Forums > Queen - General Discussion > The 2nd coming of Freddie

forum rss feed
Author

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 03:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The more I hear the guy, the more I am convinced that Rufus Wainwright is as close to Freddie as any living artist in this world. I know they are both flaming gay, but I truly see this as a coincidence, unimportant to my thoughts behind why Rufus is the new Freddie.

Queen fans out there should trust me in checking out this obscure artist named Rufus. The guy has been quoted by Elton John as the "Greatest songwriter alive today." I agree totally with this statement. There is something about his music that is 100% relevant to all styles/perods of music. The guy's style is best described by me as mature, being a hybrid of only the most respectable of music, crossing styles together like never before.

In short, Freddie's genious ability to write a unique song filled with power and style has finally been matched by a Canadian/American singer with a powerful nasal voice, classical to modern writing style and above all, Rufus is a one of a kind talent that creates songs that somehow are always able to grow better each time you hear them rather than grow played out and stale.

This is what I have been waiting for, a current creative force whose music rivals the majesty of Queen's.

beautifulsoup user not visiting Queenzone.com
beautifulsoup
Royalty: 1797 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 09:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I didn't think Rufus was obscure...

"You are only young once, but you can stay immature indefinitely." - Ogden Nash
sweetlady16 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 137 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 09:35 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I kind of agree with you about him being close to freddie, he sort of sounds like him in the early days.

i can make a bigger bang then that dear.

http://queenofinnuendo.proboards54.com/index.cgi (my forum)
Poo, again user not visiting Queenzone.com
Poo, again
Deity: 4776 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 11:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

This can't be true. I'm supposed to be the next Freddie Mercury.

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

deadbird user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 188 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 14:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i think I disagree. rufus sounds depressed. He makes some cool music, some that I love... I dont think "Hallelujah" was really his, though, it was a cover...? I thought, yes.... anyway, He's a pretty good musical act out there now, yeah, but to compare him to Freddie is bogus. I'm not meaning to put rufus down but... there just arent many correclations you have except for that their both "good" and "unique" or something. Nasaly voice? no. and nothing really like Freddie's, actually.... and no incredible song that vivals any of Freddie's great ones. there will be great musicians in the future, yeah, but there will be no "next Freddie mercury." especailly here.

theGRAYSONATOR loves me.
Poo, again

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 14:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fine, then I'll be better than Freddie Mercury?

[QUOTE][QUOTENAME]Jake? wrote: I want him to shove it down my throat and shoot. Shoot! Shoot! C'mon! SHOOT! SHOOT!

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 15:02 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=pink>The Millionaire Waltz wrote:

Fine, then I'll be better than Freddie Mercury?

If you're better than Freddie.. then you're more than welcome to come to my house some time. ;)

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
FreddieForeverNr1 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 138 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 18:15 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

second freddie? my ass! how can you compare this guy to freddie? you obviously dont know much about music. First of all freddie had a voice that no other human being will ever have. His songwriting skills are million times better than this guy. Its a disgrace to compare someone like rufus with freddie coz he simply isnt ANYWHERE near, oh btw elton johns opinion dosent matter since he cant write music himself

if you want to hear REAL talent then check this band out instead!

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

bas asselbergs user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 212 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 18:25 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

try : http://www.daniellamercury.com she's a brasilian musician with the Mercury sirname...she's good, en gorgeous too !!!

lifelong loyal and dedicated Queenfan.
its_a_hard_life 26994 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 11046 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 19:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Ha! This makes me laugh, and no I'm not sorry for laughing. No one is the 2nd coming of Freddie Mercury.

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 20:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Exactly! no one will ever be as good as him! its just not possible.

jcrawford79 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 762 posts

Posted: 28 Jun 06, 22:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieForeverNr1 wrote:

second freddie? my ass! how can you compare this guy to freddie? you obviously dont know much about music. First of all freddie had a voice that no other human being will ever have. His songwriting skills are million times better than this guy. Its a disgrace to compare someone like rufus with freddie coz he simply isnt ANYWHERE near, oh btw elton johns opinion dosent matter since he cant write music himself

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42215463

After listening to the tracks uploaded on the link you provided, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. I didn't hear music....I only heard synths. Shit tons and shit tons of synths backing some singer trying to sound like the dude from A-ha.

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 00:30 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Thanks for starting this thread, I need a good laugh when I woke up. Needless to say, Dufus isn't anywhere near Freddie. Ha-ha.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 01:48 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jcrawford79 wrote:

FreddieForeverNr1 wrote:

After listening to the tracks uploaded on the link you provided, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic. I didn't hear music....I only heard synths. Shit tons and shit tons of synths backing some singer trying to sound like the dude from A-ha.

you didnt hear music? there is also bass, guitar and drums, maybe you should check your ears :)

If you didnt hear how talented the songwriting was then i guess you dont know much about music either :)

bobo the chimp user not visiting Queenzone.com
bobo the chimp
Deity: 12700 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 15:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

"If you didnt hear how talented the songwriting was then i guess you dont know much about music either :)"

You're both wrong. Not for the merits of the music you're discussing, but your attitude. I haven't listened to whatever it is you're talking about, but the old "my taste in music is better than your taste in music" argument is for dickheads. Just say you don't like it and have done with it.

"Your not funny, your not a good musician, theres a difference between being funny and being an idiot, you obviously being the latter" - Dave R Fuller
Mercuryking user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 842 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 15:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i dont think he meant that this group is the next Queen , but i think this group is has talent.

Poo, again

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 17:08 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreddieForeverNr1 wrote:

Exactly! no one will ever be as good as him! its just not possible.

Better, perhaps? :O

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 17:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

better? not in a billion years.

Poo, again

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 17:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Fine.

[/QUOTENAME]

[/QUOTE]

AmeriQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1072 posts

Posted: 29 Jun 06, 17:49 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Okay, for the record, I am not saying he is as good as Freddie, and no way in hell would I say he's better. What I am saying is that since Freddie, this is the best followup I have heard.

As a vocalist, Freddie wins. Freddie has a god-like power in his voice that takes him from Rock-a-billy to hard rock to opera to r&b, etc... Rufus has a phenomenal voice that is more nasal in sound and more similar to Billy Joel in style.

They both are dominant piano players, Rufus plays guitar as well.

Where the real comparison is that I notice is writing style. Their songs are rarely repetitive, always production conscious and many of the tracks from these two could be mistaken for one another. They both have well arranged backup vocal parts but lead most songs with their lead pipes. Both have a tendency to build up individual moments. I think Freddie is more explosive, more often but I think Rufus has a more natural grasp of creating simple melodies that are original and work.

Hey, as I probably said before, even Elton John said, "Rufus Wainwright is the strongest songwriting talent alive."

Those who know Rufus, how cool would it be to hear him cover:

The Millionare Waltz
Dreamer's Ball
You and I
White Queen
March of the Black Queen
Good Old Fashioned Lover Boy
Somebody To Love
We Are The Champions
Spred Your Wings
Play The Game
Dear Friends
Love of my Life

If Paul bails, this guy would fit better than anyone!!