Forums > Queen - General Discussion > Building my Queen CD collection...please help!!!

forum rss feed
Author

RETROLOVE user not visiting Queenzone.com
RETROLOVE
Deity: 2522 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 17:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I want to know what do you guys think I should start with. I think I'm gonna buy their very first CD and just work my way around it...what do you guys personal think, and how many 'offical' studio albums do they have in all?

Loving the pass, cherishing the present, and looking forward to the future

Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 17:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, they have 15 studio albums in all, from Queen to Made In Heaven.

Personally, I think you should begin with the early stuff, starting from Queen. Also, you should definitley consider investing in A Night at the Opera.

I think from Queen to Jazz is a good starting point.

As for live albums, definitley start off with Live at Wembley and Live at the Bowl. Pure magic. Live Killers is also a good listen of late seventies Queen, but only buy Live Magic if you are a die-hard collector. (That said, it does offer songs completley as they were heard live, with no overdubbings at all, but the length of most of the songs is cut to pieces)

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 17:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<B>Jellybean Queen<h6>sweetbodykisses<B> wrote:

I want to know what do you guys think I should start with. I think I'm gonna buy their very first CD and just work my way around it...what do you guys personal think, and how many 'offical' studio albums do they have in all?

Well you got Innuendo and some other albums all ready due to you knowing the lyrics and all and singing them on this forum... so, get what you don't have! Get the 70s stuff first I guess!

Thought you had the self titled all ready since you know Keep Yourself Alive so well!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 20:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

Well you got Innuendo and some other albums all ready due to you knowing the lyrics and all and singing them on this forum... so, get what you don't have! Get the 70s stuff first I guess!

Thought you had the self titled all ready since you know Keep Yourself Alive so well!

No babe, I'm a recent Queen fan, but I loooooooooooove Keep yourself alive, one of my favorite Queen songs!!!!

RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 20:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Sir Nathan The Cowboy wrote:

Well, they have 15 studio albums in all, from Queen to Made In Heaven.

Personally, I think you should begin with the early stuff, starting from Queen. Also, you should definitley consider investing in A Night at the Opera.

I think from Queen to Jazz is a good starting point.

As for live albums, definitley start off with Live at Wembley and Live at the Bowl. Pure magic. Live Killers is also a good listen of late seventies Queen, but only buy Live Magic if you are a die-hard collector. (That said, it does offer songs completley as they were heard live, with no overdubbings at all, but the length of most of the songs is cut to pieces)

I have the DVD live at Wembley, and I have the Milton Keys bowl DVD also...

Can I ask any of you guys a question who watched the special features of the 'live at wembley DVD' when Freddie, Roger, and Brian are being taken away into each of their own limo's...and they have towels over their faces, and its in slow motion...what the name of the song that plays....I really like that song, what's tha name?

The prophet's song user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1044 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 22:05 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

^ I think the song you're looking for is 'My Melancholy Blues' - it's on 'News of the World'.
I reckon you should get Queen II first, it's awesome!

"Either this kid has a lightbulb up his ass or his colon has a great idea"
SaveMe09 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 22:22 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Buy the crown jewels box set, it has the first 8 studio records, from Queen to The Game

RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 22:39 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

SaveMe09 wrote:

Buy the crown jewels box set, it has the first 8 studio records, from Queen to The Game

I thought about doing that also, but I heard that not all of of the songs are on the CD's in the jewel set, and I need to hear ALL of the songs, if I'm not mistaken, isnt it very limited?

RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The prophet's song wrote:

^ I think the song you're looking for is 'My Melancholy Blues' - it's on 'News of the World'.

Oh, man, I love that song, and it went right with the mood of them making their 'grand exit' right after the wembley concert....so bluesy and beautiful!!!!

RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 22:41 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

The prophet's song wrote:

Queen II seems like its boring, but I think I'm gonna take your word for it and get it!!!!

Bohemian MAY-niac/Deaconite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 22:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think starting off with their very first CD is a great idea. My collection started off with their Greatest Hits Platinum Collection. My dad bought it for me as a Birthday present. My collection grew from there. So, far I have "Queen", "News of the World, and "A Night at the Opera" as well as the "Platinum Collection". I highly recommend any of these. I always save a little money and go to the record store about once every two weeks and pick up a CD. My next purchase will hopefully be "Sheer Heart Attack".
My Queen DVD collection is growing too. I recieved "Greatest Video Hits vol.1" as a Graduation Present. I also have "Live at Wembley" and "Live at the Bowl".

