah, young and innocent, LOL. For all of the people who got into Queen young and had really weird perceptions of their music. Or did very strange Queen-obsessed things at a young age.

Here's a few of mine:

1. I didn't get the undertones of Don't Stop Me Now, and planned on singing it for a school talent show. I was only stopped because I was a year too young. Luckily, I never got the experience of my teachers going, "wait... SEX MACHINE!?"
2. I didn't get what Body Language was about, either.
3. In Bo Rhap, I thought it was the mother that killed the man.
4. In 3rd grade I made a volcano and used one of those talk-boy pens to record Under Pressure and play it when the volcano erupted.
5. I thought that in Bicycle Race, people should watch out for the Fat Bottomed Girls because they run people off the road. (Why I thought this, I do not know.)
6. I always associated You're My Best Friend with this stuffed dog I had.
7. I used to write Christmas pagents that would feature "Seven Seas of Rhye" and other songs off Greatest Hits (American version). "Now I'm Here" was always the credits music.
8. I thought Play the Game was actually about a game - I assumed Chess.
9. I giggled because Body Language had the word "sexy" in it, not realizing that the ENTIRE SONG was really, really DIRTY.
10. I had a classmate with a very similar name to Roger's, and it always boggled my mind that Roger was so cool and my classmate was so annoying. (I also had a classmate named Levan, whom I always thought of when I heard "Levon" by Elton John.)
11. I probably tried to write a letter to Freddie. I don't specifically remember doing it, but I probably did. It would be pretty sad if I actually sent it.
12. I thought that Fat Bottomed Girls' line about "Are you gonna take me home tonight?
Ah down beside that red firelight" just meant that the girls lived on a street with a streetlight.

"Brian May, Freddie will."
DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 20:47 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that in Bo-Rhap the mother killed the man too...

I used to think WWRY repeated MUD ON YOUR FACE BIG DISGRACE everytime... i was 5 what did i know??

I thought that mountain dew commerical they did spoofing the Bo-Rhap video was actually them... but again, i was younger and not as into the world of queen i am now...

I thought You're My Best Friend was the Beatles for a time...

And thats about it i think for the time being...
lol
aahhh i miss being that young and innocent sometimes...

skiqueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 678 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 21:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

1. I thought Freddie looked like my dad
2. when i was younger and i only had one queen album, night at the opera (my parents didnt take me seriously when i asked them i wanted more), i thought that roger's voice was brian's and brian's voice was roger's.
3. i didnt really get body language until one day i was home listening to it and i paid attention to the lyrics. my mom was in the room and i was blushing like mad when i realized what that song was all about
4. in killer queen, when freddie sang 'went down to geisha minah, i thought he was saying (blushing) vagina so, even though it hurt me, i would always skip it in the car and my mom would yell at me because she liked it
5. when i saw the bohemian rhapsody video for the first time, i thought freddie was elton john.......
6. i could never remember the band members name
theres probably more, i just dont remember....

"Boredom is the biggest disease in the whole world, darling."

Unfortunately, I have it.

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 21:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

my friend tried to convince me that Brian sang "Save Me"....

She said that she knew because it was written in the sleeve of one of her compliation albums who sang it...
I tried telling her that was who wrote it...
She wouldnt believe me...

I think she still thinks thats how it goes...
o well!

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 23:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought that on the sleeves, where it said who wrote the song, was the one who sang it... so when I went to listen to the Prophet's Song after like a million years, I was like, "Brian sounds different!" XD

On the pic on the sleeve of ANATO, my sister talked me into thinking Roger was actually Brian.
"But what about the blonde hair?", I asked.
"Just the lighting.", my sister told me. :P

Then I didn't know the slender fellow with eyeliner and black nail polish was the fit man with a moustache.. I also didn't believe he was the guy who hit high notes. So I thought the moustached guy had Roger's voice, and was therefore the drummer. And I got Brian and Freddie mixed up..

There's more.. on the pic inside the ADATR lyrics booklet, remember Deaky and those jumpers? I asked my dad, "Is that guy gay?" XD
He answered, "No, but this guy is.."
Then I noticed Freddie's ultra tight leotard! XD

-Things Have Changed For Me-
Ghana should have won user not visiting Queenzone.com

Be Gentle, I'm a newbie: 2 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 23:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i joined just to ask, since somebody posted smth about Fat Bottomed girls lyrics...

what did he mean by "down beside that red firelight"???? :D

Carol! the Musical user not visiting Queenzone.com
Carol! the Musical
Deity: 5934 posts

Posted: 27 Jun 06, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Like your nick. :-P

-Things Have Changed For Me-
mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 00:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For the longest time I had Freddie and Brian mixed up. Because of that I thought "Brian" died of AIDS which he must have contracted from a woman, cause he certainly didn't appear to be very gay at all.

The first time I listened to "Body Language" I thought Freddie said, "Knock me down for some sex anytime!"

