Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > Innuendo Reviews

forum rss feed
Author

PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 12:32 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I was just reading some reviews of Innuendo by the press in the US and its amazing how much they really HATE Queen.

For example:

http://www.queenarchives.com/viewtopic.php?t=451

http://www.queenarchives.com/viewtopic.php?t=452

gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 12:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well for a country that gave us bands like Starship and Foreigner then what do you expect. Queen was way too sophisticated in their music and their humour for the US critics tiny minds. we had The Beatles the US had the Monkees so thats my point! number one albums in the US in 1991 the year of Innuendo included Michael Bolton and Paula Abdul, HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.

Erin user not visiting Queenzone.com
Erin
Deity: 8445 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 13:43 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Those reviewers are weenises.

gem27 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 243 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 16:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

that's why i still think Freddie did the right thing in not announcing his illness until the very end. as Brian said he didn't want people buying his music out of sympathy. i bet when Freddie saw those reviews he was used to it and had heard the same things for 20 years. i would think he was glad even if he was called a pretentious twit rather than it being a glowing review only because of sympathy because he was dying. let's face it they would never have wrote that about a dying man so it would have been a false review. Freddie never wanted anything to change for people to act any different just because he had AIDS. Innuendo the album and Innuendo the single both got to number 1 in the UK in 1991 anyway and at least Freddie would know it was there on merit not some kind of sympathy buying. People who bought it and took it to number 1 did so because they rated Queen very high and no other reason.

TRS-Romania user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 650 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gem27 wrote:

that's why i still think Freddie did the right thing in not announcing his illness until the very end. as Brian said he didn't want people buying his music out of sympathy. i bet when Freddie saw those reviews he was used to it and had heard the same things for 20 years. i would think he was glad even if he was called a pretentious twit rather than it being a glowing review only because of sympathy because he was dying. let's face it they would never have wrote that about a dying man so it would have been a false review. Freddie never wanted anything to change for people to act any different just because he had AIDS. Innuendo the album and Innuendo the single both got to number 1 in the UK in 1991 anyway and at least Freddie would know it was there on merit not some kind of sympathy buying. People who bought it and took it to number 1 did so because they rated Queen very high and no other reason.

Well said !

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 16:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

gem27 wrote:

And the single of Innuendo actually made #17 on the mainstream rock tracks despite the fact it wasn't a regular released single here in the US.

Critics are critics. Failed musicians as Freddie said.

And, Queen are famous here in the US despite what critics said, Queen usually went gold here.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 18:34 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Hey, like Freddie used to say, critics are just jealous failed performers! :-P

Critics are just a bunch of lazy fucks with bad opinions.

DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 19:12 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

well first of all, im very miffed at these reviews. And as an american, i can honestly say, mainstream America doesnt know good music... Case and point, look at our top 40 right now... most of those artists have minimal talent at best...

Second, i like Foreigner, they're a pretty good band, they dont beat QUEEN or can even hold a candle to them, but still better then alot of other crap.

Thirdly, that first review was written by someone in Louisiana, apart of the Bible Belt, they are extremely conservative. So sadly as usual, pretentious (and i use the term loosely) "musical journalists" may have taken into account the fact that its a ROCK GROUP and that (as usual arrogance rules over giving music a chance)Freddie was gay may have had something to do with such harsh words.

I mean Rolling Stone didnt like Led Zeppelin when they emerged either. So that goes to show you how much American "music journalists" know about GREAT rock N roll...

And in fact, it was the ones who wrote those horrid review who are the "Bombastic and pretentious twits"... They wouldnt know good music because they dont even know their ass from a hole in the ground...

Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden user not visiting Queenzone.com
Um...hi.
Ella! Formerly known as the Metal Maiden
Royalty: 1009 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 20:20 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Look who's talking!my god! let them take a look at themselves. they say that queen sucks because they suck. and in fact, i think that innuendo is a very good album. "i'm going slightly mad" is actually one of my favorite queen songs. delilah isnt bad either. i don't have much to say because im speechless at what those a**holes wrote. all i can say is that queen is one of the best fcukin bands in the world and that nobody can say anything because queen is too strong for them.