I love John Deacon and Brian May!!!
RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 23:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian MAY-niac wrote:

I think starting off with their very first CD is a great idea. My collection started off with their Greatest Hits Platinum Collection. My dad bought it for me as a Birthday present. My collection grew from there. So, far I have "Queen", "News of the World, and "A Night at the Opera" as well as the "Platinum Collection". I highly recommend any of these. I always save a little money and go to the record store about once every two weeks and pick up a CD. My next purchase will hopefully be "Sheer Heart Attack".
My Queen DVD collection is growing too. I recieved "Greatest Video Hits vol.1" as a Graduation Present. I also have "Live at Wembley" and "Live at the Bowl".

Wow, great collection!!!

Isnt getting anything Queen related like Christmas 365 days a year!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!

so little time, so many CD's and DVD's.....mmmmmmm, time for me to get a job at 'BEST BUY' for their discount!!!

FreeSpirit328 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 259 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 23:38 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Jellybean Queen, I really recommend getting all the 70's CDs first. My absolute favorites are Jazz, A Day At the Races and A Night At The Opera. The others are great too.

From the 80's...I personally really like A Kind Of Magic the most, but that's just me.

I have ALL their DVDs too...well, all the afficial ones :)

www.youravon.com/jaberdeen

Direct delivery available to customers living outside of Rhode Island. Enter code REPFS to receive free shipping.
RETROLOVE

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 23:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreeSpirit328 wrote:

Jellybean Queen, I really recommend getting all the 70's CDs first. My absolute favorites are Jazz, A Day At the Races and A Night At The Opera. The others are great too.

From the 80's...I personally really like A Kind Of Magic the most, but that's just me.

See, I think I'm gonna start with the first Queen album and work my way up...'THE GAME' seems like a good album, but no-one on here has seems to talk about it a lot...same thing for 'THE WORKS'...but yeah, I think I will start with the 70's first and formost!!!

Bohemian MAY-niac/Deaconite user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 327 posts

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 23:51 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian MAY-niac wrote:

Wow, great collection!!!

Isnt getting anything Queen related like Christmas 365 days a year!!!! Yaaaaaaaay!!!!!

so little time, so many CD's and DVD's.....mmmmmmm, time for me to get a job at 'BEST BUY' for their discount!!!

I wish I had a Best Buy close to my house. But for now the mall is close enough. Just a short Bus ride down the road! that's where our local record store is. I love getting Queen related things as presents or even treating myself by buying a CD. I hope your collection grows. I'm pretty sure it will. I can't stop listening to "A Night at the Opera". My Dad keeps wanting to borrow it, because it has some "Vaudeville" style songs on it and that's what he likes. If you're able to get that CD, you will love it. Trust me!! :-)

I love John Deacon and Brian May!!!

Posted: 01 Jul 06, 23:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreeSpirit328 wrote:

See, I think I'm gonna start with the first Queen album and work my way up...'THE GAME' seems like a good album, but no-one on here has seems to talk about it a lot...same thing for 'THE WORKS'...but yeah, I think I will start with the 70's first and formost!!!

That's cool :)

I like the Worksand even hot space...yeah, I know...booo, lol

The Game...I had a hard time liking that one at first, but I like it now, so...

Direct delivery available to customers living outside of Rhode Island. Enter code REPFS to receive free shipping.
RETROLOVE

Posted: 02 Jul 06, 00:07 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Bohemian MAY-niac wrote:

Bohemian MAY-niac wrote:

Wow, great collection!!!

I wish I had a Best Buy close to my house. But for now the mall is close enough. Just a short Bus ride down the road! that's where our local record store is. I love getting Queen related things as presents or even treating myself by buying a CD. I hope your collection grows. I'm pretty sure it will. I can't stop listening to "A Night at the Opera". My Dad keeps wanting to borrow it, because it has some "Vaudeville" style songs on it and that's what he likes. If you're able to get that CD, you will love it. Trust me!! :-)

Isnt that lazing on a sunday afternoon?

RETROLOVE

Posted: 02 Jul 06, 00:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreeSpirit328 wrote:

FreeSpirit328 wrote:

What about 'The Mircale'...I looooooove breakthur, thats my song!!!

I want to breeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkthru.....NOW!!!!!!!!

(BASSLINE PLAYS)

Maruga user not visiting Queenzone.com
Maruga
Royalty: 1705 posts

Posted: 02 Jul 06, 00:16 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

For starting, i recommend Queen II, my favourite album ;)

Life Is A Bitch...

Posted: 02 Jul 06, 08:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

FreeSpirit328 wrote:

FreeSpirit328 wrote:

What about 'The Mircale'...I looooooove breakthur, thats my song!!!

I want to breeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkthru.....NOW!!!!!!!!

(BASSLINE PLAYS)

The Miracles good. I like eight songs off of it...you might like it all...who knows :)