I thought Freddie sang the "Made In Heaven" track close to his death like some of the others (i.e. "Mother Love...").

mayniac316 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1291 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 00:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ghana should have won wrote:

i joined just to ask, since somebody posted smth about Fat Bottomed girls lyrics...

what did he mean by "down beside that red firelight"???? :D

LOL! I joined to ask a question too! I'm sorry though, I don't know what he means by that exactly. Maybe a campfire to make some smores??

sparrow 21754 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1947 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 00:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

skiqueen wrote:

1. I thought Freddie looked like my dad

OH MY GOD SO DID I!!!!!
when i was little i thought....

freddie from the 70s and freddie from the 80s and 90s were all different people trying to sound like freddie.

i thought david bowie was a random guy picked from a sweepstakes to sing with queen.

i thought the kids on the miracle were actually them but they recorded them when they were little then used 'movie magic' to put the future them into the video....if that made sense

i thought the gorilla in 'im going slightly mad' was real.

i thought BoRhap freddie was a girl. i even asked my mom why a girl was singing for freddie.

i always thought 'sat on a fence' said 'son of a bitch' and THAT was a bad word O.O

i always knew freddie was gay, but it never phased me.

i always thought freddie would come back before i understood the concept of death :'-(

i wished queen would be in a movie or a comic (like, they, themselves)

me and my sissy used to make up stories and adventures for them.

we thought the 'keep yourself alive' video was hilarious.

im sure i have more.

why pay the visit when the visit is free?

"this shitty guitar wont play what i want! it only knows three chords!"
DragonOnMyBack user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 367 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 05:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian Rhapsody confused me for a short while. Not because of who killed the man or any of the lyrics really but because the first time (and only place I heard it for a while) was on my uncle's CD copy of Live Magic (the first CD I remember anyone in my family owning btw) with the opera section edited out.

When I eventually got around to listening to A Night at the Opera I could not get my head around the fact that it was the same song but with all that weird stuff in the middle. It was only after several listens of both versions one after the other that I realised what was going on and that the Live magic version was edited.

Kids Hey!!

Ayreon user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 139 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 06:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DragonOnMyBack wrote:

When I eventually got around to listening to A Night at the Opera I could not get my head around the fact that it was the same song but with all that weird stuff in the middle. It was only after several listens of both versions one after the other that I realised what was going on and that the Live magic version was edited.

I had the same experience!

Also i always thougth when i was little Freddie didnn't sing 'Save me" but "Sandy" which confused me because Sandy was the girl from Grease...

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 06:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

DreaminQueen wrote:

I thought that in Bo-Rhap the mother killed the man too...

I used to think WWRY repeated MUD ON YOUR FACE BIG DISGRACE everytime... i was 5 what did i know??

I thought that mountain dew commerical they did spoofing the Bo-Rhap video was actually them... but again, i was younger and not as into the world of queen i am now...

I thought You're My Best Friend was the Beatles for a time...

And thats about it i think for the time being...
lol
aahhh i miss being that young and innocent sometimes...

But the Mountain Dew thing was only a few years ago! AHHHH!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
7 seas of Rhye user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1817 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I've finally got my little brother into Queen! It is so funny when he tries to sing their songs, he gets all the words wrong.

For "Death on Two Legs" he says "Jumping to Late!"

For Radiogaga, when it goes,"Someone still loves you!" He says "You can learn kongfu!"

For Under pressure, when it goes, "Pressure, pushing down on me, pushing down on you" he says "Bushup, Bushup killed my friend, he's a friend killer"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoo21lvza8

^greatest video ever made

"If I get the answer wrong, you can kick me in the nuts" -Sean

I am the most obsessed Queen fan.
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 11:50 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Freddie looked some young computer geek with acne before I had ever seen a picture of him.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Huge*Queen*Fan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Champion: 82 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i could never work out who sung AKOM

"And still I fear and still I dear not laugh at the mad man" - Brian May

Bri is soooo HOT!!!
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 11:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I thought Brian was the one with the raspy voice.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Hooligan's Holiday user not visiting Queenzone.com
Hooligan's Holiday
Royalty: 1002 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 12:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

About a year or two ago, when I first got into Queen, I thought Brian was Roger, and Roger was Brian.

We are, we are the saints

We signed our life away

Doesn't matter what you think

We're gonna do it anyway

We are, we are the saints

One day you will confess

And pray to the

Saints of Los Angeles
Mr.Jingles user not visiting Queenzone.com
Mr.Jingles
Deity: 10532 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 12:17 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For a long time I thought that the intro verse for 'Who Wants To Live Forever' was sung by Freddie under a different tone.
It was only when I watched the video that I realized it was Brian.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Brandon wrote: [/QUOTENAME]... and now the "best you can offer is Mr. Jingles? HA! He's... just pathetic.[/QUOTE]
FreddiesGhettoTrench user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1624 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 13:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was in fourth grade, we wrote a musical of Miss Nelson is Missing, and we got to name some of the characters. And I named the character I played Lila, and another character Freddie.

And this guy I don't like very much played Freddie, and I find it hilarious that he never knew where the name came from.

"Brian May, Freddie will."