Forums > Queen - Serious Discussion > What have Queen Productions against...

forum rss feed
Author

Indo77 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 155 posts
add to buddy list send PM

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 06:33 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What have Queen Productions against releasing 70s concerts on DVD. It amazes me that they have not picked up on the want list for 70s live material but still give fans subpar concerts from the 80s when the band were a stadium band. Stadium performances do not necessarily mean brillant shows. I have seen Earl's Court, Houston, Hammersmith 79' and these concerts are excellent. There is some mic issues that affect earl's court and some bad camera angles, but if QP have the master tapes then these problems can be resolved during post production. Why won't QP release a 70s boxset but leave us to make do with poor quality bootlegs. Don't get me wrong I appreciate anyone who shared this material but some of this footage should have been released on DVD a long time ago. What is the true motivation stopping QP from releasing this material. Queen peaked as a group musically in the late 70s.

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 07:45 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Copyrights mostly I think. Also Roger/Brian or even John not being satisfied with the original quality or the performance of the material. It's a bloody shame I know but there's nothing we can do about it.

rocks. user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1808 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 08:31 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Somebody e-mail brian and ask him why, rofl.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 09:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think it's,

Despite most Queen fans loving the 1970s music better, you gotta remember Queen's albums in the 80s and 90s sold VERY well and they made many fans from other countries and most people remember Freddie with a mustache, even in the USA, where, while having a majority of hits in the 70s, Freddie made quite a appearence in the 80s.

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
Boy Thomas Raker user not visiting Queenzone.com

Bohemian: 969 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 10:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Leah has it pretty much spot on Indo77. Yes, Queen peaked musically and creatively (and IMHO, as a live rock and roll act) in the 70s. But their big sales were in the 80s and 90s. So we get the rehashed big stadium shows instead of their rockier performances from the 70s which were free of samplers and triggers and synth drums, just 4 great musicians playing balls out rock music.

You know, good times are now.
DreaminQueen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1382 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 19:27 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I honestly couldnt say.
I wish they would, because as a younger QUEEN fan, i dont have access to these things. And i'm not very comfortable with downloading bootlegs at this point...

Its not even in the workings and isnt allowed to be leaked by anychance? Never mind. Thats just my extremely overactive imagination....

AlexRocks user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1358 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 22:29 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

I think all of this will be released. They aren't going to flood the markets people. They have already even said that they will release this stuff. They have released at least one d.v.d a year now for a few years. Some artists wait five years for their next d.v.d. I think we have been lucky to get as many as we have at this point and in a few years we will have something from the 1970's.

Winter Land Man user not visiting Queenzone.com
Jake
Winter Land Man
Deity: 4400 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 22:58 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Plus us young people need a DVD each year to provide us for a lifetime of videos. Imagine if we got it all released in a year? Nothing to look foreward to!

"Please buy my upcoming album... I need the money"
eenaweena. user not visiting Queenzone.com
eenaweena.
Deity: 2355 posts

Posted: 14 Jul 06, 23:24 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

i really wanna see those live bits on dvd, being only 15. i mean, i've never actually reached them doing tours, so this is the best way i can profess my undying queen fanaticism. (?) hehe. anyways, it's worth a shot, right?

brENsKi user not visiting Queenzone.com
How shall we f**k off, Oh Lord
brENsKi
Deity: 8088 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 06, 03:37 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

I think it's,

even in the USA, where, while having a majority of hits in the 70s, Freddie made quite a appearence in the 80s.

queen were finished in by 82 in the USA...Hot Space did that

go deo na hÉireann
bitesthedust user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 3242 posts

Posted: 15 Jul 06, 11:23 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

<font color=green>Bren<font color=orange>ski wrote:

Messenger Of Leah wrote:

I think it's,

even in the USA, where, while having a majority of hits in the 70s, Freddie made quite a appearence in the 80s.

queen were finished in by 82 in the USA...Hot Space did that

That and I Want To Break Free. Having said that, Brian and Roger have gone on record as saying that if they had had a tremendous hit in the States they would have gone back....but for the aforementioned reasons this was not likely; when you look at the chart positions reached for The Works - Innuendo singles (excluding Bo Rhap/Show Must Go On).

Lord Fickle user not visiting Queenzone.com

Royalty: 1421 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 12:42 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Brian has already talked about DVD-As of QII and ADATR, and I also think more concert DVDs will follow, but nothing will happen until the Q+PR thing goes cold. Brian will want a break after touring, and as we know, he likes to be heavily involved in any 'new' releases. My guess would be that, unless there is a surprise round about November, there will be nothing until 2007. I hope that the next project will be a 30th Anniversary edition of ADATR, with 5.1 sound, and an accompanying documentary - not stupid bloody seaside videos!

Remember to deliver with the speed of light

A little bit of love and joy
Nathan user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2305 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 12:44 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

What is a DVD-audio?

Penetration_Guru user not visiting Queenzone.com
Penetration_Guru
Deity: 11013 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 12:56 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

It's something only fully explained via that rarest of internet sites, the "search engine"

Jjeroen user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 4781 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 13:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Earl's Court has more problems then just the mic and the not-too-nice angeles, as you call it.
As am atter of fact; the mic is the easiest thing to correct. (By a simple overdub as FBG on The Bowl DVD)

But anybody that has seen the master of this video or clones of the master, will see and agree that there are very noticable issues with the image quality of the material. Most of it is excellent, but there are parts where indeed the mastertape is inferior and probably just slightly beyond the point of being able to be decently repared in post production.
For an official DVD release: too many people (average fans or generally interested market) would probably complain that the imagequality is inferior for DVD...

Unfortunately!

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 13:26 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

jeroen wrote:

Earl's Court has more problems then just the mic and the not-too-nice angeles, as you call it.
As am atter of fact; the mic is the easiest thing to correct. (By a simple overdub as FBG on The Bowl DVD)

But anybody that has seen the master of this video or clones of the master, will see and agree that there are very noticable issues with the image quality of the material. Most of it is excellent, but there are parts where indeed the mastertape is inferior and probably just slightly beyond the point of being able to be decently repared in post production.
For an official DVD release: too many people (average fans or generally interested market) would probably complain that the imagequality is inferior for DVD...

Unfortunately!

yup, agreed. I have a copy of the show and it's not just the mic problems...image as well like you say.

« Jay » user not visiting Queenzone.com
« Jay »
Bohemian: 843 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 15:03 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

But if they combined it with the footage of the second night? Many people say that what they have seen of the second night is indeed much better filmed then the first night, it's possible that they didn't have any mic problems then.

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 15:09 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

Well, a complete recording is in the archives. At the moment only a professional recording of 12 minutes (Killer Queen & Rock N Roll Medley) is available.

flash! 28068 user not visiting Queenzone.com

Deity: 2995 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 16:55 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

You should know full well now that Queen Productions are just plain lazy!

"It’s not often we play in daylight, and I fucking well wish we did before, I can see you all now. And there are some beauties here tonight, I can tell you!" ;)
The Real Wizard user not visiting Queenzone.com
The Real Wizard
Deity: 18625 posts

Posted: 16 Jul 06, 23:13 Edit this post Reply to this post Reply with Quote

« Jay » wrote:

But if they combined it with the footage of the second night? Many people say that what they have seen of the second night is indeed much better filmed then the first night, it's possible that they didn't have any mic problems then.

Exactly. The footage is much brighter on the second night. If it looks this good even on the Rare Live VHS, imagine how it would look after it was tweaked up for an official DVD release.

"The more generous you are with your music, the more it comes back to you." -- Dan Lampinski

http://www.queenlive.ca