I find it difficult to navigate QZ at this very moment.
KingMercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 345 posts

Posted: 06 Jul 06, 23:57 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

for things like those i cant understand why queen+pr went to USA and still not to Southamerica
most of people there dont know most of queen songs

i guess that, after freddie`s death, that fucking asshole journalist (who laughed about TATDOOL lyrics) understood what "you cant turn back the clock, you cant turn back the time, aint that a shame??" was about

fuckin yankees

"I`m Just A Singer With A Song...How Can I Try to Right The Wrong"
Oszmercury user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 229 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 00:06 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Innuendo is to Queen what Abbey Road is to the Beatles

Loser in the end!!!
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury user not visiting Queenzone.com
Adolfo and the spiders from Mercury
Royalty: 1054 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 00:11 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

how can they say that!, those fuckers!!!

:)
rhyeking user not visiting Queenzone.com
rhyeking
Royalty: 1566 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 01:18 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Just stop reading reviews. Why care what someone else thought of an album? If they praised it would that change your opinion of the album? Jeez, we're all intelligent people, why do we put so much stock in what gets printed in magazines and newspapers.

Here's some news: very very few people writing for any published news outlet are more qualified than you to comment on anything. Just because they work for a paper doesn't mean they know more than you. It's a lesson of life and we'll all be happier when the commentary decreases and straight reporting increases.

Put the paper down, turn that computer off and do what Roger says, get out and meet people on streets!

Me, I'm taking a train across the province tomorrow and the laptop is staying home! Just my discman, a CD wallet (yup, old school!) and my luggage.

Peace out

All I Hear Is Radio Gaga user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1181 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 02:10 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I hate the press...down with them!

Cheers
H

"Take The First Step In Faith, You Don't Have To See The Whole Staircase, Just Take The First Step."
dtucra user not visiting Queenzone.com

Rocker: 43 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 03:28 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Why do you even read them? I gave up a long time ago; We don't need their confirmation or something, Freddie didn't either. so why bother? Bunch of stupids, that's all they are. And they do not deserve this kind of attention from us or anyone for that matter.

chefman5150 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 290 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 05:53 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well shit howdy...these critic assholes don't know WTF they are saying. I'm wondering if they even listened to Innuendo, because I think it's one of Queen's finest hours, and clearly some of their best music!! I live in the USA, and I read some reviews of Innuendo (besides these two shitty ones) that were actually semi-positive, and one even said that it was a return back to their days of 'A Night At The Opera', which I have to agree with. From what I remember (I was only 11 at the time), Innuendo was fairly well-recieved in the States, so fuck these critics...they don't know shit from shine-ola!!

Ain't Much I'm Asking...If You Want the Truth...
Voice of Reason 2014 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1059 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 07:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

When I was young and getting into music I did get a shock at some of the reviews. Then I came to laugh at them. Smash Hits review of Mr Bad Guy included something like 'in the background rent-an-orchestra play out something between ninth-rate caberet and tenth-rate Eurovision!'

I still don't know why magazines such as Smash Hits seemed to have it in for them!

"Build your muscles as your body decays!"
Asterik user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 649 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 09:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well who cares about the American magazines where Queen had lost their market? I would be more interested in what British magazines said at the time; I hope some UK reviews are put on that site too because I'd imagine them to be more positive.

hj
Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 10:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Asterik wrote:

Well who cares about the American magazines where Queen had lost their market? I would be more interested in what British magazines said at the time; I hope some UK reviews are put on that site too because I'd imagine them to be more positive.

Yeah, but things like Rolling Stone were dissing every album after A Night At The Opera, for some reason. They even dissed The Game which was #1.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
PieterMC user not visiting Queenzone.com
PieterMC
Deity: 3931 posts

Posted: 07 Jul 06, 11:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Asterik wrote:

If I can find some they will be added.